Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2016, 03:44 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dash computer drawer won't stay closed

On our recently acquired 2010 Allegro Red 38QBA, the passenger side dash mounted drawer with computer top slide out refuses to stay closed. I have taken both pieces out, checked all drawer slides we're screwed in properly, etc.

I have been able to determine that with facing board in the computer top, the drawer underneath cannot be pushed all the way in, so that the rollers would pressure fit into the rear of the slides.

As for the top, it is a heavy solid piece that I highly suspect is overpowering the drawer so that under even the most slow and careful movements forward in our rig, the whole shebang slides immediately out.

I have sent a request to Tiffin Customer Service, but so far, no reply. I am not interested in a funky fix as the all of the rest of the coach is in immaculate condition and I would like all of the dash accoutrements to match.

I have thought of drilling into from the bottom and installing a threaded bolt with a cabinet type knob but I first would like to know if any other Tiffin product owners out there have encountered this issue, and how you resolved it.

Thanks!

HD Ultra
2010 Allegro 38QBA
HD Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 04:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Ultra View Post
On our recently acquired 2010 Allegro Red 38QBA, the passenger side dash mounted drawer with computer top slide out refuses to stay closed. I have taken both pieces out, checked all drawer slides we're screwed in properly, etc.
I have been able to determine that with facing board in the computer top, the drawer underneath cannot be pushed all the way in, so that the rollers would pressure fit into the rear of the slides.
As for the top, it is a heavy solid piece that I highly suspect is overpowering the drawer so that under even the most slow and careful movements forward in our rig, the whole shebang slides immediately out.
I have sent a request to Tiffin Customer Service, but so far, no reply. I am not interested in a funky fix as the all of the rest of the coach is in immaculate condition and I would like all of the dash accoutrements to match.
I have thought of drilling into from the bottom and installing a threaded bolt with a cabinet type knob but I first would like to know if any other Tiffin product owners out there have encountered this issue, and how you resolved it.
Thanks!
HD Ultra
2010 Allegro 38QBA
HD Ultra
On my Safari the computer drawer is held closed with one of these plastic catches: https://www.biscoind.com/Southco/C3-...FQiqaQodrnUHew
It's mounted in back of the drawer.

Because your drawer "cannot be pushed all the way in" I suspect you have a similar drawer catch that has malfunctioned or broken.
(Many RV part stores have those catches on hand).

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:44 PM   #3

We had the same problem on our 2013 Bus. Tiffin played with it twice and I got nothing fixed. I finally installed a key lock similar to the one shown here. The lock did have to be placed at the bottom of the drawer instead of at the top where you would usually expect to see it. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44323-T...7934807&sr=1-3
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:51 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mel,

Thanks! In my inspection of the drawer I found nothing like that at all on the back or inside the drawer cavity in the back. The rear top of the drawer has what I thought was magnet but I found a plastic panel inside the rear of the cavity.

With that said, I like your suggestion very much, which would certainly take care of the drawer sliding issue. Next, I need to find a solution for the top computer desk from sliding out. That particular part slides as if it's rails are greased.

I have given thought to bending the rails in somewhat in the hopes it would hold in place so that one would actually have to pull it out.

HD Ultra
Old 07-07-2016, 05:59 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Pigman,

Good idea. Do you happen to have a pic of how it turned out? Does it hold in both the drawer and computer desk?

Thanks,

HD Ultra
Old 07-07-2016, 06:44 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Ultra View Post
Hi Pigman,

Good idea. Do you happen to have a pic of how it turned out? Does it hold in both the drawer and computer desk?

Thanks,

HD Ultra
You likely have Accuride drawer slides. If you remove the drawer, there are rubber bump stops at the end of the slides in the cabinet.
They get worn. You can reverse them one time. You sill see two fingers at the ends of the drawer mounted rails, these grip the bumper to hold the drawer closed.

Accuride has sent me a half dozen spares for all of me drawers.

Dan
Old 07-07-2016, 06:56 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dan,

I do appreciate it. Just put my coach into 2 month storage today but will be back in 3 weeks for engine and generator running. I will be checking that out.

Thanks,

HD Ultra
Old 07-11-2016, 06:57 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
That link to a plastic latch Mel S sent you (HD Ultra) should do the trick. These latches are used all thru our 2011 Tiffin Allegro on drawers to keep them closed, including the computer slide drawer in front of the PS. Within last 10-days I called Tiffin and for $5.50 (est) they sent me a replacement latch for one of my drawers in the bath vanity area. Biggest install problem was tight working quarters for a guy with fat mitts.
Fancy Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info. If I ever had such a latch in there, there is no such evidence of one. What I have decided to do is this:
Install two roller latches for the drawer (inside at the back)
Lightly bend in the computer top slides (inside the drawer) to
create more drag to hold it in. If this does not work, then two
roller latches for that piece.
An unobtrusive smooth satin nickel 3" pull on drawer front
Once I have completed these mods, I will repost here to advise on their effectiveness.

Naturally, I sincerely hope they cure my issue with this one.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Same issue on our 2014 Phaeton. Velcro on the edge has worked.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:26 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad it worked on your Phaeton. As you saw on my first post, our drawer and top fly out as if there even no slides.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:33 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not a problem with our 2011 phaeton.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:53 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi All,

As it turned out, my roller latch idea is not going to work. At least for the bottom drawer. There simply is no room at the back. The rear of the drawer, when closed, appears to have 1/16th of an inch clearance from being flush with plastic panel that is back there.

I COULD still use the roller latch on the computer top but obviously not until the drawer STAYS closed while we are driving.

I also checked and do have the rubber ends at the rear of the drawer slides. I highly suspect my drawer slides have seen better days. I am going to go ahead and replace them and then go from there.

Thinking about, maybe the latch that Mel suggested would fit on the sides of the drawer?

Anyone have pics of how there drawer/computer top on PS side locks into place?

Thank You!!!!
Old 07-15-2016, 03:04 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I had the same issue. I just mis-adjusted the slides (both sides) so the draw didn't slide so easily. Now it's OK.

btw - I made that computer platform into a drawer. If interested PM me and I'll send photos.

Tags
computer, dash