Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2007, 11:30 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the Allegro Bay 37DB and need to re-string the day/night blinds. I can order the kit form dirtyblindman.com but I cannot see how the heck they are being held under the valance. A girl I talked to at Tiffin said they have 2 clips on each side you push up and rock the blind outward and they should pop right out. I tried this and worried I would break something. So if anyone if familiar with this, can you give me the secret on how to get them down. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2007, 11:30 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the Allegro Bay 37DB and need to re-string the day/night blinds. I can order the kit form dirtyblindman.com but I cannot see how the heck they are being held under the valance. A girl I talked to at Tiffin said they have 2 clips on each side you push up and rock the blind outward and they should pop right out. I tried this and worried I would break something. So if anyone if familiar with this, can you give me the secret on how to get them down. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:44 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Keep rocking it and it will come out. I just did mine and it took awaile for it to turn loose but it did. Goes back in great. Good luck.
hwrsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:20 PM   #4

Ditto the 'keep working at it'. Going back in, I hold them and DW snaps them in because my thumbs are weaker than hers! The shades in our Tropi-Cal had a tag on the bottom that told where to send them for restringing lifetime warranty. We sent a couple in (you pay shipping one way), and they came back pretty quick. Might want to check that on yours. Later on, DW decided to tackle the restringing herself. We were able to call the factory and they sent the correct color string and fasteners for no charge. She's done 12 shades now and is something of an expert! If you need diagrams let us know. Best of luck.
elgarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
paz

I have found it's easier to just take the valence down. My blinds are held against the clips by a screw on the opposite side of the top rail so I don't know if I could even get them off without taking down the valence and removing the screws.

While you have the blinds apart, there are metal grommets where the cords run through each of the rails. I had problems with several strings re-breaking shortly after being replaced until I started to peen the grommets flat. Most of the grommets have a sharp edge, which is what wore the strings in the first place. So far, none of the ones blinds where I flattened the grommets have had strings re-break.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:43 AM   #6

When you finally get the shades off the window, bundle them up & mail them back to Tiffin. They are guaranteed for life. They will restring free. Just costs you postage.
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:28 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Well the shipping can cost a lot more than just restringing them yourself. Our first 5vr shade cost $15 to restring and $50 for shipping. Then we found out about buying the cord online and restring them ourselves. The rig is 5 years old and all of the cords are beginning to fray. So DH has restrung about 4 more shades so far and we keep the cord in the rig so we can fix them where ever we are.
Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:20 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
BorntoCamp; We fulltime in our 37DB and finally gave up with the breaking strings and broken fingernails. We replaced the day/night shades with custom 1" wooden miniblinds from justblinds.com. They match the interior wood perfectly, don't rattle (used velcro on the bottom of shade & valance), keep out the light better, and best of all, let air in while still maintaining privacy. You can see pictures on our blog, or if you PM me, I'll send you some. We're glad we made the change, wish we would have done it sooner.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote