Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2010, 08:12 AM   #1

DC Charging while driving

Help, looking for any suggestions on troubleshooting a DC charging problem. I have a 2005 Phaeton 38 the problem is the batteries do not charge while the engine is running. Charges ok on shore power and Generator but not while driving. I have determined this as the DC voltage at the battery remains the same when engine is off or running. The DC voltage increases at the batteries when on AC or Gen power. On a previous coach I had a similar problem and replaced a solenoid but that was a much simpler coach. Near the batteries there is a bank of heavy duty solenoids but can’t tell which one would manage the charging circuit. Suggestions?
Thanks
KTMONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Well, when your generator is running or you are on shore-power your batteries are being charged from your converter. While your engine is running your batteries are being charged from your alternator. I would first make sure your alternator is working properly. Is it possible to trace the heavy duty wire from the alternator to the battery compartment? This should take you to the right solenoid. Check all connections for corrosion or loose terminals. Good luck.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On a motor home there is a device called an Isolator, this may be a long box with fins and 3 big wires on it (optionally a 4th smaller wire) or it may be something that looks for all the world like a Ford starter solenoid (They are NOT interchangable)

I have a friend with a diode isolator that has an open diode.. Same symptoms you have

If you have a solenoid isolator it might be the solenoid or it might be the control board.

Personally.. I prefer the solenoid type.. And bi-directional as well.

(A bi directional solenoid will charge the chassis battery off the house converter, as well as the house battery off the engine alternator)
Old 10-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
DC charging while driving

On my coach, 2010 qrp, there is a large fuse (100 amp) in the engine compartment that was blown. you may check there.
doublej1808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:28 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
If it is only the house batteries that are not charging, check the charge solenoid in the electrical bay as these some times stick. you can go to the A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Index page web site and ask as there are many knowledgeable people there that have your model coach.
Keith & Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote