Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Chassis Battery Charging

Bamafan et al,

I am also draining chassis batteries while plugged in to shore power. What does the maintainer / trickle charger that Tiffin uses look like? I can't find it on my 2005 Phaeton. The shore power hookup bay has a transfer switch, but nothing that looks like a charger. In the back bay on the curb side I have the house charger / inverter, but nothing else that looks like a charger.

I have a 10 amp charger on the chassis batteries now and it looks like it is taking the charge. I hope I didn't kill my 1-year old batteries, but they were below 10 volts when i checked them this morning.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2016, 01:08 PM   #16

When I got my coach 3 years ago, it sat in the yard for 2 weeks and my chassis battery was low (8D battery) Come to find my echo charger was bad
Xantrex Heart Echo Auxiliary Battery Charger | eBay
so I got the Magnum Combiner better system and works great
Magnum Smart Battery Combiner Me SBC | eBay
Some install this to charge there chassis batteries, EZ install.
AMP-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer - Overview Page
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:36 PM   #17

I think I will just replace the battery tender and keep the chassis batteries charged. And start it once a week.
Alibamafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:47 AM   #18

Think hard about starting it. Unless you plan on driving for more than an hour or so it will probably do more damage than you fix. I would be more inclined to check the voltage once a week and keep an external charger handy as long as shore power is available.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:49 PM   #19

Bad deal, let it set and check the batteries. These motors need to get up to temp and worked to get the moisture out of them after a startup. You also have the trans, hyd system to think about. If you do take it out start the gen set and run the ACs going down the road. Should be about an hour.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:23 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Installed LSL Ultra TRIK-L-START

I gave up looking for the OEM chassis battery charger and bought an LSL Ultra TRIK-L-START. It takes juice from the house battery charger when the house battery voltage is greater than 13 volts (when it is in float condition) and uses that to charge the chassis batteries. No AC wiring required, and the charger is very compact and light. It is marked with a Winnebago part number, so LSL must be (or used to be) a supplier to them.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:26 PM   #21

I found the battery tender on the street side in the compartment where shore power cord is located. Replaced the old one and batteries are holding fine.
Alibamafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:41 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Please Describe Battery Tender Appearance

AlibamaFan - Would you please describe the old tender? Approximate size, whether it had indicator lights, whether it had labels, its color, etc. In other words, was it obvious what you were looking at when you found it?

I would like to find mine and remove it. I get nervous knowing I have a malfunctioning device in the electrical systems.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:56 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPro View Post
AlibamaFan - Would you please describe the old tender? Approximate size, whether it had indicator lights, whether it had labels, its color, etc. In other words, was it obvious what you were looking at when you found it?

I would like to find mine and remove it. I get nervous knowing I have a malfunctioning device in the electrical systems.
Sometimes the tender/BIRD is not specifically labeled, and looks like this. It is found behind an unlabeled box cover on our rig. The box is about 12"X18" and is in a front driver's side bay. The BIRD (in this case) is almost in the upper left corner behind that green plastic thing that looks like a tuning fork (fuse puller) That is the brains of the system which in turn control various other relays to get current flowing where it is required. It may not be the brain logic board that has failed, it could be one of it's peripherals too. I think diagnosing is best left to a pro here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4321.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	120933  
FixerCQI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #24

ProjectPro
My battery tender on 2008 Phaeton was located in the compartment on drivers side where the shore cord is located. It was a small box approx. 2 1/2"x4" and was plugged into an outlet at the top of the compartment. The wires ran through to the curb side where the batteries are located. The wires were attached to the boost post mounted above batteries. I purchased a Genius 3500 tender which is working perfect. It gives the battery conditions at all times. I had to buy the extended cable that was an additional $10.00.

Tags
batteries, chassis