Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2015, 12:08 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Decompressing Air System

I have a 2014 Phaeton QBH 40' and I'm interested in finding out how to safely and easily decompress my air system so I can change out my quick connect on my Air Accessory Port (located in the driver's side front bay). The existing quick connect fits none of my 1/4" male plugs (fittings). This is the port usually used to blow up bicycle tires, rafts or blow off surfaces, etc. We are new at this RV game and are looking for some pointers. Thank you.
afrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #2

Just pump the brakes until the air is gone, with the engine off.

You should do that on occasion, just to check the refill times.

There may be pull lanyards hooked to the tanks that should be pulled also, to drain the last bit.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:15 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Weird, my RV fitting worked with it all of my airfittings that I've been using for years. Are you sure the problem just isn't that it has 100 lbs of pressure in it, and you're normally plugging into something much less?
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:01 PM   #4

Mine accepts the standard "single nub" fitting that is in use in every automotive shop and construction site that I've ever been in.

Many aircraft and industrial shops use a "2 nub" but it's unlikely that you have that setup.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:33 PM   #5

There will be lanyards on the air tanks to drain off pressure , the chassis manufacturer says the lanyards should be pulled every 6 months to check for water vapor in the tanks , if an vapor is seen the air system dryer is not doing it's job and requires attention.

JMHO: You may want to re-think your proposed usage. Blowing up a raft with the onboard compressor , might require running the engine for 10>15 mins. and the air suspension would raise up and require re-leveling the coach when your done .
Old 09-05-2015, 12:05 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The Air Chuck,that was factory installed was not intended to supply air to Your Toys ,but rather to provide a Tow Truck Operator a point to attach an Airline to release TheParking Brake and raise the Suspension so that The Vehicle can be removed from wherever during a breakdown!

The Air Chuck is not the same as The ones sold for Air operated Tools , so Yes the Fittings are slightly different!

On Our Rig , a 1998 Dutch Star by Newmar the Correct Fitting was and still is attached by a Zap Strap to the Female Fitting in case there is a need for it at some future date!
Old 09-05-2015, 06:58 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
My standard air fittings, which I have used on my home air compressor and tools for years, works just fine.

I have used it to add air to my tires, as well as to blow up a couple large air river floats (as recent as a couple weeks ago in CO). Only takes a couple minutes, not 15 minutes as suggested. I carry a 50' air hose, so I can reach all tires including toad. Nothing happens with the air suspension in my coach either, it's no different than applying the brakes....some device is using air from the main tank, so the compressor kicks in and keeps the tank pumped up.

Wouldn't think so, but perhaps Newmar's use a different fitting.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:47 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
The Air Chuck,that was factory installed was not intended to supply air to Your Toys ,but rather to provide a Tow Truck Operator a point to attach an Airline to release TheParking Brake and raise the Suspension so that The Vehicle can be removed from wherever during a breakdown!

The Air Chuck is not the same as The ones sold for Air operated Tools , so Yes the Fittings are slightly different!

On Our Rig , a 1998 Dutch Star by Newmar the Correct Fitting was and still is attached by a Zap Strap to the Female Fitting in case there is a need for it at some future date!
The front air chuck is not used to plug in the coach air for the Tow Truck Operators - at least not on the Freightliner chassis Tiffin uses. There is even labeling to that effect on the assembly. If a Tow Truck Operator needs to add air to the system, the correct location is near or on the air dryer.

To the OP, your standard air line fittings should be working. I believe that the line that supplies that fitting comes off the air bag circuit so if you are parked with the jacks down, it should be easier as there is minimal pressure in the system.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Decompressing Air System

With all due respect, the Freightliner Custom Chassis on my 2014 Phaeton does provide a manifold (located in the front most driver's side bay) which serves as an auxiliary air source for the express purpose of filling tires, inflating air toys, etc. I also purchased (from Freightliner) an Air Accessory Hose Kit designed to facilitate these tasks. Along with 10 feet of coiled hose, the Kit contains a brass quick connect (3/8 inch threads) which receives a 1/4 inch male plug. Also included is a manual turncock type shutoff, another desirable feature.

My concern is how to safely change out the existing quick connect on an air system under pressure. So...by pumping the brakes and ultimately pulling the lanyards (how many are there?), I can deplete the systems air pressure (both gauges on the dash will read zero?) and safely remove the existing quick connect? Appreciate your help.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:48 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club

Is this your installed fitting, brass female quick connect on the left? This is in the DS first basement.

The orange thing is my hose holder, with the male quick connect end visible.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Decompressing Air System

Not exactly sure. I am currently separated from my coach. Here's a pic I took last week...(hope it sends)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	465.9 KB
ID:	106024  
Old 09-06-2015, 08:39 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
That looks exactly like my hose bib. If your coach has been sitting for a while, there is no air pressure left in the system so grab your air hose and push it in. I think you will find it works fine. What is different about this fitting is that you can't slide the disconnect sleeve back when you insert the hose - unlike your other common air hoses and compressor. That only works after you have inserted the hose.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:52 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Decompressing Air System

That could explains things. I will try your suggestion. Thank you all so much!
Old 09-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post

Not correct concerning the FL chassis. The fitting is expressly for accessories and is check valve protected from the rest of the air system. Tow truck must connect at the air dryer.