RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DEF Tank on PS?!

Are all new Phaeton's built with the DEF tank n the PS and no access to fill on the DS?

Flying J has all its bulk DEF fills on the DS. I finally got down to one green square and decided to top off the DEF. I bought a 2 1/2 gal gasoline container and filled it three times. Oops I saw the spec that the tank held 25 gal and being down to 1/4 I assumed I had room for 18 gal.

This is a time consuming and messy procedure, but it sure beats paying 2.5 time as much per gal in the Gal jug. Does anyone have any better ideas? On the truck side it would be very unacceptable to go through the island backwards and there is no bulk DEF on the RV lanes, yet.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #2

To the best of my knowledge, Tiffin DEF are all on the PS. I have seen some puul through and thsn stop and use the fill from the next island over to fill the DEF.
By the way it is unlawful to sell DEF in any container unless it is in the correct "Blue" container. I found this out when I was stopped from filling into the clear 2 1/2 gal store bought. By the way I am seeing the price drop on DEF. some automotive parts stores now have it at $8.95.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ever thought of asking if you could pull in the 'other' way ?!?
OR just use the next pump from the passenger side.... not sure how much slack is in the def hoses as mine is right on the ds by the diesel fill...

I've been to flying J's where you were 10th in line with 15 pumps going at 6 or 7 pm so I avoid that time now,
but also been to some that had no one at any of the pumps...

judicious timing when the truckers are not starting out or ending their days would probably afford you that window to either pull in backwards or back in the end pump or use the next pump over for 10 minutes or so....

I used the bottle ONCE and will never again... too heavy, too messy, too inconvenient, and WAY too costly
Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
To the best of my knowledge, Tiffin DEF are all on the PS. I have seen some puul through and thsn stop and use the fill from the next island over to fill the DEF.
By the way it is unlawful to sell DEF in any container unless it is in the correct "Blue" container. I found this out when I was stopped from filling into the clear 2 1/2 gal store bought. By the way I am seeing the price drop on DEF. some automotive parts stores now have it at $8.95.
Oh cool, now we'll have the DEF police working right along side the mattress tag cops. Has anyone actually gotten any bitching from anyone when they filled anything other than the "regulation" container? I just bought three 5 gal fresh water containers to use when we get the new Bus, and we're miles from a DEF source. Sounds like I'll be using them in the truck stops too. The Allegro Buses all have the DEF fill on the passenger side.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Where the DEF tank is located is part of the chassis package. The location would be set by FL or Spartan unless the buyer specified otherwise (and paid extra!). I haven't seen any where the tank is on the drivers side.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #6

XCT, I think that you are on the right track with the 2 1/2 gallon can. I use one with a section of heater hose added to make the pour easier. The can fits perfectly in the chassis battery compartment on my 36QSH.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #7

They were designed with fuel and DEF on opposite sides, as some folks were filling with the wrong stuff in the wrong place.
Truck stops are designed for trucks, so no problem for them.
I see some DPs filling fuel from satelite pump, DEF from other side, but they must pull in against the flow of trucks.
I dont have DEF, but would opt for a blue can if I did.
Just sayin.....

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #8

You can buy race fuel jugs which are blue, very well made, square, and pours very nice fairly reasonable at Jegs.com. Hope this helps
Old 12-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well I bought a red gasoline can at WM as my only option at the moment. I have used marker to clearly say DEF on all sides. Since I do not plan to sell the contents or even move the can away from my very own coach, bring on the DEF police.

As for going against the flow in a truckstop, I would rather carry a 2.5 container of DEF around and use a funnel thank you. Maybe, one of these days FJ will get the idea and make DEF available at the RV Island ON THE PS.

Pigman1: 5 gal containers are over kill. They will weight over 40 pounds full and will be a handful to hold in pouring position. I will admit to be up in years, but am in good shape and foind the 2.5 gal plenty to work with, also a gallon of DEF goes a really long way. I just added 8 gallons of DEF after 3,000 miles.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xctraveler View Post
Pigman1: 5 gal containers are over kill. They will weight over 40 pounds full and will be a handful to hold in pouring position. I will admit to be up in years, but am in good shape and foind the 2.5 gal plenty to work with, also a gallon of DEF goes a really long way. I just added 8 gallons of DEF after 3,000 miles.
<br />
<br />I hear you, but I don't think there's too many bulk DEF stations on the route we take to and from Alaska. Some in the US and lower Canada, but that's it, and the DEF directory doesn't show anything in Alaska for retail. Of course there will be stuff in the auto supply stores, but at what price up there in Canada or AK?
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #11

Man I would not be the one to pull in to a truck stop backward and face all the abuse I would get from a wore out trucker. There is no way!!!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
This must be an issue with local management that are not aware of the rules, or lack of same.

DEF is not a hazardous material and has no restrictions on containers for dispensing.

What stores have it for $8.95?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:02 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The easiest way I found to handle filling the DEF tank is to buy the 2 gallon containers at Wal-Mart and just top off the 13 gallon DEF tank as needed. Usually do it at a campground or at home. I try to always have four (4) of them onboard and just replace them as needed. I did try and fill up the DEF tank at a Pilot station once but it was way too hectic and tied up two (2) truck lanes as I had to pull in one lane and use the DEF pump on the adjacent lane due to the short DEF hoses on them.

I wish Pilot would just install a "DEF only" pump off to the side so you could just pull by and fill up. Would require two (2) stops if you were also getting diesel but I think I would prefer that over the containers.

I also want to ask ... "What stores have it for $8.95?"

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello All,

I just took delivery of my new Coach and the DEF tank and filler spout is on the Drivers Side.

Les

goldviper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank