Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #1

Dependability vs Warranty Cost

Just wanting to see what you folks think about buying an extended warranty ofr around $2500 a yr verses your experience with your Tiffens..

I am about to buy a 2001 Tiffen 35 DP with the 300hp Cummins.. buying it from the original owner, her baby of 52K miles.. The whole family swears they have nothing ever major wrong, only little stuff which can be easily fixed.

The rig checks out right.. everything works fine, ride is smooth, price is really good.. with that.. how reliable is this company and model from the members perspective? All things being equal, maintenance done, TLC, can I expect it to last for some time before I need to worry about major repairs or rebuilds?

Thanks again from a rookie RV'er and possible diesel owner..
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2010, 06:43 PM   #2

You must read the warranty very carefully to see what it actually pays. For $2,500/yr I would take a chance.
You might want to try the Tiffin Group.
http://tiffinrvnetwork.com/
Essex-Spensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:34 AM   #3

You are after all looking at a rig that is 10 yrs old. Tiffin is a family owned business that has been building Rvs since the early 70's. While in Colorado Springs Co. this past spring I met a couple who was traveling in an 1986 Allegro. They are the original owners and have traveled across our great county a number of times. They still love there rig.
As for your extended warranty...there are pros and cons on the subject. 2500 dollars can buy a lot of repairs. Loosing a drivetrain component like an engine or transmission can be very costly! One thing I would suggest is to get some type of road service insurance like through Coachnet or Goodsams...towing these rigs is expensive and insurance is well worth the cost in my opinion
wagon217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I would agree. Get a coach net package to cover towing, changing a flat etc. Skip the extanded warranty. They normaly have too many loop holes and you are better off just putting your money in a credit union and pull it out as you need it. At the end of a couple of years treat yourself with the money left over. Besides you have a Tiffin.. great company to do business with. I've had my 2008 Fred for 2 years and I love it!

Dan
Old 09-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #5

I would recommend you sign up with Coachnet and put the $2500 in a bank account for emergencies.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:50 AM   #6

its really a matter of opinion. think about it, a 10 year old rig w/10 year old appliances furnaces a/c's. i just purchased a warranty w/tire and rim protection not to mention all the running gear eng/trans tag axle appliances premium electronics pkg slides jacks genset and much more. one breakdown can cost a nice chunk of change. having had six motorhomes i have been there. luckily i had a warranty but i did see the charges and felt pretty good handing the service center 100.00 as my contract stated. put some thought into it if you plan on rving its worth the investment
espy1949 is offline   Reply With Quote