Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2019, 11:51 AM   #1

Diesel Startups

Hey can you experts tell me how often you should start up for engine and how long it should run. We are not full timers yet so it will be stored in our RV garage 60% of the time between trip and over winter. I'm sure this is something in the owners manual but we have not completed the order on the new coach yet so no manual just researching all the new items we need to do with the move up from gas.
1jamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2019, 12:35 PM   #2

start it up when you want to go someplace with it. Other wise just let it rest.. does no good to start and run for some time without a load on it..
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:46 PM   #3

On a farm, some equipment will sit for 10 months before being started and used. Sometimes antique tractors can sit for 10 years or more and still start right up with fresh gas.
Machines are not like horses, they don't need to be fed or exercised when not needed.
Starting a cold engine just adds engine wear and is not necessary if the machine is not needed to do something.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:48 PM   #4

On all my diesel boats and motor homes I start about once a week for just long enough to get the oil circulated. The oil pressure will come up and the engine will change sounds. Then turn it off. As said above you should not run it without a load for more than a very short time.

Besides getting oil on all the parts, different exhaust valves will be exposed to outside air when you are finished.

RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 01:08 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cummins says not to start it if you aren't going to drive it 30 miles or so.
I did that and ended up having a $30,000 engine rebuild due to acid erosion in #6. This seemingly is a problem only with the ISX 650 though.
Picture is looking into #6 cyl after being stored 6 months and then driven just over 100 miles to the shop. The acid etching could be felt so it wasn't just a surface stain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190321_083727.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	264836   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190321_083655.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	264837  

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:14 PM   #6

Construction and farm equipment is used hard for one to 3 months every year.
Some mining and quary equpment is run 24/7 year round.
Semi tractors are taken out of service for years and sit in some situations

Now when the farm equipment, construction and semi tractors are out of service.
No one EVER GOES AND STARTS THE DIESELS UP. Most always the batteries are pulled .
Until put back in service.
Farm equipment can be 6 to 8-9 months.
Road construction equipment may be 10 years.

SELDOM DO THEY HAVE THESE ISSUES.
The majority of 50 year old diesel farm tractors have never had the heads off.

But look at the open loose fitting hoods on farm tractors, combines, loaders etc.
Lots of flowing air.
Humungus Radiators and fans.
These tractors sitting here are always working under load or HIGH IDLING.
Many stationary diesel generators run 24/7 for years.
Are open air.

Now look in your engine compartment.
#6 cylinder ???
My exhaust manifold bolts were welded into the block. #6 cylinder only.

Cummins said heat
#6 running hotter ?
Maybe.

More diesels are never started when not in service and have none of these issues that the diesel pushers owners have.
Regardless
Diesel power in boats, in an open room.
If they are started or not.

Air flow
Cooling capabilities
RVs power plants
Never worked hard as intended.

Sometimes we think we have to do something to make it better

I myself have a hard time NOT STARTING THE SWEET DIESEL UP AND LISTENING TO HER PURRRR.

Then I think of all those diesels sitting in freight yards, construction equipment rental lots, some for many years.
The tractors and combines tucked away for 6 to 9 months.

And I sigh and relax, sip another fresh lemon water. Smile.
Thinking
Well, Ill just extend the life of the starter Lowell
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191017_122422.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	264856Click image for larger version

Name:	20191017_122546.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	264857Click image for larger version

Name:	20191017_125511.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	264858
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:30 AM   #7

It seems that the only people who feel a need to start a diesel or any engine periodically are the owners of recreational vehicles or toys. The owners of actual working diesels start them when they are needed. I had irrigation diesels sit out in all kinds of weather from late Sept to early May. When they were needed, they came up to 80-90% load and ran 24/7 till the rains came. Same with our combine, tractors and trucks. I never understood why some feel the need to cuddle an inanimate piece of steel as if it had a pulse. Regular service and clean fuel is all that diesel needs to be a happy camper.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
Diesel engine

This slightly off topic.

Cummins shop told me to run my onan diesel generator once a month for about an hour under load.

All the above information seems to contradict this advise.

Guess I will not fire up the Cummins power plant occasionally while sitting but I now wonder about exercising the gen set monthly.

Same advise to both?

Thanks Jeff
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:43 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkorn View Post
This slightly off topic.

Cummins shop told me to run my onan diesel generator once a month for about an hour under load.

All the above information seems to contradict this advise.

Guess I will not fire up the Cummins power plant occasionally while sitting but I now wonder about exercising the gen set monthly.

Same advise to both?

Thanks Jeff
Onan does recommend the genset be run under a load for one hour monthly. But its not for the benefit of diesel engine. Its to dry moisture out of the genset armature. Prevents corrosion between stator and rotor.

Worst thing you can do to the current EPA rated diesel engine.......is let it idle.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:55 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My tractor sits from November to May, my Gen set runs once a month and my motor home runs when I go somewhere or for maintenance. The standby emergency generator for the fire station was run and tested once a month.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #11

I know Onan recommends running the generator once a month for moisture control. FWIW, There was a 15-20kw generator on the irrigation engines that sat out in the elements from Sept to May. Never had a corrosion issue with the generator.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Onan does recommend the genset be run under a load for one hour monthly. But its not for the benefit of diesel engine. Its to dry moisture out of the genset armature. Prevents corrosion between stator and rotor.

Worst thing you can do to the current EPA rated diesel engine.......is let it idle.
Onan generators have had a moisture problem as far back as I can remember. You would think they could have addressed this issues after all of these years.
Revconguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:51 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
During a one hour rally seminar last week the Cummins factory rep for motorhomes recommended starting and driving the main engine once a month. He also recommended that it should be stored with with a fresh oil change. Also said store it with a full fuel tank with non biodiesel. He further said that if you can't drive it, bring it up to operating temp using the fast idle feature built into the cruise control.

I will probably never be able to achieve all of the items (try buying non biodiesel at a truck stop). I just had annual maintenance in August so I am not changing the oil this month. Full fuel - yes, monthly road exercise - maybe. We have a rally in early Feb so mine may sit out the Dec and Jan months.

On the generator, he reaffirmed the minimum monthly load run. Ours runs every trip for the roof AC as we like the coach to be cool when we stop.

Your coach - your decision. What part of the country you store in will most likely be a big factor.

Safe travels!
Larry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:12 PM   #14

You can go to Tiffin's website and pull up an owners manual for any Tiffin.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote