Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2018, 07:11 AM   #1

Dingy brake system

I need to install a braking system from my ford 150 dingy to my allegro bus. Any suggestions on the best. I will have to remove it to drive
Phgrundmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2018, 07:45 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The easiest systems to install are the portable brake systems. Examples are Brake Buddy, RVi Brake, Patriot, and others. I personally use an RVi Brake and it is light, easy to install, and works like a champ.

The next step up are those units which attach to your coach air brakes. The installation is permanent but to activate in your your truck is as easy as flipping a switch. Air Force One is one of the more popular of these units.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:02 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like my RVi3 system. Easy to set up and seems to work flawlessly. They also have an optional TPMS system that works with the included tablet as well. You will find there are a number of portable systems out there. All are probably good but have differing features and profiles. I like the size of the RVi3 and its ease of use.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:13 AM   #4

I installed my Air Force 1 system in a campground in Alaska after my Blue Ox portable system failed for the third time. We've had an AF1 on two subsequent Allegro Buses and 2 pickups. Probably close to 175,000 tow miles, and I'd never consider another system. You never know it's there and it doesn't interfere with any vehicle systems. Once installed there's nothing to hook up but the air line and my plug for the dash light tattle tail to tell me it's working. I don't rely on wireless or toad dashboard lights.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phgrundmann View Post
I need to install a braking system from my ford 150 dingy to my allegro bus. Any suggestions on the best. I will have to remove it to drive
Another option is the M&G brake system. It works using a cylinder between the brake booster and the master cylinder. There's no connection to the brake pedal and when disconnected it's totally transparent. It's a simple hookup when you are ready to tow, just connect the breakaway cable and an air line and you're ready to go. The Air Force One is also a great system, but it does attach to the brake pedal which will activate the toad's brake lights and possibly interfere with turn signals.

Below shows the installation on my Jeep Wrangler. The pressure switch is optional and connects to a LED near the dash in the motor home to show any time air pressure is applied to the brake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished-MG-Installation.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	197792  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:38 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I like the M&G! Once the system is set up on the toad and the coach, all you have to do when getting ready to tow is connect one more cable (air line) between the coach and toad, in addition to the electric cable, safety cable and breakaway cord.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 04-04-2018, 06:17 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
+3 on M&G
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:24 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I have used and installed both the AF1 and the M&G. Both perform great and once installed are out of the way and easy to hook up and go. I started with the AF1 on a Suburban mainly because the AF1 also included the break away system for the coach (like Spartan is now offering called Safe). Then when I purchased a Jeep I added the M&G to it. The M&G connects to same location and system on the coach as the AF1 did.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Very Simple System Roadmaster BrakeMaster System w BrakeAway for RVs w Air or Air Over Hydraulic Brakes - Proportional
Item # RM-9160

Tags
brake