Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2017, 03:42 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Directv Satellite Signal Problem

HELP!!! 2014 Allegro Open Road 36LA. I activated my H24 directv box for $7 a month. I must be getting some kind of signal bc Directv was able to activate my box. I can see the directv logo and startup system on my tv so I don't think it is a splitter problem. After the directv startup all I get is a "771 no signal". I have bypassed the a/b switch and connected the satellite coax cable to the directv box. I have switched the HDMI cables between the DVR and the directv box and changed the corresponding input at the TV. I can hear the sat dish moving and locking on to the satellite but still receive no signal. Is there a certain procedure for starting the system? Do I need to do a directv box reset? Do I need to program the TV satellite input like I do for the OTA input? I bought the coach used and have been using it for 2 years with free OTA TV. It is possible the previous owner changed to sat dish to Dish network instead of directv network. Looking for all ideas without going on the roof to check dip switches, connections, etc. Any suggestions??
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2017, 03:50 PM   #2

We get that error code just about every time we travel.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:53 PM   #3

Sorry, I did'nt finish before I mistakingly hit reply. Anyway, on our last trip wr ended calling Winegard about another problem, and they told us to never call Direct tv, because their settings were different. We haven't gotten the RV out yet this year, to test out the theory.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #4

Since you purchased the coach used and don't know how the antenna is set that is the first place to check. As you stated since you can see a logo on your screen everything inside would seem to be working. Now it's time to check the outside.

Also you do have your receiver configured as per the attached:

http://www.winegard.com/help/images/...ts_directv.pdf
Old 05-23-2017, 04:19 PM   #5

Just for giggles reset the receiver. Is there an indicator light that indicates a satellite lock? I've had the same issue "771" after the satellite locks. When all else fails I reset the receiver. Additionally, if I haven't used the system for a few months I have to call DTV and have them flash my receiver. Good luck..
Old 05-23-2017, 07:22 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
We often have to have Direct TV send a " bump" to our receiver if we haven't used it in a while.They will ask you for the box serial number and card number as well. You can do it online as well if you have a decent signal. Like the previous post a box reset also.
RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:27 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
What to do about temporary loss of the satellite signal, "frozen" picture, or picture breaking into blocks / pixels?
The image on your screen is frozen, blocky, or you see a message that says "Searching for Satellite Signal (x771).
Possible Causes:
Severe weather (rain, snow, hail etc.) may cause this issue.
There may be an obstruction to your dish (debris, snow, ice, etc.) or a building or tree that blocks your line of sight to the satellite.
There may be a problem with the cables running from your satellite dish to your DIRECTV
® Receiver.
If the picture is frozen, blocky, or pixels, there may be a problem with the transmission from the source.
Solution:
Weather issues are usually temporary. Wait for the weather to clear and your signal should return to normal.
If there are no weather problems in your area, reset your DIRECTV
® Receiver using the red RESET button behind the door on the front of the receiver or by unplugging the receiver for 15 seconds and then plugging it back in.
You can also check all the cable connections between your DIRECTV®
Receiver and the satellite dish for loose or broken connections.
If the problem is coming from the program source (for example, you see the problem on one channel, but not on any others), wait for the broadcasting channel to resolve the issue.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:46 PM   #8

direct tv 771 error

Have you run a signal and transponder check? Go to menu and check on parental control and then system set up. I have DTV and get that error often. Signal strength should be at least 75 and transponders should be in the 80s. These numbers are not written in stone but thats what works for me. I am not in front of tv so my procedures might not be spot on, but this should help you get started. I also have a power box that plugs into TT wall and then the receiver, you might not have this so if not disregard. If you do have a power box please press the reset button. I am not a DTV guru just trying to help.
cmcguire48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:05 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for all the feedback. All you guys are very helpful. I will reset the box first and then I'll check connections and dip switches. I tried to call Winegard was on hold for 20 minutes. Left a message two days ago and have still Not heard from them. I found paperwork that the previous owner had a in motion upgrade installed in the roof dish. That's cool but I probably won't use it. If all else fails I may just buy a portable dish for when my roof dish is blocked by trees, etc.

Pls keep the info coming as I need all the help I can get.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:48 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
As you go though your setting menu on the tv for the sat set up make sure for a H24 you have selected 18x24 Triple-set LNB. and multi-switch. then check sat signal on the 101.

If that is correct reset box with small red button behind the front access door. Go on line or call direct tv to reflash receiver.

I could only get though to wineguard by email, never have got though by phone.

Direct tv has been more helpful. but if you get a dufus hang up and call back not all of them are savy.
wtravlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:55 AM   #11

I had some dip swithces in my in motion satelite dish that had to be reset

It may be worth a look
edstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Had the problems as well. Setting the dish type solved mine (step 5 on the attached link in post #4 above). Occasionally I have to reset the box and start over. Pop open a cold one first. It can be a long process to wait for the downloads.

I also made the mistake of restarting every time when I saw those X's instead of the checks. Follow those instructions and you should be good.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:49 PM   #13

I was getting same message, finally went on roof and checked satellite and found one switch down when it should of Been up. Solved my problem.
fmartinez12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:42 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Go to dish setup and choose setting 1 for type of dish and setting 1 the next menu. If that fails go on your account and refresh your signal to that receiver. You can call Direct TV to do that as well. You might as well learn to refresh it yourself because you will need to do that if the receiver is not used for 20-30 days. Hope this helps.

Steve
Sjg1277 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv, satellite