RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Dish HDMI wiring problems

Talking with Dish is a lot like talking to a robot.....

We're having major problems with our Tiffin HDMI wiring that goes from the back bedroom TV to the front living room TV. In our attempt to use different HDMI cables from a failed splitter, we broke off two HDMI cables. Now, we cant get sound on the front TV broadcast from the Dish Wally....

We have major wiring problems and don't know where to turn for help.

We're in Colorado right now, and will be in Arizona soon if there is somewhere we can get this fixed. We've been without sound on the TV in the living room now for about 3 weeks.....we have to turn both TV's on, crank the volume on the TV in the bedroom, listen through a loud echo while watching TV in the living room.

I can't find anyone who is willing to come fix a Dish problem in a RV We're willing to throw money at this to get it fixed!

Anyone know a competent satellite service center somewhere in Arizona or New Mexico who would be willing to fix our problem?

Fulltimers.....Have RV Will Travel

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 06:00 AM   #2

You have a “wiring problem” not a “Dish problem”. On the other hand, an independent Dish retailer / installer might be able to help, or Best Buy Geek Squad, but that’s probably a long shot, at least until you can tell them exactly what you want them to do (after you go through the considerations below).

It sounds to me like you’ve broken 1 or 2 HDMI cables, not sure from your note. Pretty much impossible to fix a broken HDMI cable (whicn is why sometime in the ‘14/‘15. model year Tiffin started using HDMI-Cat6 converters, as it’s fairly easy to fix the connector).

Since I’m not sure exactly how your coach is wired, here are some things to consider.

First, call Tiffin and explain where your HDMI cables are broken, and see if they have any suggestions on what your options are. Ask for Nick Brewer, he’s their tech guy.

I think it’s going to come down to a couple things you can do, but the first thing I’d ask Nick is if you can use wireless HDMI converters (available at Best Buy) and simply plug them to replace the cables. Again, since I don’t know how your coach is wired, not sure if this will work but it’s by far and away the easiest solution if Nick says it will work.

The other option is to figure out how to run new HDMI cables (if you can find them long enough, and they are expensive) which will be a total pain.

Or, re wire and use cat 6 cables and move to HDMI - Cat6 converters. Easier to run the cat6 but you would have to terminate it, and the HDMI - Cat6 converters aren’t cheap.

Good luck, but again I’d start with Nick at Tiffin.....

Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:09 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
On a lot of the coaches with straight HDMI cable runs, they installed a short jumper at the ends of the runs just for this reason. You may be able to trace the wire back into the wall or AV cabinet and see if there is a short piece on the end of the longer cable run. As previously posted, HDMI end connectors are almost impossible to repair.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:55 PM   #4

Assuming the broken HDMI ends are the ones coming out of the splitters, these cables are somewhat easy to replace. They run from the splitters back into the wall and down under the drawers below the TV in the bedroom. If you remove the drawers you will see where the cables come down and there should be a junction point for each cable that is wrapped in tape. Your problem will be running new cables out of the splitters down to the junction point.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #5

X2 on trying wireless HDMI
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:15 AM   #6

Yah, I'm not happy with the HDMI cables they use. They are very heavy duty and shielded, but the fancy looking rubber end connectors are junk. Having rubber ends vs plastic means the metal connectors rip right out of the flexible rubber ends. I've already lost two HDMI cables due to the ends ripping out from driving and opening/closing the electronics bay. For my outside TV I was able to run a replacement cable. For the inside TV up front there was no way I was going to run that cable. I ended up going to Best Buy and purchased an IOGEAR wireless HDMI kit with a transmitter and two receivers. You can add as many wireless receivers as you want. It also supports ten channels so you can mix/match multiple transmitter and receiver pairs. Added bonus is they also include built in remote control IR transmitter/receivers, which my Wayfarer was lacking anyways.

Good luck!

Best,
-Mark

Tags
dish, ems, problems, wiring, wiring problems