Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2018, 05:14 PM   #15

Does the larger 2000w inverter charge your batteries faster when on generator or shore power? I understand the additional output, but wondered if they also help reduce charging time.
whciv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2018, 05:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by whciv View Post
Does the larger 2000w inverter charge your batteries faster when on generator or shore power? I understand the additional output, but wondered if they also help reduce charging time.
Not sure if it comes with a inverter/charger combo unit or 2 seperate components.

If it comes with a seperate converter, it should be sized for the installed battery bank.

In that case the inverter can be either size.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilyse View Post
Thank you for your reply. I thought so too (that if the unit has the 7000w generator that it would also automatically include the 2000w inverter). To my surprise that's not the case. I found a unit yesterday with the 7000w generator with only the 1000w inverter. Apparently they are separate line items on the Tiffin price list and not all dealers order the 2000w despite the bigger generator. Hence my confusion....
Your welcome, Steve I would get the 2000 W I and the 7000 W Generator. This past October we Boon docked in the UP Michigan with our 32 SA for 5 days. I monitored the coach batteries and had the AGS set for if I recall 11.2 volts and the voltage never dropped to this level. I would run the Generator for 2 hours at night and in the morning while making coffee and breakfast . Also the fireplace did a wonderful job taking the chill off in the am. You will love the 32 SA.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:25 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
I didn't see any mention of a PSW. Are you saying all 2000w inverters are PSW?
Of course not. It's just that Tiffin installs a Magnum pure sine wave inverter as the option.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
My 2018 Tiffin 36LA has the 1200 watt Magnum converter/inverter and the 7k generator. There are four 6 volt batteries and a residential refrigerator. When the batteries are fully charged we can get a couple of days run of the ref when dry camping. There area a few problems. The inverter/charger puts out 70 amps. It seems to require some hours of generator to recharge the batteries. Surprisingly only two outlets in the coach are connected to the inverter. The one in the bedroom at the make-up table and the one under the dash on the passenger side. Plus the tvs. This makes other uses of the inverter difficult. I am looking at the Power Max PM3-100-12 100 amp charger to hasten the recharge time. I am not sure how two chargers will work in tandem. 100 amps is about the highest you can go because it draws 17 amps at 120 volts. About the limit of a 20 amp 120 volt circuit. Note that the alternator on the Ford is rated at 175 amps. However if the jacks are down the dash screeches a terrible warning.

Rick Fisher
Old 02-15-2018, 08:01 PM   #20

2000w !!! It's a must!!! Yes I am addicted to my keurig!!! Coffee!!
RasMouSein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:03 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Get the 2000. A hair dryer is 1500 watts, momma needs to be happy.

We have a 2K, and if it's REALLY cold while driving I put a 1500 watt space heater on the floor up front. Engine alternator charges the batteries, batteries power the inverter, inverter makes 120vac for the heater.

If you get a 2K, it will power anything less. If you get a 1K, you can never power anything more.....and it gets real expensive to upgrade later.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:15 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I am looking at the Power Max PM3-100-12 100 amp charger to hasten the recharge time. I am not sure how two chargers will work in tandem. 100 amps is about the highest you can go because it draws 17 amps at 120 volts. About the limit of a 20 amp 120 volt circuit.
I've not tried it, but I don't believe there is value in hooking up 2 chargers to a battery bank.

A multistage charger determines how much current to put into the bank, based upon the voltage that it sees as the load. If the first charger is putting a higher voltage on the bank and the 2nd one sees the higher voltage, it may not even charge.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #23

In bulk mode, chargers are outputting constant current ( amps ) and they will do that until the battery voltage reaches 14.6 volts or more. With a large battery bank at 12.0 volts, that could take some time.

2 chargers will bulk the battery bank up quicker but you have to be careful not to overcharge your bank.

Flooded battery manufactures recommend around 15% of AH capacity, so for a 400 AH bank, that will be 60 amps. AGMs can take much more but the manufactures still only recommend about 25% for long life.

If the batteries aren't too low, you can get away at charging them at a higher rate because they will climb to absorb voltage before they overheat.

Once the chargers go into absorb mode, they shift to constant voltage and the the amp output will start to drop due to increasing battery resistance. At that point you could shut off one charger because its probably going along for the ride anyway.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilyse View Post
Hi all-

About to buy a 32SA. First time we'll have a residential fridge.
We occasionally dry camp for up to 3-4 days at a time.
Most units we see with the residential fridge include the 4 batteries but only a few include the 2000w inverter.

I'm not that experienced with electrical so please excuse the dumb question : What is the benefit of a 2000w inverter vs the standard 1000w? Should I absolutely get a rig with the 2000w if we plan to dry camp? Thanks!!
My vote is for the 2000. And I prefer the pure sign wave. I use it for Microwave, Hair Dryer, to charge computers, run a lazer printer, charge batteries, TV, DVR.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:05 PM   #25

Its really nice not having to run the generator to make coffee, toast or use the Micro early in the morning. I upgraded to the 2800watt PSW and after dry camping for a week at Quartzite last month I am very happy I did that. 1kw and a residential fridge seems like a bad combo for a new coach.
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:32 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all of the replies and information. Greatly appreciated! Moving forward with the 2000w.....
dilyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #27

AGS

i just faced the same decision on the same coach...
the 2000 watt inverter was expensive..

i'm not smart with these things.

but, saleslady tried to explain that the 2000 watt inverter included the ability for the generator to come on when needed... i think that is what she said... and it came to mind when someone above mentioned ags... i think this means
automatic generator start?

so... this was the deciding factor for us...
i'm getting more that the bigger inverter. there's a wonderful switch that measures need for electricity and will trigger the generator...
i hope!

rr
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
i just faced the same decision on the same coach...
the 2000 watt inverter was expensive..

i'm not smart with these things.

but, saleslady tried to explain that the 2000 watt inverter included the ability for the generator to come on when needed... i think that is what she said... and it came to mind when someone above mentioned ags... i think this means
automatic generator start?

so... this was the deciding factor for us...
i'm getting more that the bigger inverter. there's a wonderful switch that measures need for electricity and will trigger the generator...
i hope!

rr

We are debating the same thing. We too are going to get the 2000w inverter. My question is do we need more that the 4 batteries? If you get the residential fridge you get 2 extra batteries for at total of 4. Will Tiffin add 2 more for a total of 6? How expensive is it normally to add more batteries?

Thanks,
whciv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter