RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #1

Do you like your 40 foot Bus?

Hello. Looking at a 2006 42' Bus but the 2005-2006 40'ers are far less expensive. Do you like your 40' Bus? I plan on hauling a restored car to national and regional judging events which I'm estimating at around 7000#. There should not be any issue with exceeding the GCVWR I think but I am concerned about the Rear Gross Axle Weight. Any thoughts on this or the differences between the two for the $30,000 difference?

macraekw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I owned a 40' American Eagle previously, currently a 42' American Eagle. Largest difference is tag axle. Plenty of discussion on this forum about pro's and con's if you do a search. I love the tag and I can safely tow 15,000 lbs on the 42', only 10,000 lbs on the 40'.

Usually the 42' will also have larger motor and more torque, which also adds costs. Another may be does the 42' have a bath and 1/2? Mine does and obviously that adds some cost. I also have a King Bed with plenty of room in the bedroom, much larger than my 40', but I also have Full Wall Slide in the 42' that I didn't have in the 40'.

Good luck, but I think once you compare, you may find you are not comparing apples to apples?

jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #3

I have a 2008 Bus 43ft it's great Had a 39 ft a little small
REB16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by macraekw View Post
Hello. Looking at a 2006 42' Bus but the 2005-2006 40'ers are far less expensive. Do you like your 40' Bus? I plan on hauling a restored car to national and regional judging events which I'm estimating at around 7000#. There should not be any issue with exceeding the GCVWR I think but I am concerned about the Rear Gross Axle Weight. Any thoughts on this or the differences between the two for the $30,000 difference?
We have a 2003 40 ft Bus with two slide and I like the layout better. JMHO when we are at smaller campgrounds having only the two slides on the drivers side gives us more room in the space then those who have 3or more slides. I think it gives us more flexibility in the way of places to park. We have a Queen size bed and a nice size shower. I like that the washer/dryer isn't in the bedroom.

Talking to the techs at Tiffin they like working on the 2003 rigs better than the 2006....I guess that Tiffin had started changing things and the changes weren't necessarily for the better. 2003 had less to go wrong with them. It was interesting to talk to the guys at Tiffin....well worth the trip for us.

Debbie
2003 Allegro Bus 40DP
ladybostons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #5

Oh.....I forgot....we tow a Chevy HHR as our toad....somewhere around 3000ish pounds....and we hardly even notice that it is back there. Hubby says we can tow up to 10,000 pounds.

Debbie
ladybostons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The only caution I'd offer with a 40' rig, be certain to check on the CCC (cargo carrying capacity). Some 40' rigs had ridiculously small weight capacities once the tanks were filled. Other than that the most important thing is, do you like the floor plan? No doubt most any 40' rig will have the power to pull your toys (assuming the hitch weight is within manufacturer allowances).
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #7

I have a Alegro Bus 40QSP. We tow a 2011 Enclave with a fully mounted spare between the two (on the hitch). In your case you should have an equalizer hitch which should suspend the trailers tongue weight throughout the coach. that's why they call that a weight distribution hitch.
Also if you buy a Tiffin Bus they all have the same size engine. My 2006 is a 400HP and the 42's are the same. Be aware that early 06 Cummins (no matter the brand coach) had a recall on wrist pins. Most failed at less than 1000 miles but I have heard of failure in the 40's. Mine failed at 22k. I have NOT heard of anyone with these engines that Cummins has not replaced them at Cummins expense. Good luck. The 06 is a good unit and we love ours.
KaptnKluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2005 38 ft DP with ISL engine. I looked at a 2007 42ft 4 slide. Both have the same engine and transmission. My 38 foot is rated to tow 10,000 pounds I tow a 2012 enclave that ways about 4800 I really do not have any trouble maintaining speed or pulling the enclave. To be honest the few times I run without it back there I barely notice the difference. I honestly do not think it will make a difference which you get. I would look at some of the more important differences. Some of the campgrounds do not have space for a 42 ft and it is a bit harder to get in tight spaces. It will have a lot more room inside there is no doubt about that but you will also pay more for a 42 than you would for a 40.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptnKluck View Post
I have a Alegro Bus 40QSP. We tow a 2011 Enclave with a fully mounted spare between the two (on the hitch). In your case you should have an equalizer hitch which should suspend the trailers tongue weight throughout the coach. that's why they call that a weight distribution hitch.
Also if you buy a Tiffin Bus they all have the same size engine. My 2006 is a 400HP and the 42's are the same. Be aware that early 06 Cummins (no matter the brand coach) had a recall on wrist pins. Most failed at less than 1000 miles but I have heard of failure in the 40's. Mine failed at 22k. I have NOT heard of anyone with these engines that Cummins has not replaced them at Cummins expense. Good luck. The 06 is a good unit and we love ours.
Thanks for that tip. We appreciate your advice very much.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
The only caution I'd offer with a 40' rig, be certain to check on the CCC (cargo carrying capacity). Some 40' rigs had ridiculously small weight capacities once the tanks were filled. Other than that the most important thing is, do you like the floor plan? No doubt most any 40' rig will have the power to pull your toys (assuming the hitch weight is within manufacturer allowances).
Thanks. CCC and rear axle weight are my main concerns with this rig. Here's my thought process: The GVWR is 32,000#. The GCWR is 42,000# so there should be no issue hauling up to 10,000#. The UVW or Unloaded vehicle weight is 24,820# which includes full water and propane tanks. With 150 gallons of diesel weighing about 750# then the UVW with fuel should be #25,720. The difference between the GVWR of 32,000# and the loaded curb weight is 6,280# which should be the max CCC, correct? (less tongue weight of course of maybe 700#, I am guessing) 6,280# less tongue weight seems like a lot of cargo and I can't imagine loading the coach to that degree. If my cargo load is 2,500# then the total combined weight is 28,950 including 700# tongue weight. If 62.5% of the load is on the rear axle then the rear axle load is 18,094 which is under the GAWR of 20,000#

Am I correct or is my logic flawed??
Old 07-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #11

We have an 05 Allegro Bus with four slides and the 400 ISL engine. We tow a 2008 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab that weighs right at 5,000 lbs. When we had our unit weighed it was right at 20,000 lbs in the rear and 11,600 in the front. Drives great and we have plenty of room with the four slides. Our unit also works will with either of the two side slides out, so that makes it pretty versatile in tight parks. We have full-timed in it for 5 years now and have had very little trouble with it. Steve

steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote