Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #1

Double tow with grand cherokee

Looking to double tow a small utility trailer behind my 2017 Grand Cherokee. It is legal in my state. I have been informed that I will need to modify the plug which I currently use to tow my utility trailer because the current set up will not pass the correct voltage from My Phaeton thru the Jeep to the Utility trailer.

Need advice as to proceed with this mod....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2017, 03:17 PM   #2

I ran a extension line thru my CRV and connect Seadoo trailer directly to motor home.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #3

My Grand Cherokee has AirForce one proportional braking..... I don't want to jury rig it, I want a professional and correct install.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:41 PM   #4

I have a Brake buddy so no need to have coach wiring while double towing. Ps by professionals good luck finding a good one
After numerous blunders by so called pros I do it all myself including 5th wheel hitch install and tow bar installation. I know it's done right by following installation instructions. Ford mechanics were afraid to wire 7 pin connector for example along with u-haul top dog unable to wire a simple 4 connector wiring harness.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
I have a Brake buddy so no need to have coach wiring while double towing. Ps by professionals good luck finding a good one
After numerous blunders by so called pros I do it all myself including 5th wheel hitch install and tow bar installation. I know it's done right by following installation instructions. Ford mechanics were afraid to wire 7 pin connector for example along with u-haul top dog unable to wire a simple 4 connector wiring harness.
I have been told that all I need to do is splice into the front plug of my tow harness on the jeep (motorhome to jeep connection), then run a harness to the rear with a separate flat tow connector for the utility trailer.... this will enable the utility trailer to have direct signals from the Motorhome. Does this sound correct?
Old 09-03-2017, 10:39 AM   #6

I don't think your insurance company will cover this setup, if you have a accident and get sued. Dave
Old 09-03-2017, 11:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
I don't think your insurance company will cover this setup, if you have a accident and get sued. Dave
Man.... I hate it when a post is non contributing..... This setup is legal in my home state..... please..... you have no idea where I am towing. Maybe not in YOUR home state...... please do not assume.

I am looking for information on my original post.... not your desire to make a quick judgement post.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:12 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB & TRISHA View Post
I have been told that all I need to do is splice into the front plug of my tow harness on the jeep (motorhome to jeep connection), then run a harness to the rear with a separate flat tow connector for the utility trailer.... this will enable the utility trailer to have direct signals from the Motorhome. Does this sound correct?
absolutely correct. About the scare of insurance piece. Insurance might not like double tow but not for the light wiring if the light work.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB & TRISHA View Post
Man.... I hate it when a post is non contributing..... This setup is legal in my home state..... please..... you have no idea where I am towing. Maybe not in YOUR home state...... please do not assume.

I am looking for information on my original post.... not your desire to make a quick judgement post.

You do know there is a difference between "legal" and "covered", right?

No need to get huffy. The poster was just trying to point out something you may have overlooked in a different area.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:48 PM   #10

Can't believe any state would allow such a dangerous practice, even harder to believe people would do it. And people worry about tires from China...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:48 PM   #11

Sorry to annoy you Bob, good luck with this setup and I hope it all works out fine. Dave

Tags
tow