Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2015, 06:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliedo02 View Post
On my 2015 Open Road 32CA, I determined that even with the 12 switch by the door OFF, there is still a draw on the house batteries and that after about 10 days or so, the voltage across the battery terminals was lower than I was comfortable with. The Tripp-Lite inverter charger draws something even in Charge Only position. And there are a number of other things wired directly to the house batteries... like the USB port on the dashboard stays illuminated even with the 12 volt switch off.

I just gave up the game and installed a cut-off switch on the negative terminal to ground and after a month not plugged in, I am still OK. It does mean removing the step cover when leaving the coach to turn it off. And replacing it after turning it on when I pick the coach up again. But that is a minor issue to me.
Thanks, the 10 days is what I was looking for. Yes, taking the step off is a pita, so even if / when I install the battery disconnect I was hoping not to have to use it all the time. So, just one more question for you, your noted the inverter being in charge only mode, so is the 10 days with the inverter off or in charge only mode?

Have you found any related issues when you do disconnect?

I did go up again yesterday, and and back to fully charged, 13.5 volts and the progressive was reading 0 amps on both legs. I did talk to the storage owner yesterday, and he understand my concerns, and to let him know if the breaker or GFI keeps tripping. I am going to keep it plugged in for the next week,and check on it daily........

I also changed how I plugged into the coach, after thinking about the GFI being tripped - I had the extension cord plugged into the dog bone hanging under the bay, and put it up inside the bay now to ensure is was not a case where water got into the connection and caused the GFI to trip. Yes, I am under cover, but the very back of the coach sticks out a bit, and given we had strong storms, there is the potential that water could have gotto on the connection.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2015, 06:25 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I leave it on Charge Only. Never use the inverter function. And changing the switch position is as much a pain as the step cover. No other implications I care about have been noticed. Radio drops its presets I think. I measured current draws with a multimeter between battery neg terminal and its ground cable. I don't know if progressive shows draws of less than an amp. Maybe.

My readings: No shore power, 12 v master off, all else off including Tripp Lite ... 0.32 amps. When on CHG only...0.52 amps.
Calliedo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:46 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
"So, just one more question for you, your noted the inverter being in charge only mode, so is the 10 days with the inverter off or in charge only mode?"

I just read your question again... I'll be a bit more specific with my answer. The 10 days mentioned was with 12 volt master off, everything else I could think of turned off, and with the inverter left in charge only. Now, of course, with the coach batteries themselves being disconnected, it doesn't matter how the inverter switch is left. With batteries disconnected I have now gone as long as 23 days and their voltage only dropped from full charge to 12.5 volts. I haven't left it for longer at this point.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #18

Chuck, thanks so much! Very helpful with real world insight on a similar coach.

Regards
Old 06-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #19

Betr2Trvl -
Don't mean to alarm you, but keep a close eye on that dog bone that you put in a compartment. Last winter I watched a dog bone that had burst into flames in the open grass and flames were shooting 2-3 feet high. As we watched our neighbor disconnect it and put out the fire, others mentioned that they had heard of or seen that happen before including a MH that burned up. A bad plug connection under load can get very hot. Keep an eye on it to be sure it doesn't get too hot. Prior to that, when I was preparing for a trip and had my MH in the driveway, I stored the dog bone in my electrical compartment after making a 120V connection for my refrigerator and inverter. Stopped that habit after seeing what could happen.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
Betr2Trvl -
Don't mean to alarm you, but keep a close eye on that dog bone that you put in a compartment. Last winter I watched a dog bone that had burst into flames in the open grass and flames were shooting 2-3 feet high. As we watched our neighbor disconnect it and put out the fire, others mentioned that they had heard of or seen that happen before including a MH that burned up. A bad plug connection under load can get very hot. Keep an eye on it to be sure it doesn't get too hot. Prior to that, when I was preparing for a trip and had my MH in the driveway, I stored the dog bone in my electrical compartment after making a 120V connection for my refrigerator and inverter. Stopped that habit after seeing what could happen.
Thanks for he heads up. At this point, I am drawing virtually no load, but I know I can run my main cord out to a place that the connections would not get wet instead of having them in the bay, so I'll take a look at doing that.

Regards
Old 06-06-2015, 04:19 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Thanks for he heads up. At this point, I am drawing virtually no load, but I know I can run my main cord out to a place that the connections would not get wet instead of having them in the bay, so I'll take a look at doing that.

Regards
We keep our adapter in the electric bay also while only connected to charge the batteries. The load center only reads one or two amp draw so I don't believe there will be a problem. We did have one melt down while running the A/C and stuff while connected to 30amp but in a case like that it will outdoors.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:05 PM   #22

What other loads would there be on the house battery if the 12v switch at the doorway is turned off?

2014 Tiffin 35QBH
JeffHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:39 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Battery Drains

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHope View Post
What other loads would there be on the house battery if the 12v switch at the doorway is turned off?
On my 2015 32CA Allegro Open Road there may be others I haven't found, however I have confirmed at least the following still have 12 volts available to them... with that switch off. : Tiffin installed things on the dash like the lighted USB port, the 12 volt outlet, the windshield fans, the "map lights", the radio, the steps, the window shades, and the inverter/charger. Just where the slight remaining draw on the house batteries comes from, I didn't chase down, but over a few weeks, it is noticeable on the batteries.

Tags
batteries, house batteries