Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #1

Driver side wind noise in 2011 Phaeton

Love our new 40ft QBH and took it on it's maiden voyage of 200 miles. Very comfortable but seemed to have an annoying wind noise on only the driver's side of the cockpit. With this year's model, I know that they moved the driver's side mirror from it's 2010 location where it extended in front of the coach to directly beside the driver's window. Is this the cause of the wind noise? Have other 2011 Phaeton owners noted a similar noise? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Bob Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #2

I have the same unit and it is noisy on the drivers side with a lot of wind noise and a little whistle. I also think it is the mirror. Not good. Also I had a hard pull to the right at any speed and it has been with freightliner for 5 days and they feel the frame is bad, or warped. All this with 500 miles on it, so we will see what Tiffin will do??
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #3

Thanks, Lault,
Interesting that you have noticed a pull to the right...I have the same problem although it's not a hard pull. Have an appointment tomorrow with the dealership (North Trail RV, Ft. Myers) and on the list I was going to have them check the alignment..
I am going to try changing the angle (I think it can be changed) of the chrome frame of mirror but have doubts that will help. I'll repost if I come up with anything.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. I tried to change the angle of the mirror with little success. Still is noisy. I did the alignment at freightliner with no fix. I will now head to Tiffin on there request to try again. Will get an appointment tomorrow, I hope. And the saga goes on.
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:57 AM   #5

Noise Issue

We have same wind noise problem on our 2011 Phateon, have had it in to 2 dealers (North Trail and Alpin Haus), no solution. Mine sound as if it is coming from up high on drivers side. I wish this was my biggest issue. Please let us know if they can correct your problem. Thanks
joeanddeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Any info on this would be greatly appreaciated, just ordered new a short time ago , about 4 weeks out yet, if this is a problem maybe I can old style mirrors installed when we go down there for build.

thanks
Bob
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #7

Wind noise

I presently have my 2011 Phaeton at North Trail RV in Fort Myers for a few repairs one of which is to check the wind noise. I plan to drive another one off the lot and see if it also has the problem.
Lault..hope things work out for you..Please post if you come up with an answer.

eracegn45...Tiffin is very reluctant to change anything on the line...not to dash your hopes but they changed the position of the mirror on the drivers side because with the new windshield the mirror extending out front couldn't give a good view of the blind spot.

Joeanddeb thanks for joining the discussion...sorry to hear you're apparently having other issues. As you are probably aware trouble with a new coach is common and apparently manufacturers build potential problem costs into the sale price. I would agree that it's frustrating at times. To this point I've been pleased with the service at North Trail..how's your experience been?
Old 04-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #8

Not sure this will help, or work for you guys. Recently camped next to a Country Coach who had his drivers side mirror pulled around to the side and used the side window to view it.
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Began, Just a thought! Can you remove the mirror in question and drive the coach a short distance safely to see if the offending noise goes away?

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #10

Check out the weep holes at the bottom of the driver side window. Mine has two. Taped over the front one. Took care of the noise on mine. Newmar Dutch Star.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Began, Just a thought! Can you remove the mirror in question and drive the coach a short distance safely to see if the offending noise goes away?

Sammie
No, all kinds of control wires in there. You don't want to have to replace one of those mirrors.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
No, all kinds of control wires in there. You don't want to have to replace one of those mirrors.
How about taping a thick piece of cardboard around the mirror and attachments to act as a air dam and block the air flow for testing?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:49 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Began, your probably right about changing, but if its a known problem, i would hope that there is some sort of cure, wouldn't want my new home to sing to me, and all they can do is say no no no no, quit asking..............Lault ,also don't like to hear about frames being warped, do they start over on a new one???
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:11 AM   #14

North Trail Service

We live in NY, purchased RV at North Trail Ft. Myers. Very good experience with sales and delivery, and have had one opportunity for some warranty work there. Very good, done when promised, no recurring issue except wind noise.

I won't be able to check mirrors until I get my RV back from Freightliner. Check engine light came on on ride home, took it in for service. Freightliner called, said needed parts 2 to 3 weeks for delivery unless I pay $60 for overnight part delivery. Told them no, sounds like BS to me.
joeanddeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver side mirror, wind noise