Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2015, 01:35 PM   #1

Driving north (Battle Creek, MI) during first week of November.

Wife & I want to visit family during the first week of November. What will I have to do to prepare the MH (31SA) for the trip? Will it be to cold that time of year for such a trip? Will I have to drain all the water from the tanks? Thanks in advance for your response.
Travis
tstriblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
At that time of the year and that area of M.I. you could encounter all types of different weather conditions. Snow/sleet/Ice, and it will be cold. We live closer to the Ann Arbor area and we are usually winterized and in storage by mid October. Not as adventurous as I once was!

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:26 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let's see.. My 2nd trip to LV was on Thanksgiving (I drove THROUGH Battle Creek from Detroit) that was in 2006,,, And I left Taylor the day before Thanksgiving in 2013.. now I had a few frosty days but this I can tell you.

IF you have enclosed tanks.. And you fill your fresh tank, then disconnect and DRAIN your fresh water hose.. (Do not hook up waste hose till you are ready to dump) you should not have a problem in November in Battle Creek.

Where are you going to stay.. I'm not (Strangely enough) sure if there are any campgrounds in the Battle Creek/Fort Custer area. But I know of one in Tekonsha.. Not sure if membership or not though. And another in Burlington/Union City area.. But .. you likely do not want to stay there (Clothing optional) And several farther out. Both membership and public. (Before I was John from Detroit, I lived and worked in Battle Creek and before that Tekonsha).
Old 09-22-2015, 07:30 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Actually, for the first week in Nov I doubt you will have freeze issues in that area. Overnight lows can approach freezing but usually not enough to cause you issues, especially if the coach is heated. According to the weather channel website the overnight lows that week usually are around 33-36 with highs in the 50s during the day. Later in the month, yeah, freezing overnight.

However, you didn't mention a campground, not sure if you are staying at the relatives, but most campgrounds in that area shut down around Oct 15, and those that are open have winterized and are dry. I keep my RV in that area and have winterized by then.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:57 AM   #5

Thank you guys. We will be parked in the family's drive way, so no campground will be needed. Will only be a two/three day visit. My main concern is the water system during e drive up and back. we have never been north of Columbia, SC (in the MH) during the winter.
tstriblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:15 AM   #6

I am assuming that you have a heated water bay when you run the furnace.

I had my coach in Manitoba in October last year. The temperature was in the 20's at night. We had no issues with freezing water. Of course you cannot have the water hose out. It usually does not get that cold in that part of Michigan until January.

We have been tempted, many times, to take the coach out of storage in November because the weather was perfect.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:46 AM   #7

Might be better to consider Holiday Inn. Good Luck and have a safe trip either way you go. Dave
Old 09-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Given the "Driveway Parking" (Basically Dry Camping) You should have no porblems at all.. Add a day. Say Hi to Tony the Tiger. (Kelloggs tour) if they still do that.

Go visit the park that is across the road (North Av) From Lila y Post Montgomery hospital (Do not visit hospital as a patient).. Just the park.. The roses were planted by my Great Uncle.