RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2017, 01:34 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swheels View Post
We are looking at the Tiffins and we were going with the 37 Red but now find out they just come with the 1/4 inch single pane windows. Our last coach was a Winnebago with dual pane windows and they were great. Do the single pane windows work as well in the Tiffins or should we change to the Phaeton line?
Are you saying that the glass is 1/4" thick?
If that is the case, I would go with those!

I had dual panes in my last HR coach, and single panes in my present coach, the single panes, give a better view, dual panes more efficient, but I had two or three that were fogging up, and getting hard to see out of, and needed fixed!
All in all, on a new coach, I guess it would come down on how you are going to use the coach, are you going to follow the nice weather, go with the single pane, if you are one to do extreme weather camping, Az. in the summer, or Co. in the winter for skiing, go with the dual pane!
I do not think it would be a deciding factor in buying a MH for me!
Get the one that the wife likes the best, and has the power you want! Rail!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
It doesn't matter what brand of MH you have. Single pane windows will not provide the insulation of dual pane, and this is for cold and heat.
I agree with others who have commented about the windows being just part of the problem of staying warm in an RV on a very cold and windy day. With all the holes in the walls and ceiling for slide outs, water heater and furnace vents, fridge vents, fan vents, skylights, etc. no matter what your windows are, you will probably be able to measure a wind chill factor inside your motorhome when the snow is blowing and the wind is howling outside.

But back to windows ... if the single pane windows are 1/4 inch glass as Tiffin uses on some motorhomes and the double pane windows are two 1/8 inch glass with a 1/4 inch air gap, then in theory you would gain an R factor of about .25 since enclosed air has an R factor of about 1 per inch of thickness. But that is for the glass area only. Unfortunately much heat gain/loss is caused by the window frames and seals -- mainly around any windows that move.

So if the frames and seals, etc. are equal you do gain a small thermal advantage (in theory) with dual pane windows. However, as you will notice in the comments, the people who prefer thick single pane over dual pane are those who have had the dual pane windows fog up internally, and unfortunately that seems to be more a matter of "when" than "if."

Bottom line is that the windows in RV's are just one source of heat gain/loss no matter what they are made of, so some people prefer the simple thick single pane over the slightly more efficient but more failure prone dual pane.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
gorwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #17

I surely don't presume to be able to make any definitive recommendations on this issue, but I can add another data point, based on my experience with our coach.

We bought a 2012 Bus in 2015, used with 15K miles on the odo. The passenger double-pane window was obviously distressed, and the seal had failed, to the point that the top 25% was nearly opayque. We knew we'd have to deal with it.

At Red Bay in Dec 2016, I listed that as a repair item for Express Bay. The techs there, with no hesitation, suggested we replace the failed double pane window with a single pane replacement, and told us that many customers opted for that, and were happy they did. We agreed, and are quite pleased with the result.

Humidity control is always a concern with RVs, and I do try to control humidity with ceiling vent fans, etc, but the single-pane glass simply hasn't been a problem. I'd make the same decision again, given the opportunity. One has no way to know when dual pane window seals will fail, but with single pane glass, it's not a concern.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:14 AM   #18

If I may simplify this, Anderson windows can do an R5 in 1/2 inch thermopanes. most of the cold/ heat being spoke of is going to come from the aluminum frame itself.

The failed insulated glass, is just bad glass, that can be replaced at any good glass shop. The frames and sashes are fine. And only 4 screws away from being replaced.

Any good glass shop can take what you bring them, and in a week or two. Pick up a duplicate replacement sealed unit. Trust American small business.

I am not saying it is easy, but I am saying it is easier than you think it is.

Open the window half way, lift up, pull out bottom from track, sash is out, your halfway there.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Open the window half way, lift up, pull out bottom from track, sash is out, your halfway there.

Wish it was that easy. I don't think mine come out that way. And certainly not the fixed section if it fails. However, (knock on wood) mine are still good. I like the double pane windows, if nothing more than helping the quietness of the coach.
jt

harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single