Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2017, 07:30 AM   #1

Dual pane vs single

We are looking at the Tiffins and we were going with the 37 Red but now find out they just come with the 1/4 inch single pane windows. Our last coach was a Winnebago with dual pane windows and they were great. Do the single pane windows work as well in the Tiffins or should we change to the Phaeton line?
swheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2017, 07:38 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The singles do not work as well. When we were in cold weather there was condensation all over the inside of them
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:59 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Dual pane vs single

Phaeton 40QBH here. We drove a RED and did like it very much, but ended up getting a Phaeton. This is our first MH and we had very little criteria because, we’ll, we were newbies. I wanted DP with 350HP minimum. She had to be happy with the layout and furniture. That was it. This was a year ago and have been very happy with the decision. Our criteria decision never even considered the little things like you’re pointing out. After making the jump, having it for a year, reading these forums and now realizing all the small differences, we’ve felt lucky we made the move. We put 10K miles on it this year. Safe travels.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:00 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
We had a RED with single pane windows and now a Phaeton with the dual panes. I will say the double panes are better, but I don't think that would be a deciding factor for me if all else were equal. The double pane windows are darker tinted than the ones in our RED and that is a big bonus.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:16 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Not familiar with either MH's, but single pane windows will develope more condensation then double pane and allow more heat loss.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:35 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
A picture of a single pane window in our old Winnebago after the dog tried looking out the window. Newer Tiffin single pane is better. Did last winter in snowbird country with only the windshield fogging up every night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Trip1_2012 002.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	399.9 KB
ID:	185719  
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you can afford it, go for the Phaeton. The windows are Tiffin designed/manufactured and are really good. Lots of other benefits going to a Phaeton as well.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:11 PM   #8

Dual pane windows on my Southwind have some type of air leak as nearly all have a bad film on the inside. Some type of screw up by Fleetwood glass supplier. Would cost me over 2k to change them all out. No warranty now.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:07 PM   #9

If that’s the biggest reason you can find for going to a Phaeton, then it’s not worth it. Otherwise, the Phaeton has it all over the Red in other areas. Just make sure the DW loves the floor plan no matter which one you choose.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by swheels View Post
We are looking at the Tiffins and we were going with the 37 Red but now find out they just come with the 1/4 inch single pane windows. Our last coach was a Winnebago with dual pane windows and they were great. Do the single pane windows work as well in the Tiffins or should we change to the Phaeton line?
Our previous motorhome had dual "pain" windows that failed after several years. Almost every window fogged up ... some so badly you could hardly see out of them. This has been a constant problem with double pane windows in RV's. The failures may be due to the vibration and significant pressure changes as we travel over bad roads and mountains.
Our 2014 Allegro 34TGA has the Tiffin quarter inch single pane windows, and we love them. They are crystal clear and easy to clean. We notice no difference in condensation during cold weather. However, most RV's are way too humid inside during cold weather due to moisture buildup from taking showers, cooking, and just living in the RV. We always run a small dehumidifier during cool weather. It not only removes excess moisture, but it adds a bit of heat as well. Until the industry comes up with "everclear" dual pane windows, I personally would stay away from dual pane!

2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
gorwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:55 PM   #11

I have built and rebuilt a lot of insulated glass units, and was surprised by the lack of use of Desiccant inside the mobile glass. Desiccant is a crystal like the silicon pacs you see inside some packaging.

If glass is failed, you can just replace the insulated glass itself from any good glass shop. The frames and glass surrounds are fine.

A double silicon sealed double pane unit done right should be immune to elevation, or vibration.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Have a RED, and windows have been fine. I read so many horror stories on the different forums of having to replace dual pane windows, I didn't look at dual panes as a true benefit. I figured any improvement in insulation, is offset by the risk and cost of having to replace. Since all RV's aren't very airtight anyhow with the slide seals, not sure 'insulation' is really that much of a factor at all.

I have 3 windows in my S&B to replace because of fogging....job for the spring.

Don't think either one would be a decision maker. You're only talking about the small side windows, the big front is the same either way.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:36 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
It doesn't matter what brand of MH you have. Single pane windows will not provide the insulation of dual pane, and this is for cold and heat.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:57 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have dual pane windows in mine coach. As far as I know - all are original and in good shape. (I'm sure that will change now that I've said that). I will say I think it makes for a much quieter coach. We really don't hear much of anything going on outside. Its very quiet and I attribute part of that to the dual pane windows.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single