RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Dumb question: Getting to the pump

I am new to the Motor Home world having just bought a 32 foot 2006 Allegro gas burner. Had my first experiencing attempting to fuel this monster. It took me three gas stations before I could find one that allowed me to position the RV so that the fuel hose would reach. Therefore, a simple question, do truck stops only sell diesel at the truck bays or is gas available as well?

KiwiKoues is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
May I ask where your filler cap is located? Mine is on the passenger side so I pull in with the pumps on my right. This has never been a problem at any station.

Remember, there is never a dumb question, unless I am the one asking.

OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:51 AM   #3

Never a dumb question tho some times the answers you recieve makes you wonder a bit. Truck stops only carry diesel at the truck lane tho some now have bulk DEF at the truck lane also. You shouldn't have any problem refueling at almost any station other than the Mom/Pop type out in the boonies. Those are normally the ones that you get bad fuel/junk from. Get out and check the pumps location PRIOR to pulling up to the pumps
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:03 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go to the gas islands at truck stops along with the cars.
I always do a quick assessment of a gas station before pulling in especially if they are smaller stations. I pull a toad so I have to make sure I can pull through without backing up. Some are just too small to get in and out of or are plugged up with cars.
Plan ahead and don't let the gas get way down so you have some choice.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:10 AM   #5

Try and get the end row of pumps it makes for a little more maneuvering room on entry and exit I try and use the first pump I pass on the island of two or three so I don't block the drive. Also watch your headroom at older stations if you must use one. Take your time positioning, you will be there a long time pumping anyway and the station will love you for the extra $350 or so you will now leave with them. Like was stated before, try and size up your approach before you enter, and if worse comes to worse just go around and try again!
Doghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:18 AM   #6
paz

Truck islands almost always have only diesel, no gasoline.

Doghauler has good advice about looking for end pumps and about watching out for enough overhead clearance.

Look for gas stations that have the pumps parallel to the road. These are usually easier to get into, but they tend to be older stations - so once again, watch for overhead clearance. Most Flying Js have RV pumps that have diesel AND gas. Most major truck stop chains (Love's, TA, Pilot, etc.) usually have the auto pumps back far enough from the building that you can swing in and out OK.

It takes practice being able to recognize the type of station that you will likely be able to fit into, and it takes practice to know how to best approach the pumps.

I frequently use the MSN Autos website or Gas Buddy to locate stations. Then I use the satellite view or Google Maps for an overhead view to see how much clearance there is, whether I will be able to drive around back, how the approach driveways are situated, etc.

Another thing to keep in mind is you may have to be willing to pay an extra 5 or 10 cents a gallon to be able get in and out of a gas station without problems. Stations with higher prices will be less crowded so you won't have to fight with 4-wheelers for space. Five cents a gallon on a 50 gallon full-up is only $2.50, a small price to pay for easier access.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Longer Hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhauler View Post
Never a dumb question tho some times the answers you recieve makes you wonder a bit. Truck stops only carry diesel at the truck lane tho some now have bulk DEF at the truck lane also. You shouldn't have any problem refueling at almost any station other than the Mom/Pop type out in the boonies. Those are normally the ones that you get bad fuel/junk from. Get out and check the pumps location PRIOR to pulling up to the pumps
I was trying to solve his problem. Some people think it is wrong to pull up to the left side of the pumps. He stated that the "hose's are not long enough". There is nothing wrong pulling up to the side of the filler cap. Allot easier then looking for a pump with a longer hose.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Thanks for your reply Kiwi. Now I understand your problem. Not a good one either. I wish you the best.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:04 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As far as pulling up on the left... Many of our local stations have BIG white arrows painted on the ground, all going in the same direction on all the pump lanes right and left to accommodate those with fuel access doors on both sides of the vehicle. Not that people look or obey them but.......................
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:24 AM   #10

My filler is on the rear cap just left of the center. I always try to get the lane with pumps to my left. I found that looking at the rear monitor as soon as the pump comes into the screen, I stop. I have fueled from the other side but it seems I have to get really close the island for the hose reach.