Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2016, 11:22 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Electric Clicking Problem

When we picked up our 2013 Allegro 36L everything seemed great. However when we plugged it in at our home base in Naples, FL we began having this strange electrical problem. I was plugged into our 50 amp receptacle at the post. Both a/c units were on and then suddenly we heard a loud clicking noise from below the coach and the lights and the appliances including the Microwave and Fridge were going on and off. No blown circuit breakers or fuses. I turned off one of the a/c units and everything went back to normal. I realized that the hot water heater was on using electric. I thought that I was drawing too much power. We left the motorhome with everything turned off except the refrigerator. My neighbor called me and said that the motorhome was making that loud clicking noise and he said it had something to do with the electricity. He removed the cable from the 50 amp breaker and attached a 30 amp adapter, plugged it into the 30 amp receptacle and everything was fine for 2 weeks. When I arrived back, I replaced the 50 amp receptacle at the post and returned the plug to 50amps. Everything seemed good. We recently went to Disneyworld and plugged into 50 amps and everything ran great. We returned to our home base in Naples FL, plugged back into the new 50 amp receptacle, used both a/c units while we cleaned up after our trip, then shut everything off except the refrigerator and left. Three days later, my neighbor called and said the motorhome was making that loud clicking noise again, so once again he attached the 30 amp adapter and plugged it into the 30 amp receptacle. Everything went back to normal.

Here's my question. Can it be the circuit breaker in my post? Can it be in whatever is making that clicking noise in the motorhome, and what would make that noise? Is it the converter/inverter? Is there some kind of built in surge protector that can be affected by the switch from 50 amp to 30 amp?
Why does this happen when there is really no load on the system, just the refrigerator.

Any ideas and help will surely be appreciated. I don't want to begin replacing parts one after the other and really not getting anywhere. If I can only get an idea what is making that loud clicking noise.

Thanks in advance for any help

Bob Fedderwitz
bonabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2016, 11:56 PM   #2

Who wired that 50 amp plug your plugging into? If all was AOK while away from home but crops back up when you plug in at the FL home. Is it a G.F.I. breaker? I'd have a qualified electrician take a look.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:33 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had a similar issue in FL. this year. Turned out to be on of the kegs at the plug. Tiffin advised to take the cover off the surge protector. Take a meter and check voltage between the ground wire (green) and the two hot legs. Black and red. Then do the same between the neutral (white) and black and red. There is where you will find the problem. If it only at home and no where else something is not right in the panel or plug.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:06 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Do you have a Progressive Industries EMS system? If it detects high or low voltage at the plug, it will interrupt power in the situation corrects itself. The clunk you hear is the transfer switch. The Progressive system itself can sometimes have problems and if you can bypass it, I would try that as well.

It could also be a bad transfer switch.

It could be bad incomming power.

It could be a bad power cord.

You need to get out the multimeter and start checking your incoming electric all the way to the transfer switch.

For better answers than you are likely to get here, try the Tiffin RV network forum. They have a similar topic running right now.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
I removed the circuit breaker and sure enough there was heavy corrosion on the bus bar. It was green and rust. I sanded the bus bar and sprayed contact cleaner and lubricant. I also sprayed the contact cleaner into the connector of the circuit breaker. I will purchase a new breaker as this one is 20 years old and sits in the pedestal open to the elements. I also noticed corrosion on one of the screws of one leg going to the receptacle. I'll get that cleaned up when I change out the breaker. However, everything is working. Time will tell.
Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this.

Bob
Old 03-05-2016, 10:50 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After all the switching your transfer switch made, I would inspect the contacts carefully ....they could be damaged, pitting etc.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:38 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Well, after all is said and done, I purchased a new sureguard AT switch. I contacted sureguard and got nowhere except that they make excellent and reliable equipment. I contacted Tiffin who advised me that they were still using the same AT switch on their current models. So, I purchased it through Amazon, got it in two days and installed it in about an hour. Two weeks plus and absolutely no more clicking or banging. I run both A/C units plus all the other electrical stuff, TV's, Microwave and a toaster.
Thank you to all who replied. Your advice and experience is priceless.