RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2014, 09:31 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Electric Induction Cooktop

I would like to get some input on the Induction Cooktops offered in the new Allegro Bus. Do they work well? Any complaints on the operation? Also, when hooked up to a 30 amp service, do you need to run the generator in order to use the cooktop?

Thanks, Sammie

Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I have the Jen Aire cooktop in our Allegro Bus. I do not like it at all. It keeps turning off. Takes forever to just boil water??? You must be careful not to put anything on it when it is not on or it will lite up. Wasted space on the counter that I could use for other things. I use my convection oven/microwave oven for most things.

parrett1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:54 AM   #3

e

The Induction cook top that Tiffen is not same as used by some of the other manufactures. We have a True Induction that DW likes using instead of gas.
You can find a manual for the Summit SINC2220 here. In the manual it says that there is a child lock out that should keep burner from coming on when not in use. True Induction (our model) recommends that a external switch be added to circuit. Ours has this feature.
We use the generator for cooking when not hooked to shore power. The Tiffen model is 220 volt. Would probably require shore power or generator. We do have a inverter that will run ours. But it draws a lot of power if both burners are used.
Biggest positive about Induction is not cooking over a hot stove.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #4

The Tiffin RV Network forum has a big discussion about these units in the new Tiffin's and a lot of folks don't seem too pleased with them. You can find it at the Induction Cooktop Replacement Experience thread, but you have to be a member to view the thread ( a real PITA). here's the first post and it goes on for 2 pages: I'm pasting a post I just made on one of the Food topics, so others who aren't following it can benefit from our experience with the Tiffin-supplied induction cooktop: ************************************************** **** We've had the Summit induction cooktop that's standard on the new Bus for about a month. We looked forward to induction cooking in the coach since we heard very good things about induction cooking in general. We both love to cook. Our experience with the Summit unit was anything but good. It did heat rapidly and was fine for heating soup or boiling water, and the first experience with browning a chop or steak wasn't bad. However, when we tried to simmer or slowly brown some chopped vegetables, it was terrible. It was basically impossible to simmer things without burning them, even with the unit turned to setting #1 of eight levels. I called the manufacturer, thinking I was doing something wrong or perhaps there was a defect, and the tech support person I talked to said flatly, "it's not intended to simmer. You can't simmer on that unit." I was amazed that Tiffin would put such a unit in the rig. The problem, basically, is that the Summit unit has a very simple induction "burner" in it, and operates on only one wattage. It's either on or off, like a microwave unit, and will not stay on at a low power setting. If you set it to a low setting, it will boil hard for a few seconds, then shut off for some time, then full boil again, etc., etc. What this means is that when you try to cook at a low temperature, like scrambling eggs, you are defeated before you start. By the way, we trashed the cheap pans Tiffin provided and purchased a good set of Calphalon and All-Clad for frying. That didn't help. I did some research on the internet and found lots of reviews on other induction units. We found a unit made by Fagor, the company that makes the best pressure cookers, and had one shipped to Red Bay last week while we were at the service center. It fit in the exact same cutout at the Summit, and Tiffin installed it at no cost. Not many manufacturers make a two-burner unit, otherwise referred to as a "domino" unit, because of it's shape. This new Fagor unit is amazing! It has 12 settings for each burner, from 50 watt to 1800 watt, and can simmer evenly at a very low temperature. In a flash, the heat can turn to very high for browning, and every point in between. It's similar to the Summit in that it's a black glass top, but has a stainless frame that looks terrific in the new kitchen. It wasn't cheap, at $900 plus shipping, but for all the years we intend to use this new rig and all the cooking we'll be doing, it's well worth it. Also, it uses the same electrical connections. All the tech in the service center had to do was put a 240v 20a plug on the end of the Fagor's pigtail and plug it in. The Summit is held in place with just silicon caulk around the perimeter, and with some care and a sharp knife, is easily removed. It would be a fairly simple do-it-yourself project to install, since the plug is easily found under the sink, even with the dishwasher installed under the cooktop, it's easy to get to. I'm also going to give Tiffin some feedback. The Summit unit, which the campground store sells for $612, isn't worth anywhere near that price. It's a piece of junk, and not up to the quality of a Bus...or any other Tiffin unit for that matter. If anyone's interested, I can post or PM a link. _________________ John & Carol 2014 Allegro Bus 45LP - White Mahogany 2013 Caddilac SRX Max and Sophie, the Labs "We share the driving...I drive the highways; she drives the buy-ways." Hope this is some help.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #5

We have 3 different Induction units. One is portable. Another one is a full size range in the house. Last one is the True Induction I mentioned above. They all have temperature control. The Summit unit does not have temperature control.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #6

Sad to see another issue that does not seem to be up to to the Tiffin standards of the past. We are looking at buying a new 45ft Bus, but this is the second issue that will need immediate replacement ("miniature" L shaped couch). Not happy spending this much money and getting low quality stuff that even cheaper coach builders are not skimping on. I think we are going to see how Tiffin responds and we will keep looking at other brands.
Pa Uon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Uon View Post
Sad to see another issue that does not seem to be up to to the Tiffin standards of the past. We are looking at buying a new 45ft Bus, but this is the second issue that will need immediate replacement ("miniature" L shaped couch). Not happy spending this much money and getting low quality stuff that even cheaper coach builders are not skimping on. I think we are going to see how Tiffin responds and we will keep looking at other brands.

Many other brands out there that offer more bang for the buck.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #8
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you go with gas you can leave the cover on and only use it when absolutely necessary if you buy a portable one or two. We have two and use them every day. They have temperature control and can be placed anywhere on the counter or over the stove. They do not heat the RV up like gas and use very little power.

We have the Nu Wave models. Heck, you can even use them outside with an extension cord so they are very versatile.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We are currently building (almost done) a 45LP Bus, And So It Begins The Building Of Our Tiffin Allegro Bus 45LP | Outside Our Bubble.

The induction cook top that Tiffin supplies is a lower end model (Summit) that does not simmer. We read the reviews on the Tiffin forum and have since replaced the Summit induction cook top that Tiffin uses to a higher end Fagor unit that does simmer among other things. The problem being with the Tiffin Summit model is that it is either full on or full off. So if you are wanting to simmer something at 20%, the cook top goes full on, then full off and rotates between the two. The Fagor cook top that we replaced it with has a true variable speed. So it will put out 50 watts to 3600 watts. It's a direct replacement unit. I say that in the sense that it will fit directly in the hole where the Summit one is installed and uses the same plug. Good luck finding one though. They are tough to find. We found one and carried it with us for 2+ months because we know we wanted it even though our coach wasn't to be built until later.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbott View Post
We are currently building (almost done) a 45LP Bus, And So It Begins The Building Of Our Tiffin Allegro Bus 45LP | Outside Our Bubble.

The induction cook top that Tiffin supplies is a lower end model (Summit) that does not simmer. We read the reviews on the Tiffin forum and have since replaced the Summit induction cook top that Tiffin uses to a higher end Fagor unit that does simmer among other things. The problem being with the Tiffin Summit model is that it is either full on or full off. So if you are wanting to simmer something at 20%, the cook top goes full on, then full off and rotates between the two. The Fagor cook top that we replaced it with has a true variable speed. So it will put out 50 watts to 3600 watts. It's a direct replacement unit. I say that in the sense that it will fit directly in the hole where the Summit one is installed and uses the same plug. Good luck finding one though. They are tough to find. We found one and carried it with us for 2+ months because we know we wanted it even though our coach wasn't to be built until later.
I have heard that the Fagor cooktops are no longer available but I was wondering if you could supply me with a model # so that just by chance I can find one in somebody's stock somewhere.

Thanks,
Sammie
Old 03-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
I have heard that the Fagor cooktops are no longer available but I was wondering if you could supply me with a model # so that just by chance I can find one in somebody's stock somewhere.

Thanks,
Sammie
Here is the site that gives the info on the Fagor...

12 Inch Induction Cooktop | Fagor

Model no. IFA-30 AL

Yes, I believe they are discontinued. However, their might still be some somewhere in someone's stock. We bought ours 2 months before our build because of what we have heard about the Tiffin Summit cook top.

Good luck!
Old 03-19-2014, 11:45 AM   #12

Not sure if this is same Fagor, no model listed. Sounds like they have plenty at a thousand bucks each.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Uon View Post
Not sure if this is same Fagor, no model listed. Sounds like they have plenty at a thousand bucks each.
Can you please provide a website or link for that cooktop.

Thanks, Sammie
Old 03-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #14

Whoops. forgot that part:

Fagor 12-inch Stainless Steel Induction Cooktop | Overstock.com Shopping - Big Discounts on Fagor America Ranges & Ovens