RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2019, 11:44 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Electric Steps

The electric steps on my 2016 TIFFIN ALLEGRO 31SA were not working, stuck in. I took it to the dealer and of course they worked. Dealer could find nothing. They worked for several weeks, I kept checking. The coach has NOT move and we are getting real to head out, now they are stuck out. It does not matter if the coach is running or not, they remain out. I put it ingear while running still no movement. Swith on of off all the same results. ANY IDEAS?

tjvogtiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2019, 11:51 AM   #2

Could be a bad ground. Often the motor is stuck. The inner workings have some plastic pieces that aren't very robust. You can always disconnect motor and wiring and bungee closed and use a step stool to get by temporarily. Replacing the motor and checking all connections works wonders. Once you see the inside of one, you'll understand why you can never ever step on them while they are still moving.

pbucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:30 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Pbucha! After your reply about being stuck, I went out and hit it, not hard, just to see if it was stuck. WELL that worked all is working properly now. The dealer is going to replace the motor on my instance. LONG TERM warranty
Old 06-04-2019, 12:35 PM   #4

Step problem

We too had problems with erratic step operation (on our 2010 Phaeton). I discovered that tapping on the solenoid (DS front bay) seemed to correct problem for a while. Finally we tired of this. After some careful troubleshooting, I learned that apparently the actuator was over-actuating, causing the system to jam.

Bought new motor/actuator assembly, installed, and no problems since.

If steps are stuck out when you replace actuator, you can access as needed. If stuck in, on my unit, it is necessary to disconnect adjustment linkage to move steps out of the way--a real PITA!
gk42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:03 AM   #5

On going problem. I seem to have to replace the motor every 2 - 4 years. Nylon gears just get stripped. I've had class c's that had same problem. Dave
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:10 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The steps on my 2016 36LA had the exact same problem several times.
I learned to buy and keep the Kwikee step motor from Amazon. The price fluctuates, so watch it and buy around $50.
https://www.amazon.com/Kwikee-379147.../dp/B005G21JP2
It goes on easily, just 3 screws.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:11 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Did you by any chance check the door switch? Your model uses a push button switch mounted in the leading edge of the door jamb. This switch can get jammed, dirty, and out of adjustment. Squirt some contact cleaner in and around it and try it out by pushing on it with your finger. Your steps should work as expected but sometimes you might need to add more shim to get it to activate.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:12 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks went throught the whole thing; switch, door button, engine on & off, plugged in , plugged out. A tap on. the motor and it started working. Read on another forum, the motor has a small plastic piece inside that sometimes breaks or a gear jams. Both require a new motor for LONG term cure. Atap usually frees the gear jam. I was lucky. Now the dealer has to rep[lace the motor.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:38 PM   #9
BEC

I have replaced steps on 2 motor homes and I really believe if I had silicones all pivot points including the ones on the arm and kept batteries a proper charge I could have save at least one replacement. I know plastic gears break but mostly its lubrications and batteries. You canít over do it.
BEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:16 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
tjvogtiii,

Could be motor since the tap works for you. When they change the motor have them lube all joints on the linkage and steps AND ask for the old motor.
I replaced my motor and still didn't work right because the bolts through the step mount holding the linkage box in place had sheered off allowing it to rotate when the motor was bringing the steps in so they would stop short. FIxed it with a 6" hose clamp and doing fine. Old motor works good too so will keep it for a backup. Will be pulling the steps once back heals and drill out the old bolts. Hopefully I can get them out of the linkage and replace them - step unit is way too expensive.

Best wishes - Richard

Tags
electric, electric steps, steps