Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2015, 06:18 AM   #1

Electrical Help

We are on our first long trip--Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34 TGA, yesterday the power to the plug for our microwave ceased to have power--check fuses and nothing tripped. This morning, we are awakened to the co alarm, and the entire inside of the coach is dark--no power to anything. We are plugged into a 50amp service--our 120 wall plugs still have power, but the heater and anything else normally powered is not working. Looking for some advice here as this is just our first week in on a three week trip
Coach Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2015, 06:24 AM   #2

If the Houses batteries are dead maybe you have an inverter/converter out? If that is the case you could use a portable battery charger to run from working outlets to charge the batteries as you find another inverter/converter!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:55 AM   #3

Just curious- If you go to the outside power pedestal and shut off the 50A breaker, do the coach 120VAC outlets still work? With the same breaker shut off, does anything (even 12VDC) work, and if so, what?

You could perform the same test (almost) by shutting off the main breaker at your coach's electrical center, but it's the "almost" I'm interested in.

Oh, and do you have a surge protector (a.k.a. "EMS") with a display? If so, what does it say?

I almost forgot: If your air conditioners are on, shut them off (by using the switches or breakers) before throwing the pedestal or power center breakers. There's no use having an incoming current surge should power come on suddenly.

Mark
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:05 AM   #4

One more thing. You mention the carbon monoxide alarm. I've seen battery-powered and AC-powered ones. Which is yours? If AC, where is it plugged in? When it alarmed, what did it say on its display (if any)?

It already occurred to you, I'm sure, that you want to make sure that the CO alarm is not alarming because of a dangerous carbon monoxide level, instead of an electrical fault.

Mark
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:32 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like an inverter needing a reset. Something has tripped the inverter and therefore you will get no 12v charging, no pass through 110v voltage to your microwave or the TV sets. Your 12v system has drained the batteries which is what tripped the CO/LP detector and caused the lights, thermostat, and so on not to work.

Drag out your inverter manual and see how to do a reset. Once you've accomplished that, turn your shore power back on and give it a while to get some charge back into your house batteries before you try a few things.

If you can't get the inverter reset, call Tiffin on Monday and have them point you to the nearest dealer or RV Service place where you can get it repaired. Tiffin is very flexible on warranty repairs and will even reimburse you for mobile repair techs if needed.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #6

The coach started right up, were able to pull in the slides and hit the road. Arrived in Montana--did our normal set up and EVERYTHING WORKED as desired. Everything is working so now I am at a complete loss as to why except the idea that the coach batteries somehow got drained and things stopped working. Once we got the motor running, it appears the batteries got charged and our task panel now shows the volts steady at 13.6 which i hope is the proper reading.

Thank you everyone for reaching out--it was comforting to see helpful hints when at 0400 and an alarm is going off---you really aren't sure (this is my case anyway) what to do. I did act towards safety first--opened some windows, had my wife and dog prepare to leave the coach, but once we determined it was a battery issue with this strings help---we calmed a bit. As luck would have it everything works right now. I do now have a battery charger and if I see the house battery voltage dropping I plan to either start the coach or to put the house batteries on a charger. I have also found my owners manual for the inverter for my nights homework. Many thanks again
Coach Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:25 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Guess: You lost park power.. Your inverter may have continued to power things (like Microwave) If you have one or if you do not then it did not. Finally the batteries ran down and assorted alarms will sound when that happens (Most common is the explosive gas but on some coach Smoke and CO detectors are also hooked to batteires)

Your new park,, You plugged into an outlet, Flipped the breakers to ON and it became LIVE, so now everything works.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:09 AM   #8

Keep an eye on your battery meter and if it starts to drop while you are plugged in you may still have the converter problem. Your engine will charge the house batteries while you drive, so you may have gotten them charged up and you may have the same issue. We always turn off our inverter when we are plugged in or do not use to avoid having the batteries run down when an unexpected power loss occurs. Hope it was just the park power.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:03 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I would strongly recommend that you purchase a Progressive Industries EMS or similar. That is cheap protection from bad pedestal power. Progressive will let you know the voltage entering the coach so you know if it there is low or no voltage coming into the coach. Ours has saved our coach electronics from low voltage, spikes and other problems twice.

You would have been able to view the readings and know immediately if you had lost power at the pedestal. If not then move to the next possibility which was low batteries in your case. Check to see if your coach has an inverter or converter. Inverters usually have battery chargers that keep the house batteries charged. You may have a blown fuse on the inverter.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You don't mention what you have for an inverter or power management. If you have the magnum power panel, check to make sure your charger and inverter are on, they can be shut off inadvertently on that panel. If the Charger is off, the inverter will kill your house batteries in short order but will be recharged when you run the engine which would start up easily as its on a separate battery.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical