RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2014, 06:52 AM   #1

Electrical Problem

Just returned home from a short trip over Thanksgiving. Found that both electrical outlets on either side of the kitchen sink don't work. They have a decal that states they are both covered by a GFCI. Additionally, the refrigerator will not switch over to shore power but works fine on propane. I wonder if the two problems are connected? My problem is that I can't find the GFCI to reset it. There is one in the bathroom area but resetting it does not solve the problem. I don't think this is the right one. My coach is an 2004 Allegro Bus 40 TGP 400. I have spent approximately 2 hours inside the coach and in the bay looking for the culprit. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Pat F is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2014, 07:00 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You most likely have another GFI. I'll move this to the Tiffin section to get some owner input.
Cliff
PS
It may be an inverter issue. Have you checked that fuse,/breaker ?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:07 AM   #3

Yes, I have checked both inverter breakers. Thanks
Old 12-02-2014, 07:42 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
GFI's are somewhat difficult to find. I'd say it has to be inside. It may be in a bathroom or kitchen well hidden under a cabinet .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:07 PM   #5

Your GFCI may be one of the outlets on that circuit containing the two outlets, or even be one of them. They are often two buttons, called "test" and "reset" between the two outlets on a duplex plug. Then, the "slave" outlets are daisy-chained off of the GFCI outlet so that all use the same GFCI circuit. The master GFCI may even be on a duplex plug on the opposite wall you are concerned with. Note that the breaker must be "on" for that circuit for the GFCI to even work, so I'd find that breaker first and make sure it works.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What kind of refrigerator? residential? If not, you may find an additional GFI outside in the refrigerator burner area......
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fridge is an RV type unit, he stated that clearly (At least to me).

Suggestion, if you are at home, Plug in, go out late in the day (Twilight) and look for the little red tattle tale

may be under bed, in cabinet, in basement, or .. Well just about anywhere.

Odds are good they Fridge is on the Same GFCI chain. Why they do that I do not know, but they do it.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Fridge is an RV type unit, he stated that clearly (At least to me).

Suggestion, if you are at home, Plug in, go out late in the day (Twilight) and look for the little red tattle tale

may be under bed, in cabinet, in basement, or .. Well just about anywhere.

Odds are good they Fridge is on the Same GFCI chain. Why they do that I do not know, but they do it.
I guess "propane" was the hint
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2005 allegro bus wiring diagram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat F View Post
Just returned home from a short trip over Thanksgiving. Found that both electrical outlets on either side of the kitchen sink don't work. They have a decal that states they are both covered by a GFCI. Additionally, the refrigerator will not switch over to shore power but works fine on propane. I wonder if the two problems are connected? My problem is that I can't find the GFCI to reset it. There is one in the bathroom area but resetting it does not solve the problem. I don't think this is the right one. My coach is an 2004 Allegro Bus 40 TGP 400. I have spent approximately 2 hours inside the coach and in the bay looking for the culprit. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
I have a 2005 wiring schematic in front of me hopefully it will be the same for the 2004 it looks like you come out of the inverter to the PS Bath Main GFI receptacle from there you go to the following receptacles in line ( they are daisy chained one feeds the next one and that feeds the next one etc) PS Pantry-PS lavoratory-DS icemaker-DS vacuum cleaner-PS power dine sld receptacle ( I think that is a receptacle on the PS PWR diner slide)- PS Power Galey Sld receptacle)- PS Cargo- PS bedroom cabinet - PS rear tv- PS dummy recpt- PS dash receptacle

this branch starts from the PS dummy recept- PS TV in mot satellite-PS VCR satellite RF mod receptacle- PS VCR,Sat RF Mod- DVD These are all receptacles and I believe they will be controlled by the first GFI in the series. There is a branch that feeds from the PS Power Galley Sld receptacle ( I assume again that is the Receptacle on the galley slide) this feeds to a junction box on the galley slide and then to Passenger Slide galley wall- and again from the junction box to the PS galley Cab receptacle

Now then I believe the first GFI receptacle feeds all of the ones I mentioned above. I know it works like that in my coach. I only have one GFI. I would get me a 7.00 ac tester at Walmart, Lowes, etc. You plug it in and it tells you if you have ac and if they are wired right. For your purposes this is the easiest and fastest way to test. I don't trust meters because I am never positive I made connection with the receptacles tabs. I would see if the Back Bedroom TV works If it does. I would go to the junction box in the slide. ( probably underneath the slide on the outer wall) and see if I had power in there. Since it looks like you are having trouble with receptacles on the slide I would imagine it is a broke wire rather than a tripped GFI. If the back bedroom tv does not work I would go back to the DS dining room slide and see if I had power there. Then go whichever way you needed to from that.

I hope this helps. Again this is for a 2005 TSP but I hope they are wired generally the same.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #10

Here's an update. I don't believe there is another GFCI. I plugged the refrig into an extension cord and it works fine on my home 120. Thank the Lord it's not the refrig. Threw the inverter CB off for a couple of hours and both receptacles and the refrig worked OK for a short period and then shut down again. I think I may have an inverter problem or a house battery problem that causes the inverter to not transfer enough power to run the refrig and the two inline receptacles. The inverter does not seem to be overheating; or at least the warning light doesn't indicate it. However, I'm too much of a novice to understand the system. Called Xantrex and they gave me a procedure to go through which I didn't completely understand. Guess I'll call back and write it down in detail. Has anyone else seen anthing like this? I'm still working on it and will update further as I get time. Thanks, Semper Fi
Old 12-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #11

Gfi outlet

I had an outlet go out in pantry area and it blew out all the plugs. tiffin replaced the one outlet and this corrected the problem. What you will have to find which outlet blows which in turn blows out the rest. After awhile we could get it to reset in rear restroom and it would work for awhile then it would blow out once more losing everything from front outlets to rear. They told me to reset and test each outlet from front to back.
grizz427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:16 AM   #12

I think I would check the wiring to all the plugs on the circuit. Remove the plugs from the wall by undoing the screws and pulling out the duplex plug units with the wires attached. Tighten all connections, including the battery connections and the Xantrex connections. Inspect the connections to any circuit breakers. Check the voltage coming into the Xantrex and out of the Xantrex. Is it giving you the correct voltages on both sides?
Old 12-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
GFCI outlets, like the ones Tiffin installs, go bad over time and have to be replaced. Tiffin usually installs 2 GFI outlets, one located in the kitchen area and one located usually in the bathroom area. Check all circuit breakers, especially those labeled "Slide". They may look okay but not be so reset them. You also should have a fuse block under the fridge area which you might check to make sure nothing failed there.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:50 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat F View Post
Here's an update. I don't believe there is another GFCI. I plugged the refrig into an extension cord and it works fine on my home 120. Thank the Lord it's not the refrig. Threw the inverter CB off for a couple of hours and both receptacles and the refrig worked OK for a short period and then shut down again. I think I may have an inverter problem or a house battery problem that causes the inverter to not transfer enough power to run the refrig and the two inline receptacles. The inverter does not seem to be overheating; or at least the warning light doesn't indicate it. However, I'm too much of a novice to understand the system. Called Xantrex and they gave me a procedure to go through which I didn't completely understand. Guess I'll call back and write it down in detail. Has anyone else seen anthing like this? I'm still working on it and will update further as I get time. Thanks, Semper Fi

did you ever find your problem

gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical