Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2019, 01:36 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Electronics help needed, please help an old guy

I've mentioned in other threads that when we got our used coach the electronic cabinet was empty short of a whole bunch of wires. I'm getting a lot figured out but need a bit more help.

I'm getting a hi def cable box with an IF remote. I started studying IF repeaters online and oh my, I say, I have part of that in my coach.

So what I'm wondering, am I missing part of what I need to make the repeater work. Picture 2 is a wire that goes to Picture 3. Picture 4 are the parts that attach to a receiver or in my case a cable box. I feel like I'm missing the main part of a repeater, but, I don't know how or where it would connect. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the photos turned the wrong way, I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cWZ+Tm23Ta+LGd6233bcQQ.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	234959   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_73c.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	234960  

Name:	k7dJcSHDQTS1MG9GzRVlVw.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	234962   Click image for larger version

Name:	DNbfYHYKRF6P%H0UmMW46A.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	234963  

brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Sorry, I also have these two wires that don't connect to anything.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zn+jqtBRR+eBBKS%mhmEww.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	234964  
Old 02-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't have that system but I've used IR repeaters in my home and this looks similar.

The box with the 3 LED's on it is the receiver. Looks like there's a DC input jack on it, which likely goes to a wall wart or other power source. This would be located somewhere you can "see" the remote control(s) to be used.

The part you're holding in your hand are the transmitter ends, you'd locate those near the IR window of whatever it is you're controlling. These things are "dumb", i.e. winky in = winky out so they'll work with any IR remote or controlled device. You could put one transmitter LED by your cable box then the other by the TV, and control them both through the one repeater. Since the IR signal is coming from the LED at the end of this wire, as long as it's shining towards the controlled unit it will work with equipment that's otherwise shaded from the remote, say inside of a cabinet.

To troubleshoot you'd first verify it has DC power in, then see if you can control something through it with a remote that has been verified as working direct.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:37 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Mark. I really appreciate the help and you taking the time to reply. Hope I can lend a hand to you some time. Have a great week.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:10 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That is a Spyder control IR blaster.
Go to the Spyder web site and down load the manual for Spyder blaster. It will show you how to sync them with your IR remotes etc. Those little clear pads go on the face of your DVR etc where the IR lenses is.

Sign in to get to the manual....user name is Tiffin, password is Motorhome.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:53 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
As Gary said, that is the IR repeater and you have all the parts. It was designed initially to work with a DirecTV receiver so it may or may not work with a cable box you'll just have to try it and see. I just happen to have the Spyder IR manual handy, so here it is. By the way, the password is Motorhomes (plural and case sensitive).
http://spydercontrols.com/customer-login/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Spyder WIRE1 IR User Manual.pdf (180.5 KB, 59 views)
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you so much, we have been wondering what and how they function.
lzucconi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:13 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
You guys are the bomb. I love this forum. Thanks so much for the information and links to the manual. Can't tell you how much it means having this support group.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
Good information above. The IR stuff is simple once you find the smart window on the front of a box that is the little IR receiver on the box. That being said, the report for my Direct TV box uses radio waves to talk to the direct tv receiver so does not need the IR stuff. That coach came with Panasonic blue ray player that drives the speakers in the main salon. It does use the IR repeaters to talk to it when you are out in the main salon.

Hope that helps. Jeff
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:56 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
Good information above. The IR stuff is simple once you find the smart window on the front of a box that is the little IR receiver on the box. That being said, the report for my Direct TV box uses radio waves to talk to the direct tv receiver so does not need the IR stuff. That coach came with Panasonic blue ray player that drives the speakers in the main salon. It does use the IR repeaters to talk to it when you are out in the main salon.

Hope that helps. Jeff
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:37 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I wish you the best in sorting this all out. If you find you cannot find the missing parts or give up trying to get it to work, check out wireless IR repeater system options. When the ends ripped off my HDMI cables and re-running would have required way too much work, I found wireless multichannel HDMI transmitters and receivers which also had built in wireless IR repeaters. Made the repair quick and simple.

Best,
-Mark
MarkMaxPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:13 PM   #12
BEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I've mentioned in other threads that when we got our used coach the electronic cabinet was empty short of a whole bunch of wires. I'm getting a lot figured out but need a bit more help.

I'm getting a hi def cable box with an IF remote. I started studying IF repeaters online and oh my, I say, I have part of that in my coach.

So what I'm wondering, am I missing part of what I need to make the repeater work. Picture 2 is a wire that goes to Picture 3. Picture 4 are the parts that attach to a receiver or in my case a cable box. I feel like I'm missing the main part of a repeater, but, I don't know how or where it would connect. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the photos turned the wrong way, I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix it.

In picture 4 the eye buttons for lack of proper term were taped to the inside of the door on electronic cabinet. Kept having issues changing channels ect until I tapped them right over the window on the DVD player. Not will help you much but if you get the other issues resolved this might save you some other issues.
BEC is offline   Reply With Quote