Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Electronics question please

Our new to us 2014 Bus did not have a direct tv receiver. No problem because we wanted Dish Network. I tried to install the Dish receiver today, the basic one that shows the same show on all tv,s. I changed the dip switches to the dish settings but it didn’t work. The receiver couldn’t connect with the satellite dish or the satellite dish didn’t align right. I, sure I’m not providing enough info but any chance someone smarter than me understands what I’m trying to do, explain
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2018, 10:11 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
Our new to us 2014 Bus did not have a direct tv receiver. No problem because we wanted Dish Network. I tried to install the Dish receiver today, the basic one that shows the same show on all tv,s. I changed the dip switches to the dish settings but it didn’t work. The receiver couldn’t connect with the satellite dish or the satellite dish didn’t align right. I, sure I’m not providing enough info but any chance someone smarter than me understands what I’m trying to do, explain
Since you said you changed the DIP switches, I assume it's a Winegard dome antenna. If so, you have to turn it on and give it about ten minutes to lock in the signal before you try to use the Dish receiver. Also, if it's a Wally receiver it will be easier to do the initial setup if you can hook it to a triple LNB antenna like a home antenna or a Trav'ler.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:22 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm assuming you have the fan switch turned on that cools the hdmi splitter boxes .Might have to call Dish to have them send a signal to reboot your box.
RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had the same problem setting up my system. I was not waiting long enough for the Wingard dome dish to lock onto the satellite. It takes a long time to lock on. The manual said wait 6 minutes but it takes a lot longer then 6 minutes on initial set up. When you turn on the dish you will hear it turning and starting to search and then it will have a wobbling sound while it locks on. Wait for the wobbling sound to stop before trying the receiver and make sure the receiver is activated. I have directv. It should be the same process. I had to call and give my receiver box info to customer service. They send a signal to activate the receiver so the dish has to be locked on the satellite.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:26 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
If I remember correctly, I had more than one coax coming down from the antenna, thinking two, they were mismarked and it ended up just being a matter of connecting the other coax to my receiver. Worth a try.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:41 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Some Tiffin models have an A-B switch that connects either the dome or the tripod. If your model has one make sure it is set correctly.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:42 AM   #7

Did you clear your check switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
Turn on your receiver that is installed without the antenna cable hooked up. The purpose of doing this is so any info in the receiver will be cleared out. The receiver will scan for about 10 to 15 minutes and find nothing on its check switch. That's what you want it to do, and save this setting. Then you hook up the antenna, and it will find all 3 satellites, and then you save this setting on your check switch. If you don't first clear your check switch no channels will be found. Every time I change locations I have to do this. See if this works.
BobandDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:12 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
The Winegard box that opens and closes the antenna will tell you if it has locked onto the satellites. watch it while the unit moves around looking for the satelites. Did that work? The first one I received did not and I had to replace the entire roof unit.

On my direct TV unit there is only one coax used and I had to run a new one from the roof to the control unit in the front of the cab. Ran it thru the ceiling duct system.
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:46 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
OP here and first of all, thanks for the responses. I will try the recommended solutions. Couple things I wanted to add to my dilemma is that when I went to the back of the coach where all of the wires come in I found that the fan wires were disconnected. I also have no dvd player and no kind of receiver or anything. Was there something other than a dvd player when this unit was new? If so, will i need that for Dish to work? Also, I have three "cable" wires. One is marked satellite, one is marked traveler 1 and the other traveler 2.

This technology stuff is getting harder and harder for me each year.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
My last 3 Tiffins all had a LG Blu Ray Home Theater dvd player. The coax marked satellite goes up to your in motion satellite dome. Traveler coax would go up to a tilt up dish. You should have a wine guard switch in the forward compartment cubbord that has to be turned on as well. I find it odd the fans were disconnected back in the wiring area. Did the previous owner remove the spiitters ? They are usually on the tv side of the bedroom next to where the sat. receiver goes .
RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:23 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodneyLadd View Post
My last 3 Tiffins all had a LG Blu Ray Home Theater dvd player. The coax marked satellite goes up to your in motion satellite dome. Traveler coax would go up to a tilt up dish. You should have a wine guard switch in the forward compartment cubbord that has to be turned on as well. I find it odd the fans were disconnected back in the wiring area. Did the previous owner remove the spiitters ? They are usually on the tv side of the bedroom next to where the sat. receiver goes .
Thanks for the reply, I got everything going and now enjoying Dish Network. Not sure why the fan wires were cut but I will re-wire and make sure the fan is drawing the hear out of the cabinet as opposed to pulling it in.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:32 AM   #12

there is alot of misinformation in this thread
Old 10-13-2018, 05:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
Ditto !
BobandDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post

How so? I'm having a problem also. New to me 2015 Allegro Red setup for Direct and need to convert to Dish.

Lloyd and Jann
Winger22 is offline   Reply With Quote