RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2017, 02:16 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Electronics upgrade

Hi all,
Here is my pending upgrade.
I would like to upgrade all electronics (A/V) to the following capabilities:
DVR, CD/DVD, Blueray, 5 channel in 2 out A/V source controller (switchbox), add a TV to bedroom and upgrade the front TV to either 4K or the new UHD.
But, there is no HDMI wiring currently in the coach, just coax.
I am considering running HDMI from the existing Sat. and the Razr (Broadcast tv) that I haven't purchased yet, to the electronics cabinet and the front TV.
Isn't there some kind of wireless HDMI repeater / booster to go back to the bedroom tv without running HDMI there.
WIFI is also important as I'll be working while on the road.

I know its a lot, but any input would be appreciated as to the most effective way to combine components and get the signal back to the bedroom tv

Orionfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2017, 08:47 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
What year is your coach? There is usually no need for a switch box since most as most modern TVs can handle at least two HDMI inputs, a cable input and an over the air input. A multiple receiver sat system (DTV Genie or Dish Hopper) and the proper antennas (Winegard Trav'ler) you can watch separate satellite programs on different TVs. These units also supply DVR capabilities.

HDMI can be distributed wirelessly, regular TV and cable signals can be distributed by your current coax cables.

Don't worry about 4K TV. There are only 1 or 2 channels available on satellite at this time. What I don't know is whether a special sat receiver is needed for 4K.

So how many TVs do you plan to have? Nothing you want so far is outside the range of setups found in homes and motorhomes across America.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:29 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I upgraded my system in the 06 Tiffin Allegro Bus to a VSX1124 pioneer home theater. The sound is awesome. I had the same problem with the 2 coax in the bedroom and have yet to overcome it. I did install a signal amp on the OTA antenna to allow my to TVs to switch to OTA without having to push the switches on that multiple switch box. I finally got rid of it. I installed a new TV in the bedroom and it works great for OTA and Chromecast from my phone.

I also read a lot about bad Internet reception in MH parks so I opted for the Verizon LTE 4g home router. It is wonderful and the cost differential from the hotspot is zero. I have the 24gb package and purchased the novetel router from Verizon.

I have 2 HDMI outputs from the VSX1124 for 2 different sources but I can't seem to find a cheap wireless transmitter and receiver for the bedroom that has good reviews. We don't watch that much TV in the bedroom anyway.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:44 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
What year is your coach? There is usually no need for a switch box since most as most modern TVs can handle at least two HDMI inputs, a cable input and an over the air input. A multiple receiver sat system (DTV Genie or Dish Hopper) and the proper antennas (Winegard Trav'ler) you can watch separate satellite programs on different TVs. These units also supply DVR capabilities.

HDMI can be distributed wirelessly, regular TV and cable signals can be distributed by your current coax cables.

Don't worry about 4K TV. There are only 1 or 2 channels available on satellite at this time. What I don't know is whether a special sat receiver is needed for 4K.

So how many TVs do you plan to have? Nothing you want so far is outside the range of setups found in homes and motorhomes across America.
We have a 2007 Tiffin phaeton 40QSH. We just bought it and it has only one tv up front (an older Panasonic 760). We bought it as our retirement gift and is in really good shape except for the entertainment pkg and it only has 4 batts.
Anyway...I plan to add the following
New HD smart TV up front (will relocate away from over the driver / pax area)
For this tv I want to be able to switch the following as desired

Xbox, Blue ray / DVD, Cable (when plugged in), Broadcast ant (winegard rayzr), Winegard in motion sat, Computer / laptop / Ipad.

On the rear tv, to be added, I just want Sat, bcast ant input options.

I have been asking a lot of questions here and doing research as well.
I like to have a lot of options available to us.

I have not had the front tv out yet to see what it has but I have seen no evidence of HDMI cabling anywhere only coax.
I am working on a component interconnect diagram and will post when done.

Internet is also a factor, but after researching, that's an issue all by itself
Old 03-15-2017, 10:49 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I would also like to get FTA channels but I don't really want to put up another antenna just for that. After this is done, we are putting in approx. 1200-1400W solar sysem
Old 03-16-2017, 08:06 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I would concentrate on getting the house up to date first and then redoing the entertainment system. Plan on replacing all of the TVs to start. This may involve cabinet work if you have old tube TVs or earlier digital ones. Your coach may have component cabling (Red, Green, Blue + Red/White for audio). While you can use that for HD, best to retire it. While you are sprucing up the inside, remove the old refrigerator and replace it with a residential, a better inverter (suggest Magnum pure sine wave) and upgrade the battery bank to at least 4 house batteries, preferably 6.

Your dream for FTA channels is just that. Obsolete for a mobile situation. Dome antennas are fine for Dish (they can pick up HD) but not so good with DirecTV. They will work, but SD only. I suggest you get a Winegard Trav'ler for Dish or one for DirecTV. Then you can take advantage of the Dish Hopper (with wireless Joey for the rear TV) or the DirecTV Genie with wireless client for the rear TV. Either one of those will take care of your need for a DVR and gets your rear TV done without cables.

Xbox and BluRay are just boxes that plug into your TV HDMI ports. Easy peasy.

Internet is also easy - just pick your favorite cell provider and get a big data plan. You are done.

You can still add the in motion dome if you want but most people never use them when driving. Might want to rethink that.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I think your Panasonic 760 might have HDMI because the 2006 Panasonic I used to have in the AB does. I got rid of it. The Pioneer VSX 1130 has 5 or 6 HDMI inputs and 2 outputs. Much better for Chromecast and other inputs from more modern equipment.

I know that your cabinet might be to small for the Pioneer(don't know how yours is set up) but what I did was to take out the two screws in the front on either side and I lowered the shelf about an inch while leaving the back the same. The Pioneer fit perfectly. I also rid the bus of the coax distribution panel in the back and got rid of a bunch of old coax. After installing the coax amp, All tvs have instant OTA TV without pushing any buttons on the distribution box.

This is what I used.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-16-2017, 08:28 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Also take a look at this:

https://www.rvtechmag.com/showcase/62_entertainment.php
Old 03-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
I would concentrate on getting the house up to date first and then redoing the entertainment system. Plan on replacing all of the TVs to start. This may involve cabinet work if you have old tube TVs or earlier digital ones. Your coach may have component cabling (Red, Green, Blue + Red/White for audio). While you can use that for HD, best to retire it. While you are sprucing up the inside, remove the old refrigerator and replace it with a residential, a better inverter (suggest Magnum pure sine wave) and upgrade the battery bank to at least 4 house batteries, preferably 6.

Your dream for FTA channels is just that. Obsolete for a mobile situation. Dome antennas are fine for Dish (they can pick up HD) but not so good with DirecTV. They will work, but SD only. I suggest you get a Winegard Trav'ler for Dish or one for DirecTV. Then you can take advantage of the Dish Hopper (with wireless Joey for the rear TV) or the DirecTV Genie with wireless client for the rear TV. Either one of those will take care of your need for a DVR and gets your rear TV done without cables.

Xbox and BluRay are just boxes that plug into your TV HDMI ports. Easy peasy.

Internet is also easy - just pick your favorite cell provider and get a big data plan. You are done.

You can still add the in motion dome if you want but most people never use them when driving. Might want to rethink that.
Thanks for all the great input...all good stuff. I did some more research today regarding the in motion T4 dome and it turns out the dome needs to be able to see west coast satellites. So signals in the NE and far SE may be bad.
Too bad cause initially I liked that unit based on how they market it.
I like to have options and not penned in with one provider or the other.

Is the winegard rayzr worth the money for OTA channels? Supposedly it picks up UHF and VHF local broadcast channels

I do have some good news as there is already 4 house batts (I want 6 or 8) and 2 chassis batts and a 3 year old magnum 2800W pure sine inverter. So I do have something to work with

I guess I'll opt for the traveler with dish network as they seem to be the better of the two. At least with dish, you can pay a dormant fee of 5.00/mo when not in use and can activate online.

Internet: we have hughes net at home (no other options) it is unrealiable at best and customer service blows.
I was starting to research exceed but ran out of time.

Thanks again as I will followup with every bit of advice you folks give
Old 03-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdreamlv View Post
That's awesome. Thank you. Pretty much everything I'd like to have
Old 03-26-2017, 06:29 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
OK, I'm in the middle of designing my new A/V system and having a hard time finding a decent A/V source switch box (controller). I have a quest 53E, but it is quite a piece of crap. Since most inputs will be RG6 coax, I need coax in. There seems to be no good way of converting coax to hdmi (analog to digital).
Any ideas where I can find a coax in (5 port) and coax out (2port) A/V controller?

Thanks

Bill
Old 03-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
A coax switch box is an obsolete concept. There really isn't any need to use coax in the coach except to connect external antennas to (SAT and OTA) to receivers. Everything else can connect via HDMI. A HDMI splitter or switch box is a more viable way to connect things.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #13

I am pulling Ethernet cables between the front entertainment cabinet the the rear tv. I pulled a couple of HDMI cables from the Entertainment to where i pulled out the front tube tv cabinet. (also a couple of Ethernet cables there for an IP camera looking out front, and the second in case a drive cam can leverage one.) The TV i mounted behind the couch on a diy slide uses a MiBox wireless to connect to my DVR.

PS. You might want to add you coach info to your signature so that folks immediately know the context of your questions.

Tags
upgrade