RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #1

Enclosing Under Bed

My wife and I are almost full-timers in our 2017 Phaeton 40 AH. We have two cats that live with us. Our cats, like most, like to find hiding spots. Under our king-sized bed is a perfect example of such a spot. This is the area under the head end. There are numerous wires and cable under there. If a cat were to get under there it would be a chore to get it out and we would never operate the slide without having the cats out where they could be seen. I have posted several times to see if anyone had a solution for enclosing this area. I finally decided that I would have to find a solution myself. So here is what I did.

As we are on the road, I donít have access to things like a skill saw so I decided to work with cardboard. This has the advantage of requiring little more than a measuring tape, straight edge, and knife to form the barrier. It also allows for a solution produced in cardboard to be a template for later making the barriers with thin wood. To get sheets of cardboard large enough, I went to a local moving company and purchased several used cardboard wardrobes. The two cost $9.

I first cut a piece of cardboard 12" x 43" for the side of the bed that is to the rear of the coach. In the lower corner that is the closest to the head of the bed, I cut a piece out that is 6" high and 13.5" long. This is to accommodate a bundle of wires and cables running under the bed. For the side of the bed that is closest to the front of the coach, I cut a second piece of cardboard that is 12" X 41.5". On the lower corner that is closest to the head of the bed, I cut a piece that is 6" high and 13.5" long. I taped all of the edges of the cardboard with packing tape.

All around the bed we have mounted Canvas Shoe Pockets. If you go to Camping World you can see what this is better then I can describe it. The two pieces of cardboard go between the pockets and the side of the bed.

When I finally produce barriers from wood, I will anchor them to the non-moving part of the bed. For now it is simple to move them by hand whenever the bed slide is extended or retracted.

RVingGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Any chance you could take some pictures of your solution. I have what I think is a similar situation in our Monaco. There is even a small entrance to the hiding area you describe when the slide is out. I plug it with a 1 gal. water bottle that fits perfectly, but has to be removed before the slide retracts. At present we put the cat in her travel cage while we are moving slides. We also like your idea to use the shoe storage pockets along the bed sides if you could take a shot of how that works too. Not to worry if the picture thing is too much trouble, I'll figure it out eventually. fixer

FixerCQI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Great idea, just began the quest for a solution to keep our cat from under the bed. Thanks for the idea.
busdriver803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #4

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=34351

It is hard to get enough room for a picture. Here is the best I can do. The carpeted box in the picture does not move when the slide does. When the slide comes in (it is out in this picture), the space behind the cardboard "opens up." If the cardboard stays snug against the carpeted box, the opened up space stays behind the cardboard. And of course you can see the cardboard behind the shoe pockets. This is the forward edge of the bed but the other side is functionally the same.
RVingGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVingGuy View Post
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=34351

It is hard to get enough room for a picture. Here is the best I can do. The carpeted box in the picture does not move when the slide does. When the slide comes in (it is out in this picture), the space behind the cardboard "opens up." If the cardboard stays snug against the carpeted box, the opened up space stays behind the cardboard. And of course you can see the cardboard behind the shoe pockets. This is the forward edge of the bed but the other side is functionally the same.
OK got it. Thanks for taking the trouble to help. The cat says
FixerCQI is offline   Reply With Quote