Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2015, 12:01 AM   #1

Engine cover removal

I've got to take my coach in for a smog check and will need to remove the engine cover for the tech to check the engine configuration for compliance. My old class C engine cover had visible clips along the outer edge. I haven't really checked, but I don't readily see any clip or screws on this coach. Anyone know how to properly remove the cover? Your help is greatly appreciated.
PapaBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2015, 12:26 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Did you want to tell us what coach? Probably a Tiffin, maybe that one in your avatar?

I chased it down: Tiffin
RV Model
Allegro 35 TSA
RV Year
RV Length
Old 07-07-2015, 07:08 AM   #3
paz

PapaBobby, Nomad Mike tracked down what coach you have, but we still don't know what chassis it is on.

The 2005 Allegro Bay motorhome on a Workhorse chassis we used to have had 4 screws that held the engine cover in place. The heads of the screws were buried in the carpet that was glued to the cover. Your motorhome may also be on a FRED or a Ford chassis, which may have different doghouse configuration. However, the screws are still probably buried in the carpet somewhere.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:10 AM   #4

I apologize. It's a 2007 Allegro Open Road on W22 chassis (Work horsepower)
PapaBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:01 PM   #5
paz

Poke around in the carpet for the screw heads. There should be 4 of them, and they will be about 3/4 to 1" in from the sides. That's where they were on our 2005 Allegro bay on a Workhorse chassis, although later years may be different.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just found mine the other day on my new to me 2008 Allegro Bay 38tgb.
There are 4 screws as PAZ said, 2 are just below the cup rest in the carpet, and 2 are in the corners, ~ 1" from the side and 2" from the rear. A good strong magnet pushed around will help, and a #3 phillips was what I needed.
ITGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:50 PM   #7

wow, really appreciate this forum.
My 2013 allegro 26 la engine cover has four screws burried in the carpet and a lot of silicone sealent around perimeter for fume and air sealing.
I just purchased 2 yrds of the same couch vinyl to replace the rug glued onto the engine cover and was looking for answer on cover removal. My winter project.
I already replaced the forward carpeting with the same vinyl stick down as is present in the rest of the rig, which made the carpeted cover look shabbier.
Nadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:09 AM   #8

CAb Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadge View Post
wow, really appreciate this forum.
My 2013 allegro 26 la engine cover has four screws burried in the carpet and a lot of silicone sealent around perimeter for fume and air sealing.
I just purchased 2 yrds of the same couch vinyl to replace the rug glued onto the engine cover and was looking for answer on cover removal. My winter project.
I already replaced the forward carpeting with the same vinyl stick down as is present in the rest of the rig, which made the carpeted cover look shabbier.
Nadge- Can you post up some pics? I just got the tile to do the same thing to our 2013 32CA, and would love to see a peek at how the finished product will look. Are you doing the engine cover yourself?

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2015, 09:41 PM   #9

Front floor carpet replaced with stick down vinyl tiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabirdsall View Post
Nadge- Can you post up some pics? I just got the tile to do the same thing to our 2013 32CA, and would love to see a peek at how the finished product will look. Are you doing the engine cover yourself?

Thanks!
Yes I will do the cover myself. just received the 2 sq yrds of vinyl fabric.
I'm new to this forum and have taken some pics of carpet replacement but don't know how to attach photos here for you.

I'm not even sure of how to find this reply again. LOL

Give me a couple of days to figure it out.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:02 AM   #10

carpet change out to vinyl tile

Found out where to attach my photos but error message - files too large - threw me. Sent request to irv2 asking how to resolve.
Hang in there I have 6 pics to send you.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #11

carpet change out to vinyl tile

If I can't attach multiple photos here, you can request me to email you the photos.
Here are step by step photo changes made.

One picture shows 1/4" plywood installation was installed over the existing rubber cushion. This was done to insure the original sound proofing and floor insulation factor was maintained. This caused a higher floor elevation of the new install versus the existing tile at transition. I selected the neatest transition for this to architecturally occur, and included a small oak ogee shaped and stained transition trim to prevent edge of tile damage.

If necessary I will submit two separate messages to post attachments.

Hope this works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150726_104936.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	115911   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150725_102721.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	115912  

Name:	20150725_111618.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	115913   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150725_140253.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	115914  

Old 01-07-2016, 11:20 AM   #12

carpet change out to vinyl tile 2nd post

Here are the remainder of the progression photos.
Sorry photos are not in sequential order.
Now I know how to include photo attachments.

PS:
I have made several upgrades to my Allegro which are typically found on the more expensive rigs.
Here are the upgrades I installed.

Exterior 30" articulating arm TV and custom stereo radio install.

Refrigerator had the condensate water hose end discharge water just outside the exterior refrigerator access panel. I rerouted an extension to this hose behind the access panel floor, through basement and onto ground.

Two exterior 32" X 26" deep platform steps with handrail to provide a more stable step access for persons with stability issues.

a 6 foot slideout hot & cold water camper sink.

Glass tile kitchen sink backsplash.

Dishwasher under sink cabinet.

Both bathrooms embossed panel wall covering.

Rear facing grill lights operated from dash used for backing up and night rear end access lighting once parked.

My winter project will be to replace the engine carpet covering with the same vinyl fabric used on the couch.

Lastly, when the pullout couch is open, it is so close to the fireplace, anyone wishing to get from the back, past the couch, must climb over the persons in the bed. It also prevents access to the refrigerator for early riser coffee makers.
I will make a suitable furniture grade and appropriate height and length bench to butt up against the closed up couch and with custom made same vinyl cushions to serve as the bed extension for two person use. This will allow easy access past the in service sleeping accommodation and access to refrigerator.

That's it, I haven't seen any additional "must have" items to add, as yet>
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150725_111822.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	115915   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150725_140253.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	115916