RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2015, 11:34 AM   #1

Extended Warranty

We purchased a previously owned 2013 Allegro Bus 45LP. We are trying to get a feel about purchasing an Extended Warranty. The one we are looking at is $6,000 for 7 years and that is a lot of money. Of course things can go wrong that might make it worth it - Any thoughts.????? ps - my husband is VERY mechanically inclined and he has been able to work on our past Motor Home, but this is all electric!! Thanks

dcochran1167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2015, 11:43 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Extended warranties always bring out a lengthy discussion with those swearing they saved a lot of $$$ and those that have been ripped off.
I personally do not subscribe to extended warranties , let's face it, the insurance companies are offering them to make money....I have never used one and hopefully never will. I am pretty handy and fixed anything that needed repair on all our RVs...some folks do not have the tools or mechanical aptitude to do that. If its peace of mind you are looking for, go for it, just make sure it covers what you think it does, lots of small print. But then you can travel a lot of miles on that 6 grand

garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You are buying a Tiffin and they are the best at customer service even after there warranty ends.
I bought the extended plan and wish I never did, money thrown away.
I just put a small claim in and I can not believe how they are getting away without paying it, again pay the premium but they don't pay the claim.

Take the $6000 and put it on the side if you will ever need it.
jjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #4

3 points. 1 the statement " companies give out warranties to make money" ya we know but they make money from the ones who pay less then what they claim which is the majority so dont let that scare u off 2 warranties do give piece of mind that $ 6000 dollars cannot when faced with a $20, 000 repair. 3 most things on a 2013 are already covered for the first few years so $ 6000 would scare me off and im in favour of a good warranty.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #5

Check out WHOLESALE WARRANTIES on line . We have an 09 Bus purchased used at 2 yrs of use so out of warranty.
We are not big fans of extended warranty plans BUT we did purchase CORNERSTONE EW and so far the plan has covered our Norcold replacement to an RR, inverter, multiple MCD shade motors, MCD controller, patio awning and several other items. We are one of the ones ahead of the cost of our plan.

Some of the above I could have done , maybe most , but personally I want to use our coach not always work on repairs.

Tiffin covered after normal warranty, roof rails, wet bay floor and slideout floor.

These are more complex then our first 1978 motorhome or the 86, 96 or even 2000 that I could fix most everything that went wrong !

I like peace of mind .
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #6

I have always maintained an extended warranty. Even though I have "some" ability for repair, I previously did not have the time, and now I don't have the energy. To date the warranties have been beneficial as I have had basement a/c problem, major Norcold repair, HWH jack motor replacement, a GM transmission go out...all over the course of 30 years, (I'm not a bad luck magnet).
However, the newest extended warranty has a $500 deductible, previously they were $50 or $100 dollars. Big difference. Also, you MUST follow all the rules...must get prior authorization, and you cannot do any of the work yourself. No reimbursement for parts you install or correct.
If this works for you, then it is a good investment in peace of mind. If you like to tinker, and have the ability to work on the a/c or drive train. Then perhaps it will only get in the way.
JMHO, and Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
I have always maintained an extended warranty. Even though I have "some" ability for repair, I previously did not have the time, and now I don't have the energy........
JMHO, and Happy Trails.
I hear you. Sounds like we might have the same ideas, so to speak. We've always went for the extended warranty on all of our vehicles but never home warranties (home warranties are a big rip off, but I wont go there). I never had the time for my own repairs and now I just don't want to mess with repairs if they are ever needed. We've never had to use the extended warranties after the original warranty expired but its nice to know it should be covered. JMHO/Mikey
mikensallyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Never buy one for cash up front. Take a look at the Good Sam program, we pay them monthly. I am not happy with the way you have to scrap for every penny, there is a lot of fine print on what is covered, on a dishwasher failure that requires replacement, they denied payment for most of it so we did not do the job. We have been paid reasonably ( given the fine print) on major claims for Norcold, Hydro-hot, and Roof Air Conditioner failures and replacement. We are probably close to "break even" after 4.5 years in our Bus (2007 model). The bus was already enrolled when we bought it from a private owner so we kept the program. Would not have done so if not already enrolled as we were ripped off by extended warranty on an early big screen lcd TV bought in 2005. In the end you will pay, it's a choice between $120 a month or so, or a surprise for $10,000 (hydro-hot).

Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote