Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #1

Extended Warranty Agreements Anyone?

We are upgrading from a 2008 Forest River to a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Over the Road 36L this weekend. Of course, the finance manager is pushing the extended warranty agreement to us. We didn't have one with the Forest River, and I would like to hear opinions and experiences of forum members before we make our decision.

What do you all think? Are they worth it? If so, what companies are reputable? (Lazy Days is selling USA Travel Care)

Any help is greatly appreciated!
rxfiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2015, 02:41 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
For now I would decline since you already have a Tiffin factory warranty. You can always buy one after your factory warranty expires. If you find that the coach is trouble free, you might not feel the need for the added security of an extended warranty.

BTW - if you finance your coach, think about how much you'll actually be paying for that extended warranty....
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:31 PM   #3

Like any other insurance - good to have if you need it, but it's still just a gamble. One of our Good Sam members decided he didn't want to keep the insurance and then his generator went out. Dave
Old 11-10-2015, 03:43 PM   #4

We purchased an extended warranty for both of our 'previously" owned diesel MH's. For our first MH it was well worth the money. We had fuel issues and the warranty company covered everything but the deductible which eventually ran into a couple of thousand dollars until the root cause of the problem was found.

We just purchased another gently used DP and we elected to invest in the extended warranty due to the expense of the repairs. However that being said it is expensive...we never invested in them when we had gassers.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:28 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
We purchased an extended warranty for both of our 'previously" owned diesel MH's. For our first MH it was well worth the money. We had fuel issues and the warranty company covered everything but the deductible which eventually ran into a couple of thousand dollars until the root cause of the problem was found.

We just purchased another gently used DP and we elected to invest in the extended warranty due to the expense of the repairs. However that being said it is expensive...we never invested in them when we had gassers.
What company did you use for your extended warranty?
franktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Just my opinion, but don't buy a warranty until the end the first year. If you pay for a five year warranty when new, you are only getting four years of value because you are covered bumper to bumper. If you want a warranty, wait until the first year is up, then check with Wholesale Warranties, Good Sam and others for a policy. Look carefully at what is and is not covered in the policies and their requirements. I encountered a warranty company that required you do yearly maintenance on certain items at a certified dealer and send them the receipts or they would cancel the coverage.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:27 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The factory warranty on your appliances is anywhere from 1 to 4 years. You need an "exclusionary" service contract...NOT a "parts named" Dealer marks this up 40% over his cost. You don't have to pay this. Dicker down.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:06 AM   #8

Don't even think about buying the extended warranty thing right now. Even after the first year I would recommend you put the cash in a separate account at your bank and use it as needed for repairs later. Be your own insurer, it's a lot cheaper long run and if you don't need it what a treat after four or five years!
kayak70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:04 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Same as kayak70. I'm setting up my own slush fund. But I repair most stuff myself. Dealer wanted $19k then 14k then 9k on 5 year ext. warranty. (they are negotiable) If I never use it I'm ahead, If I have to, it's there. Bought new RV so I did not buy someone else's problems. 1st problem was rear camera out. If I had ext. war. I would have had to take it somewhere , go back to have it installed, wait at service, pay deductible, buy fuel. My cost, $10 USPS sending it to mfgr.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I need to dig into this as well. We were quoted a 5 year no exclusions warranty for less than $2K. Sounded too good to be true to me. I have heard the stories of how the warranty companies make it so difficult to get the repairs completed and just wonder if it is worth the hassle. I forget who this "Great Deal" was with but will post later to see if anyone has experience with them!!
Old 11-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Not worth it while you are under factory and chassis warranty. Run your coach for the year and see how it goes. You can review all the different policies and coverages over that time and buy later if you want the coverage. We have a Good Sam plan that was in force when we bought our Allegro Bus, then 4 yrs old. It has been pretty much a break even deal over the 4 years we have owned the bus, we had a major claim on the HydroHot unit; a Dometic reefer failure, and another for an air conditioner heat pump unit. Other issues did not hit the deductible. Claims are not easy, but eventually paid. We pay quarterly via direct bill on credit card. Our bus came with pretty good records, and I did not discover anything in the first 4 years that made the plan necessary.
Defer your decision and do not cloud up the purchase deal.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:24 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Forget it ! USA travel care is awful to deal with. I wasted my money.
They are very good at denying claims............
jjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:57 PM   #13

See no reason why you would need extended warrantee unless you are totally mechanically inept. Chassis already has 3 year bumper to bumper, 5 year powertrain coverage. All you would be covered for basically is the AC, water heater, furnace, fridge. My 2013 has required no repairs so far that would be covered by extended cash grab.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:01 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
OK, the extended warranty I was offered was with Star RV. The Diamond coverage only excluded normal wear items like tires, oil, and such. was quoted 4 years/55000 miles for $2030, 5 years/55000 miles for $2414, 6 years/55000 miles for $2918, and 7 years 70000 miles for $4014.

Does anyone have any experiences good or bad with this warranty company?