Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #1

Exterior access panel for rear furnace

My first time posting. Relatively new to RVing. I have a 2005 Allegro Bay with a rear furnace that will not ignite. I want to access the furnace compartment to clean and inspect but can't seem to get the panel off the bus. There are 4 screws with an additional 6 screws holding the exhaust cover in place. Removing the 4 screws does not allow me to remove the cover and removing the additional 6 has the same effect. Before I resort to a screwdriver or crowbar, is there a trick to removing that access panel that isn't obvious? Could the compressed rubber gasket just be holding it which would require me to "pry" the panel off? Remove all screws or just the 4 that look like they should be holding it in place?

Thanks for any help.

Tom
TEMetcalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Does it appear that the coach has been repainted, and there is paint holding it in place.....or can you see a clean crisp open seam where the cover would appear that it can come off (without chipping the paint)?
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
Does it appear that the coach has been repainted, and there is paint holding it in place.....or can you see a clean crisp open seam where the cover would appear that it can come off (without chipping the paint)?
Does not appear to be repainted, but I won't swear to it. I can see the gasket all around the access panel.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My guess is that its never been off and its stuck on the gasket...
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:01 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
My 09 has just the 4 screws after removing the vent cover screws. Then pull straight out. Nothing else. It is wise to have 2 people as the panel is heavy. The real challenge is putting it back on. Someone has to hold it while you try to screw the screws back in. Mine is nearly impossible to get back on right.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #6
paz

I took the outer furnace panel off the Tiffin motorhome we used to have because a bird had gotten into the air intake and was trying to build a nest. As I recall, there was sealant all around the furnace cover. I had to keep gently prying all around to get the cover to gradually release.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Tom;

If your exterior panel is the Suburban type with two vents on a raised cover approximately 10x18" in size like shown below, it will pull straight out. Once you have removed the four screws around the outside edge, then just wiggle it a little while you pull straight out. One of the vents has a tube attached to the back that slip fits into another tube inside the furnace. The tube is riveted onto the cover and can't be removed, but it will come out with a little finessing. Some of the furnaces have vents that are mounted in a large exterior panel like a compartment door, but the more common type have the smaller raised panel with four screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FurnaceCover.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	113198  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:21 AM   #8

To all who replied to this, thanks! GaryKK, your guess was probably correct and LT Dan, your response was spot on. I got the access panel off and back on again after inspection. The two "tubes" was the key. I expected the panel door to just lift off. Once I realized that there were tubes to manipulate with the lower being longer than the top, with the help of a pry bar and a handkerchief to protect the paint, the panel came off. Thanks again, for all responses.

Tags
ace, furnace, panel