Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2017, 01:01 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Rzani Send a message via AIM to Rzani Send a message via Yahoo to Rzani Send a message via Skype™ to Rzani
Extra/unused wires from rear bumper to dash?

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd post this question before I called Tiffin. I'm installing an Invisibrake system to our tow vehicle/MH. Unfortunately, I didn't see the long thread here about issues with that system before I spent the money and time installing it. The good news is I installed it myself so I spent the extra time and effort to make sure the connections are properly insulated and the whole thing is installed correctly.

So, I'm at the point where I need to wire the LED indicator from the rear of the MH all the way up to the front. In the instructions it says that some MH manufacturers run a couple of extra unused wires from the rear of the MH up to the front or dash area, and if so, I could use one of those instead of having to install a new wire.

Does anyone know if the Allegro Bus has extra unused wires that run from the rear/bumper area to the front/dash area? Thanks!!
Rzani is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Rzani Send a message via AIM to Rzani Send a message via Yahoo to Rzani Send a message via Skype™ to Rzani
I had to share this. So I called into Tiffin at around 2:15 to ask my question. I'm on hold for 15 minutes waiting for the next available service person and the clock turns to 2:30, which is 4:30 central standard time, which is when they close. While in the middle of holding, computer voice gets on the line, quoates their operating hours, tells me to call back during office hours and promptly hangs up on me!
Old 04-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #3

Don't know if you're already using it, but your 7 pin connector has a BRAKE line that Tiffin has run to the front for use of a trailer brake controller. I've used that line to install a 12V LED on the dash to tell when my toad brake is activated. In my 2008 Bus the under dash end of that line was terminated in a plug that Tiffin had used to power something else under the dash. The BRAKE line was in the plug, but not used for anything. On my 2013 Bus the BRAKE line was found behind the left hand kick panel at the driver's left foot. No plug on that one.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:49 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Don't know if you're already using it, but your 7 pin connector has a BRAKE line that Tiffin has run to the front for use of a trailer brake controller. I've used that line to install a 12V LED on the dash to tell when my toad brake is activated. In my 2008 Bus the under dash end of that line was terminated in a plug that Tiffin had used to power something else under the dash. The BRAKE line was in the plug, but not used for anything. On my 2013 Bus the BRAKE line was found behind the left hand kick panel at the driver's left foot. No plug on that one.
Okay great. This is exactly what I was hoping. No, I'm not using trailer brakes in that sense so that wire is available to me to use for my Invisibrake LED. So if I am understanding, it originates in the 7 pin plug and is the trailer brake wire location and then I can find the other end down behind the panel by driver's left foot (unless they changed something). How will I be able to tell it's the same wire? Is it color specific to make it easy?
Old 04-19-2017, 03:04 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
For anyone who may be looking for a thread about how to do this in the future...I needed to hook up the LED indicator wire/light from the toad to the dash of the MH.

On our 2017 Allegro Bus the electronic brake wire, which is blue, originates in the 7 pin connector at the rear bumper and ends up under the steering wheel on the floorboard to the left. It is bundled with a few other loose wires and Tiffin, being the wonderful company that they are, even put little identification tags on them so you can see what they are i.e. "elec brakes", "ground" and what not. I simply added the LED indicator wire to the 6 pin connector on our toad and then connected the LED indicator light to that wire under the steering wheel. Saved me from having to run a wire all the way from the back to the front and up through the firewall.

As for the rest of the install/calibration...it's done and it works perfect. Hopefully it stays working perfect!
Old 04-19-2017, 03:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzani View Post
Okay great. This is exactly what I was hoping. No, I'm not using trailer brakes in that sense so that wire is available to me to use for my Invisibrake LED. So if I am understanding, it originates in the 7 pin plug and is the trailer brake wire location and then I can find the other end down behind the panel by driver's left foot (unless they changed something). How will I be able to tell it's the same wire? Is it color specific to make it easy?
I assume your Bus is on a Powerglide chassis. If so, the wire should have a small sticky tab near the end saying something like "trailer brake". In addition, in mine the individual wires actually have printing on them saying what they are for. Of course you're all crunched up under the dash, holding the flashlight in one hand and trying to read the wire legend with a set of tri-focals that won't focus to where you need them to. I found the wires and labels on the bare chassis at Tiffin before the coach was built, but I needed a good 40 minutes when I finally started looking on the all up coach. They're there, but they hide good. Good luck.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:03 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
I assume your Bus is on a Powerglide chassis. If so, the wire should have a small sticky tab near the end saying something like "trailer brake". In addition, in mine the individual wires actually have printing on them saying what they are for. Of course you're all crunched up under the dash, holding the flashlight in one hand and trying to read the wire legend with a set of tri-focals that won't focus to where you need them to. I found the wires and labels on the bare chassis at Tiffin before the coach was built, but I needed a good 40 minutes when I finally started looking on the all up coach. They're there, but they hide good. Good luck.
Thanks for the help Pigman! I found the wires and the tags as you can see in my previous post. We were posting at the same time I think. Anyway, yes, I used that wire and it worked out great. Did a fairly big trip the last few days and it all worked great. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2017, 06:16 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tiffin Wiring

On the Tiffin plant tour they explain how they make and label all the wire bundles for each MH. Very complicated process. It is nice that they label each wire and its purpose. they do this because they use the same color wire for different applications. Be aware as wire color cannot always be counted on the solve the issue.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:32 AM   #9

I ran a lone wire from back to front.. not easy... started at back ran up frame rail around engine/. first bulkhead.. i then routed down and back up thru wet bay into basement... tied to chassis frame wire looms and thru front bulkhead. which i had already drilled it for new hdmi cable.. then around generator to front firewall and thru to dash LED.. took some time but it works.
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:26 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
I ran a lone wire from back to front.. not easy... started at back ran up frame rail around engine/. first bulkhead.. i then routed down and back up thru wet bay into basement... tied to chassis frame wire looms and thru front bulkhead. which i had already drilled it for new hdmi cable.. then around generator to front firewall and thru to dash LED.. took some time but it works.
Yikes! This is what I was hoping to avoid and thankfully I was able to do just that. Good work! Hey, at least you got a workout in!

Tags
dash