Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2014, 05:13 AM   #1
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Factory installed surge protection system on 2012 allegro 36la

Can anyone confirm if this is what's in their coach?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1401448404.456528.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	761.1 KB
ID:	64192

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2014, 05:26 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep, That's what is in my 2012 34TGA. 50 amp surge guard.

jjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:27 AM   #3
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks jjm! And it's this 40250 model?
Old 05-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
And you should also know that it provides minimal protection. I would recommend you also install a Progressive Industries HW50C or it's portable equivalent.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
And you should also know that it provides minimal protection. I would recommend you also install a Progressive Industries HW50C or it's portable equivalent.

Luvlabs, if it is the 40250, that is enough protection.. Did you read the specs on the 40250?

Still waiting for someone to chime in and tell me which model is factory installed in their Tiffin.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:09 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Tiffin installs the TRC 41260 model - hence the recommendation to add the Progressive Industries EMS system as well.

The 40260 has nice features at a tremendous price. $700 is a bit steep when compared to the 41260 + PI HW50C coming in at just over $500. With the almost certain fact that you will have to replace the transfer switch at some point and the PI system having a lifetime guarantee, the 40260 just doesn't make any sense.

This was discussed over at the tiffinrvnetwork.com some time ago.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:20 AM   #7
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks luvlabs.. I have to agree with you. Disappointing that would Tiffin bother adding this cost (41260 model) for something that doesn't address real needs.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to DavCor
Our Allegro RED 34 has gone through two (2) transfer switches in less than a year.
On the road in a Tiffin Allegro Red 34, with Blue Ox towing system. Reve, the cat, is Second Officer, who's duties are to lay quiet and do nothing. Donna, my bride, is the First Officer and Navigator . . . Dave drives.
DavCor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:03 AM   #9
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavCor View Post
Our Allegro RED 34 has gone through two (2) transfer switches in less than a year.

Davcor, are you using another surge/power protection system in front of the factory installed transfer switch?
Old 06-22-2014, 06:43 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
RKH,
No, just the manufacture installed unit. That said, I have thought of doing just that. What's your opinion on the subject?
On the road in a Tiffin Allegro Red 34, with Blue Ox towing system. Reve, the cat, is Second Officer, who's duties are to lay quiet and do nothing. Donna, my bride, is the First Officer and Navigator . . . Dave drives.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #11
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Davcor, you need to get additional protection for the incoming shore power. There are two brands I see discussed here more often.
Surge guard by TRC sold at camping world or amazon or etc., and Progressive EmS models. The both come in portable and hard wired options. There is even a replacement transfer switch that has more advance protection but that is very pricey I think.
I've been using Surge Guard for 4 years now and have never experienced damage from external power. It has detected low voltage situations numerous times. The surge/power protection you need must cover miswired power posts, high and low voltages, plus surges.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ge-guard/69523

This one is hard wired and was able to install it very easily. It can lay right next to the transfer switch and you don't have to worry about it being stolen.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:12 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
RKH,
We tried that before we lost our second Transfer Switch, and were told by the gent that replaced it at Dixie RV, in Hammond, LA that the failure could be cause by to having two surge protectors fighting each other. I find this hard to believe, but we chose to leave the Surge Guard off. The the inverter blew, and we were told that you should not have the inverter on when plugged into shore power. Again, this is counter to what I've read and understand. The manual states, DO NOT run engine while putting down or bring up the jacks. My jacks would not fully retract. Solution given by a Tiffin mech at Myers RV, Albuquerque, NM: run engine at high idle to get full 14.2 charging volts to the batteries. Tried it and it worked. So who knows what where and when. We had so many problems, mainly electrical, that we chose to trade for a 38QRA at Myers. Got 48 miles out of town when the power steer holding tank behind the radiator began leaking. We have driven back and forth to the Freightliner facility here in Albuquerque four times, put 400 miles on the new coach, and we are STILL here. New tank put on yesterday, after attempts made with tightening, and new seals, so we hope to get out of here today.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
DaveCor,

Boy, have you been getting some bad advice from people who should know better. If you haven't done so already, get yourself signed up on http://tiffinrvnetwork.com. This is the premier site for Tiffin owners who are more than happy to help you through your issues.

First off, put your surge protector back on. There is no such thing as surge protectors fighting each other. Baloney.

Second, turn the invertor back on. It powers your fridge (if you have a residential fridge) while you are driving down the road. When you are on shore power, it is automatically bypassed. (We have never turned ours off, BTW, and we live fulltime in our rig.)

I raise and lower my jacks with the engine running or plugged into shorepower. Yes, it takes a bit of power to run electric slides and hydraulic slides/jacks and it is a significant draw on the batteries.

Freightliner is a different problem altogether and I hope they get that fixed fast. For your Tiffin issues, I would call Don Boyd (warranty service) and ask him if there is someplace along your route that you can stop and get things checked out.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:59 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the good advice. We did get out of Albuquerque yesterday, now in Raton, NM. Today's challenge is the Raton Pass, which I just found out is six miles of climbing. Oh boy! Sure hope this 340 Cummins will push us up with out problems. The 38QRA is a pretty big coach for a 340. Some how I never thought of having to climb six miles, we just don't have that sort of thing on the East Coast.

Tags
install