Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2017, 05:40 PM   #1

First trip in our 2011 Breeze 28BR

Picked up a used 2011 Allegro Breeze 28BR in Orlando, Florida on 08/17. Drove it 2600 miles in 10 days, stopping off to see some old friends in Louisiana, Texas, and New Mexico. Home is in Prescott, Arizona.
Overall, got around 13 mpg at 55-60 MPH, based on tank fills. Computer showed 15 MPG.
Love the coach..... just what we were looking for.
Steering could be better. Will have a shop check the stabilizer and alignment next week. Coach weaves around a bit, and really feels a big rig passing at freeway speeds. Dash air conditioner could work better, but will have it charged and see if it makes any difference.
We are not new to RV'ing.... just new to short diesel pushers like this one. Last one was a 40' Monaco. Great coach but BIG. Did quite a bit of research before purchase, and the wife and I are pleased so far with the Breeze's performance and comfort.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2017, 09:32 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Congratulations on your recent Breeze purchase, and thanks for your report. It sounds like you're really enjoying it.

I owned a 2012 Breeze 28BR (purchased new) and put over 35,000 miles on it in less than 2 years, traveling all over the US and even up to the Canadian Rockies. Although I ended up trading it for a Phaeton to have more space while full-timing, I often miss the maneuverability of my Breeze.

As to the steering/handling issues you report, I found that by reducing the tire pressure (as recommended by Tiffin) to around 85psi, keeping my fresh water tank nearly full (also recommended by Tiffin to better balance the weight distribution) and the installation of a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer all contributed to settle it down. I also think that as I gained experience driving it (not over-correcting myself) it became easier to drive.

Hope some of these suggestions help you enjoy your new motorhome even more.
D Moffitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:18 AM   #3

Thank you for your comments, David.
The steering was manageable during the trip.....however it "feels" like there is a few degrees of slack somewhere in the steering system. This requires constant attention in order to keep the coach from weaving around.
How was your dash air? Can I expect it to blow cold?
I also haven't figured out how to get the Panasonic remote speakers to come on when the TV is in operation.
Safe Travels-
Mike
Old 08-29-2017, 10:41 AM   #4

Hello Mike,
We also recently purchased an Allegro 28BR, a 2015 and just drove 2300 miles to view the solar eclipse in Oregon. Despite the Kwikee step motor going out - which we expect to be covered by extended warrantee - the RV ran flawlessly and steers well, especially as compared to the RVs we rented over the past few years including another DP.

Steering:
I believe that many of the steering problems in the 2011 and 2012 were addressed in 2013 or 2014. If that is the case, perhaps you can implement some of the same mods. For example, in front of the generator our rig has a bank of heavy steel plates installed that must be for weight distribution and balance.

Speakers:
I, too, have not been get the rear speakers to work. The entire process of HDMI routing to the various TVs is a complete mystery to me.

Best of luck with your 28BR. I love the size on the outside and we are handling the small bedroom and limited basement storage just fine so far. How about you?
- David Manpearl
dmanpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:40 PM   #5

I spoke to Tiffin this AM about the steering, among other things. Here's what they had to say:
1. Surround sound speakers work only from the DVD player, not the TV.
2. House and chassis batteries should be maintained by plugging in shore power. I will test this with my meter and report results.
3. Two mystery red lights on the left side of the dash - the push button one is to reset the leveling system. The other, just left of the light switch, is for "jacks down". Odd, because these coaches are not fitted with jacks.
4. For optimum handling, they recommend:
  • 77-80 psi front tires, cold
  • 75-77 rear tires, cold
  • fresh water tank 50-70 gallons (full)
  • stabilizer set to pull to center (can be out of adjustment)
  • proper alignment (especially toe-in)
They also recommended I check the front I-beam axle. If it has raised boss saying "mexico", it should be replaced under warranty (at their shop only). Apparently there was a bad batch of axles in 2011. I will check this when I get the front aligned as I cannot see it very well.
The newer models have independent front suspension. The earlier versions have a straight axle and parallel leaf springs.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:02 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I could not tell from your subsequent postings whether your Breeze has a Safe-T-Plus. For me, it seemed to tighten the "slack" in the steering wheel you reported. I also remember hearing about defective front axles on the 2011 models before I purchased mine, so that might be a contributing factor. The other recommendations you received from Tiffin sound spot on to me.
Regarding the dash air, it was adequate during moderately warm weather. However, in hot weather (I live in Texas) I used to run the generator and roof air to keep it more comfortable while driving down the road.
Regarding the red warning light, I can't remember, as my current Phaeton does have jacks. However, after air-leveling the Breeze at a campsite, you would want to put it back in "travel mode" prior to departing-- perhaps that's what the light is for.
One final thought on handling: while I have no documented proof, it seemed to me that whenever I had my tow vehicle attached (a 2-door Jeep Wrangler), the Breeze's steering was less "twitchy." I unscientifically "theorized" that the Jeep was acting like a tail on a kite to help settle the relatively long overhang of the coach. (This is perhaps more perception than fact.)
D Moffitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:30 PM   #7

Ditto everything D Moffitt said. I have a 2011 Breeze 28BR, purchased new in 2011 and love it.
markulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:28 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
The Safe-T-Plus that D Moffit mentioned is the first step to stiffen up the stering.
You can't believe it is the same coach after it is installed
tjvogtiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:45 PM   #9

And Koni shocks all around.
markulmer is offline   Reply With Quote