RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #1

Flash my headlights

Just bought a 2009 Phaeton 42 QBH (new) and love every bit of it. But I do wish it had a means of flashing headlights as a courtesy. It has the ICC flash switch, but just a simple high/low beam on the turn signal/cruise lever. (Unless something isn't working or I've missed it.) I have always done this for truckers, RVers, and other long rigs, and appreciate it when I am ready to pull in from passing and get a clearance signal.

So, I am going to crawl through the wiring and install a paddle switch on the column with a relay override to high beams, but wanted to check and see if anyone else has done this or is aware of wiring available. I will check with Freightliner before I go into it, but wanted to toss the question out to those of you who might have already been through it.

Love this rig and the Tiffin group! What a fine piece of craftsmanship from a fine family!

--Rick

Higherground is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #2

My ICC Flash button on my Holiday Rambler flashes all of the lights.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #3

Including headlights?
Old 07-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #4

ICC should not flash headlights as it would cause complete darkness at night. You use the ICC to acknowledge someone else flashing you over and you use the high/low headlight option to flash someone in front of you over.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
i gots a '93 and i just push my "off" switch and then "on" switch to signal people back over, if you can't go .02 seconds of blackness then you don't need to be driving... hahahaha. flashing high beams is more dangerous because sometimes it looks like you are going over bumps in the highway. we've all wondered what that idiot behind me is flashing me for, just to find out it is a bad suspension on an old car bouncing around making it look like they are flashing you. if the driver of that long rig sees your lights on a bumpy road he may think you are clearing him and he may cross over and hit you by "miscommunication" thats why i always go for the complete dark to complete light, its unmistakable and easy to see, even if you're in his blind spot he will still know you flashed him properly.

Now if only i had a way of "thanking you" without using my emergency flashers........
ChrisNiemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:54 AM   #6

I towed a 39 ft fiver for years before I got the Phaeton. Every courteous truck driver (and RVer) who ever signaled me for clearance to pull back in flashed high beams on for a few seconds, then off. I've always done the same. Any distinct signal is understandable when you're looking for it. I looked at the control switchblock last night and it may be interchangeable for one with more complete control. I'll check with Freightliner and see what they might offer. I'll let you all know.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I drove a big truck for a number of years. Signaling a big truck with your high beams, either during the day or at night, smiply put is rude. Your light bounce off the mirrors and temporaly blinds the truck driver. One suggestion stated was to turn lights off than on. Believe me when I tell you the driver of the big rig will think more of you for doing this than blinding him/her.

Jack

Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote