Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #1

Flat Towing 2012 Honda Accord

I'd like to see if anyone on the Tiffin board is flat towing a Honda Accord (ours is a 2012). I know the "official" Honda word is don't tow it behind a motorhome. However, they do support a flat tow in emergencies as long as you follow their procedures. I'm not concerned about the warranty as our car is almost out of the extended warranty period. The transmission in the Accords that are 2012 and below are basically the same as the CRV which does support flat towing. These are NOT the newer CVT transmissions which I know you cannot flat tow.

Before anyone comments. We already own this 2012 Accord and really like it. We don't want to buy another toad car. Several companies sell flat towing packages for the Accord. I'm just interested in actual experiences with flat towing Accords. Thanks.
whciv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2018, 08:30 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I see Blue Ox makes a towing baseplate for them so somebody must be towing one.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:45 AM   #3

My 2011 CRV we tow. If it can be towed it will be in the owners manual how to do it. They started letting you tow them in the last couple of years again. They put it back in the manual. Look in your manual. I don't know if they are different than the CRV.

Just checked your owner manual and it just describes towing for emergencies. My manual actually tells you how to tow behind a motorhome. Very same instructions. Warm up car, run it through the gears, and then shut off engine. Leave key on first notch to have steering unlocked. You can tow for 8 hours 65 mph max. Your manual doesn't say that. Maybe they are different or that was the beginning of them not wanting to let you tow.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:33 AM   #4

whciv-

Here is a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts on the "Toads and MH Towing" forum with the terms "2012" and "Accord" in them. The search query is:

2012 "Accord" f85 site:irv2.com

This gives the same results as searching using the green "powered by Google" box that's under the banner on each iRV2 page.

Review of the search results will likely reveal some folks who are towing Accords. You can contact them via iRV2 private message. Instructions are here.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:26 PM   #5

We tow our 2012 Honda Accord 4 down, not a problem! Have Roadmaster base plates and tow bar. Previously towed our 2002 Honda Accord with no problems.
Mark
whodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:26 AM   #6

might be good to save up a few $$ to have tran re-built? Dave
Old 02-17-2018, 06:50 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have towed our 07 Accord 25k miles so far. Good to hear newer ones are towable also.
Bad news is tires seem to wear out much faster the miles show on car odometer...
Old 02-17-2018, 06:52 AM   #8

I flat tow a 2009 Honda Civic (Auto). Blue-Ox Tow Bar and Base Plate. RVi Brake set with RVi tow charger (battery). Use the procedures in the Honda Manual and all will be Ok. Honda recommends 30k mile transmission fluid change (cheap insurance)
Petersr58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:07 PM   #9

Thanks for all of the input.

Do flat tow miles show on a Honda Accord 2012? I cannot find if the odometer runs when in accessory mode for towing.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:03 AM   #10

Odometer does not rack up the miles
whodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dinghy Towing Guide

INFO: Please use diligent research before determining if a vehicle is towable or not. Good source is the Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing guide and the owners manual. Dinghy guide is available online.
I was reviewing customer reviews on blue ox base plates and one guy gave them 1 star because he had base plates installed on his car then found out it was not towable because he had all wheel drive instead of 4x4 drive. Just because they make base plates for CRVs or Accords doesn't mean every model can be towed. The guy is trying to get reimbursed for his cost. That is never going to happen.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithcoop View Post
INFO: Please use diligent research before determining if a vehicle is towable or not. Good source is the Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing guide and the owners manual. Dinghy guide is available online.
I was reviewing customer reviews on blue ox base plates and one guy gave them 1 star because he had base plates installed on his car then found out it was not towable because he had all wheel drive instead of 4x4 drive. Just because they make base plates for CRVs or Accords doesn't mean every model can be towed. The guy is trying to get reimbursed for his cost. That is never going to happen.
Thanks for the heads up. Honda does provide instructions in their manual for flat towing our 2012 Accord, so we know the transmission is able to be flat towed. We knew they took a "legal" step several years ago to limit their liability for transmission failures and stopped supporting flat towing behind motorhomes. Our vehicle is beyond its powertrain warranty anyhow so we know its on our head if anything happens. We wanted to hear from others that do actually tow their Accords just to get a feel for their experience.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoc View Post
We tow our 2012 Honda Accord 4 down, not a problem! Have Roadmaster base plates and tow bar. Previously towed our 2002 Honda Accord with no problems.
Mark
WHODOC,

What braking system to you use on your Honda Accord toad? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:51 PM   #14

So you are towing a Honda Accord 4 down without a problem? What steps must one take to accomplish pull fuses, neutral steering wheel lock unlock any of above or all. Thanks Larry
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda, tow, towing