RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #1

Flat Towing Question

Hi All,
I'm looking for input about tow bars and base plates. Blue Ox and RoadMaster seem to be the two most often used . Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance

LuckyBoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2016, 01:27 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBoy77 View Post
Hi All,
I'm looking for input about tow bars and base plates. Blue Ox and RoadMaster seem to be the two most often used . Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance
I'm on my second Blue Ox and am very pleased with the product and the customer service. We had our second hitch installed in Pender, NE at the factory. They were very courteous, gave us a full hook-up site. It was a great experience.

I've watched others struggle with their hitches, ours works every time very simply for hooking up or taking off the motorhome. My vote is for Blue Ox. One word of caution, at the factory, they put the base plate on in less than an hour. A dealer in Rapid City, SD wanted 6 hours labor at $99/hr to install the baseplate..(scam)......

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've used nothing but RoadMaster for years, still have my original Sterling Classic bar too.
I've seen several post on Blue Ox bars breaking too. There was one about a month ago on this forum. Seems the knuckle breaks off.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:38 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I run a Demco bar and Base plate. Works flawlessly and has for at least 5 years now. Just as easy to set up as the others. I worked for a company that used Roadmaster products, great bar also. I have no Blue Ox experience other than a friend that wore his out in 20,000 miles and it had to be rebuilt.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 03:14 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
2 years and 3000 miles on my Blue OX setup for my jeep wrangler and couldn't be happier.
TnThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBoy77 View Post
Hi All,
I have used Blueox baseplate and Aventa 10,000 Lb tow bar on two different vehicles along with the Blueox Patriot braking system.
The product works as advertised and I have no complaints. Like any other piece of towing equipment, it must be inspected and maintained to prevent a failure.
The thing I like about Blueox is that it is very simple to hook up and disconnect. I have had to unhook a couple of times in a full locked turn and did so with ease.
The connection is very inconspicuous when not in use.

Good product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0356.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	146272  
Old 12-08-2016, 04:25 PM   #7

11 years is towing with a Blue Ox Aventa tow bar. Attachment of the adapters to the base plate are a lot easier than the other baseplates I have seen.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:31 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Years with a Roadmaster, great product. Have had this tow bar for 15 years and 3 rigs. When I had it transferred to my new car the tech told me that in his opinion these were the best.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:53 PM   #9

Been using a Roadmaster for 15 years and still works like new.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:55 AM   #10

I'll also recommend Roadmaster. I've used a Sterling Allterrain since 2008 on our Jeep Liberty. I did have it serviced one time - svc tech replaced nylon washers and inspected unit.
allegro1x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:34 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't think you would go wrong with either one. I have been towing with my BlueOX Aventa for over 6 years with no issues. I have friends that have roadmasters and feel the same. If I remember correctly, I went with Blue Ox because it got a better price. Both are rock solid.
skeet4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
One more vote for Roadmaster. I have a Blackhawk II (10,000 lb) bar which has been very easy to connect & disconnect. I've been very impressed with the company service people who have helped me with different base plates & I've had quite a few. So far I've been able to install the base plates on each vehicle i've towed.
ahiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:31 PM   #13

Flat Towing Question

Thanks to all who posted a reply to my question. Sounds like either setup is solid. Thanks again and best wishes for the holidays
LuckyBoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have looked at Blue Ox, Roadmaster, Ready bruite (See note) and Democo among others, Near as I can tell all of 'em are well built. I've heard very few complaints that are NOT the result of operator errors and those seem to be spread about. I know Blue ox and Remoco have good customer service.. I have blue ox.. why, beacause that's what my dealer carried.. And frankly with one exception that is my recommendation, whatever the dealer you trust carries.. (The one I trust now carries 4 different brands).

The one exception: You really should have a aux braking system, Depending on your lifestly the Ready Brake looks very interesting, however in some cases I do not recommend it.. The Ready Brute optionally comes with teh Ready Brake (They make a version for blue ox too, and Blue Ox has a compting product)

Here is how to tell if it's for you ... IS your car (or do you have one) that is more than 5 years old? Does the Parking / emergency brake work properly is is the cable sized up. If siezed up Ready brake is not for you, Same kind of cable is used.

Tags
tow, towing