Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fog lamp Addition?

Curious if anyone has added fog or driving lamps to their Allegro gasser?
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2017, 06:46 PM   #2

Have fog lights on 32' Fleetwood Southwind, never use them
whodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:04 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
WHY? It's a MH stop and spend the night. JMO
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:39 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I was looking to, but never did it. Looking to add some additional back up light as well. I always get to the sites late, so more light will always help.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:21 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Curious if anyone has added fog or driving lamps to their Allegro gasser?
jt
We plan ahead and in 12 years of full timing, we've never turned the headlights on, once.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:03 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
If been looking for my 2017 32SA. The headlights are a far cry from the HID's in my VW. I have upgraded the low beams to LEDs and we'll see next trip how they work. I am hoping to find an LED strip fog or fogs to fit between the grill louvers. Lot of foggy days in Maine. I found an inexpensive 6" white LED strip and installed above and to the sides of rear license plate for hitch and rear light - hid the switch in the gas filler, power off parking light circuit.
ALinMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:43 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinMaine View Post
I have upgraded the low beams to LEDs and we'll see next trip how they work.
How do you like the LED headlights? which ones did you get? did you ever add fog lights?

I like to drive at night, less traffic, and the stock headlights in my '17 34PA are just short of awful.

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2018, 08:09 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
LE Disappointment - But...

Well the LEDs were great replacements, emphasis on were. After 50ish hours both died within 36 hours. As for failure, not sure if snow storm salt or Blue Beacon wash chemicals may have contributed. Electronics failed on first at 5AM departing campground about 10 minutes to find and replace using old bulb; second, pin/wire joint on LED-harness connector pin arc’d and nearly fused connector at 630PM Friday New Years weekend on Wash DC beltway. After about 10 minutes crawling to rest area and 30 minutes burning brain cells and choice words, old bulb was back in place and connected at 28 degrees. I ordered ceramic replacement connectors for Spring install. LEDs were replaced under warranty.

Bottom line - love the 12000 lumen LEDs vs stock bulbs - great visibility. I also replaced high beams; however, rarely could use them the entire trip. But when I did much better than stock bulbs. I will have a plastic shoe box “headlight” kit this year. I plan on splicinging some new waterproof connectors on headlight harness; carrying extra connector to ceramic jumpers for easy exchange; and set of original bulbs (H11 and 9005) (17-32SA) and extra LEDs because having visibility is that worth it. It was remarkedly easier driving 9PM-3AM on the I-95 NE cooridor as well as pretty much everywhere else with traffic. NASCAR has too many car drivers thinking they are racing vs commuting.

LEDs - High beams 9005

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Low beams H11

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I may buy the high beam mfr’s H11 as a back up set

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075J89RYP...6QSVCE0U&psc=1

The High Beam LED’s look higher quality; however, warranty was honored but took about 3 weeks to arrive.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:24 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Additional info and FOG update.

Superlube makes a synthetic grease for sealing connections I plan on using

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KU85W4G...KUS3924M&psc=0

Personally, I feel at the price point these motorhomes start at - the lighting connectors, old technology tungsten wire bulbs, are a sad comment on the Tiffin brand.

I would believe safety, and subsequent liability, would warrant a “current” technology, lighting systems.

P.S. I haven’t started the FOG project, yet - still shopping for a flush mountable, aimable, and probably circular unit. Not sure if one exists.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Motorhome headlights are adaptions from existing automotive headlights and, as long as they are aligned properly, work as advertised. I think the big difference is perception caused by sitting well above the headlights and their area of maximum illumination.

In a car, you are behind and very slightly above the beam. In a motorhome you are behind and well above the beam. Your perception is that the beam is not as bright even through it is exactly the same. I don't know a fix for this short of adding driving lights and blinding all oncoming traffic, but it would look bright to you.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Headlight Aiming

Has anyone tried aiming the headlights? We have a 2017 Phaeton and the headlights are basically mounted with some sheet metal brackets and self tapping screws. I don't like to drive a night as a rule but sometimes do and it seems that the factory lights are not very bright. When I turn on the fog lights I can see much better to drive so I normally use them at night. I was looking into upgrading the headlights with LEDs but maybe all I need to do is aim the ones I have correctly. From what I can tell it will be a bracket adjustment and not a traditional screw adjustment like a passenger vehicle.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

John
jgmontg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:09 PM   #12

You know, lights on Class 8 HD tractors (big rigs) are as high up off the pavement as lights on our MHs. So why don't MHs use big rig lights? They can be aimed down at the road just like on big rigs. What kind of lights do big rigs use??
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:11 PM   #13

These look a lot like the Lincoln Navigator lights in our Beaver......https://www.raneystruckparts.com/pet...xoC1_cQAvD_BwE
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinMaine View Post
Thanks for the info Al!

i’m going to try the brightest sylvania halogens first and am looking at the ridgid industries or KC fog lamps. i’m thinking eventually three pairs, front, back, and somewhere near the rear wheels for docking. but starting with the front.
Coynage is offline   Reply With Quote