RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #1

? for Phaeton owners

Noticed a nice 2008 42' Ph tag for sale but noticed it had a 360 hp engine. has this been proven efficient enough in power and torque or perhaps that might be one reason it is not moving in sale very quickly?

buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #2

Good question.
I used to have a 2008 Phaeton 40 footer with the 360 HP and it was adequate, but not over the top. With the extra weight n chassis it will be interesting to see what kind of responses you get...
The 600HP 45' I have now is "over the top!"
Jeff

La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck454 View Post
Noticed a nice 2008 42' Ph tag for sale but noticed it had a 360 hp engine. has this been proven efficient enough in power and torque or perhaps that might be one reason it is not moving in sale very quickly?
For information on the Phaeton check out the Tiffin RV Network site if you haven't already.

TiffinRVNetwork

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-Z-Boy View Post
Good question.
I used to have a 2008 Phaeton 40 footer with the 360 HP and it was adequate, but not over the top. With the extra weight n chassis it will be interesting to see what kind of responses you get...
Jeff
Jeff, just noticed that the 360 is also rear radiator. I'm thinking the combo might be a deal breaker. Maybe I am being picky, but don't want open door for disappointment in torque/HP, ease of maintenance, etc in regards to engine.
Bill
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:56 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by La-Z-Boy View Post
Good question.
Jeff
Talk about comparing apples to grapes. Geez!

If you're one of the "have to be first to the top of the hill" guys - pass it by.
If you're looking for a good coach at a reasonable price - go for it.

I've had my 350 all over the US with no complaints. Did I get passed sometimes? Yep. Did I pass a lot of trucks out west on the mountains? Yep.

Test drive it and see for yourself if it will do.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:13 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
We took delivery of our Phaeton 42 QBH earlier this year. Was advertised at 360 hp and I had concerns about its sufficiency. Turns out that when I got my hands on the Spartan literature, it was actually 380 hp. This was confirmed by the local Cummins dealer. The Spartan literature for the 2011 model year says the chassis was equipped with the 380 hp. I can't explain why there would have been a difference. Anyway, I'd suggest you check to make sure which size engine is on board.

2013 Entegra Cornerstone 45K
2012 Cadillac SRX and 2014 H-D FLHTK
P&GD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
I have the 2013 Phaeton with the cummins 380 hp. I have never had a previous motorhome to compare to but I have driven fire trucks and some semi truck driving experience in my pre-retirement years. I find the 380 hp is more than adequate unless as someone has said you want to race then go for a larger hp engine. The 380 will pull you down the road and climb hills with little difficulty if you anticipate the hill and manually gear down to a lower gear. Hope this is helpful.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck454
Hey Buck......you really need to get the "weight" on this unit...estimate how much you will add to it in "stuff" and the weight of your tow vehicle .....in other words your GCWR. People can post to you all day long about how adequate their 360hp ISC is, but if they are pushing #30,000lbs and this rig is #45,000lbs......their input is meaningless.

Our GVWR ( with toad) is #30,000 fully loaded for FT living and we have a 350hp/ 1050 torque -ISC. This combination is more than adequate. We came into Moab yesterday from Salt Lake on the I70 over some passes in the 8000ft range and 6-7% grade, and "on cruise" went from bottom to top at a steady 65mph. These were long steady grades and while the ISC's exhaust brake held us reasonably well on the downhills., I sure wish this engine had a proper 2 stage engine brake!!!

However, this information is pretty much useless to you in relation to a 42' tag. In my opinion, 360hp is nowhere near enough power for this rig. I would expect this unit, with toad, will run at least #45,000lbs and to have the same power/weight ratio we are running you'd need a 500hp ISM......and for this kind of weight, I wouldn't even ride as a passenger without a proper J brake! Power & braking are, in my opinion, issues of safety and an underpowered engine pushing an overpowered braking system is an unsafe vehicle.

As a rough "rule of thumb" take your GCWR and divide by 100... This will give you the required HP. (#45,000 / 100 = 450hp)
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the 380 hp ISC and its fine with us! I'm running about 35,000 and no problems. Of course you have to understand that we are retired and are in no hurry!

The coach we had before had the 275 hp ISB and had no problems with it either. I guess it just depends on how fast you need to get somewhere or how late you start!

burfurd
Old 10-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm not a Phaeton owner, but I would like to be....and am a current Tiffin owner, does this count?

My wife and I were getting propane the other day at a dealer in New Braunfels and there was this sweet 42' tag Phaeton for about $150/160k...super nice, late model, decked out...the salesman stated that it is a beautiful coach and in great shape, but was just sitting because it was underpowered with a 350hp diesel...I was thinking, even at 350hp, it would be better/more horses than my gasser and REALLY how bad could it be...aren't the tires only rated for 74mph and do we really need to go faster than 68/70 in one of these things? I guess if I was living/driving in the mountains all day long, it would matter some...but for the normal 1000/2000 mile a year recreational rv'r, wouldn't it be just fine...I think so? Might be a good second coach option for us...we think we probably have two more to go.
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #11

engine power

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck454 View Post
I have a 2010 Phaeton 40 foot and it has a cummins 360 . I also haul an enclosed trailer of 30 feet. I have no problems what so ever as far as power.
harleylip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are looking for a race car, you don't need to be looking at a motor home! Instead purchase a Ferrari or some other high performance vehicle.

The 360 has plenty of power for whatever you want (except racing). as for me, I'm retired and in NO hurry!

burfurd
Old 10-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just remember folks, the bigger the ponies, the more hay they eat.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #14

We own a 2008 40' Phaeton (currently in the classifieds) and have never found a mountain we could not climb hauling our RZR and Jeep. Using your transmission to it's fullest is the key advantage, the cummins 360 has no problems. We summer in Colorado and regularly pull Wolf Creek Pass and Slumgullion.... We pass trucks, trailers and some Motorhomes who put the pedal to the metal and haul butt....and burn diesel fuel. We have never felt under powered.... but, we have been pulling "something" for years... and expect to actually "drive" the coach... I would be more concerned on Tiffin "recall items" than the Cummins 360... These Phaetons are great coaches and so much bang for your buck. We are approaching 70 and plan to make this next coach our last Tiffin..... only because it will outlast us.....LOL