RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2014, 05:56 AM   #1

Freightliner vs Power Glide Chassis in 2014

Good Morning Everyone,

Thank you in advance of your comments! It seems for sure that we will be getting a Tiffin and we're down to a couple of different models. The Phaeton 40AH seems to have perfect floor plan for us which includes the Freightliner Chassis but the Allegro Bus 37AP with the Powerglide Chassis is also very close and would have to be considered our top two picks. I would imagine that many of us find ourselves in a similar thought process when we get to this point, they both seem like awesome rigs. Doing it right the 3rd time, seems important!
Any comments one way or the other on the Chassis? How in important to you find the side engine ventilation as it applies to engine performance?
We're not really in favor of an all electric coach which is to say a propane stove top seems important to us for a variety of reasons. This seems the way the Allegro Bus is going.
We intend to install a sizable solar system, maybe 1000 watts total will handle all electrical needs including the refeers! Have any of you done this? When boondocking in Hot Weather we would just run the generator.

Thank you all, very much

Jeff and Lynn

Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2014, 07:06 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Jeff,
Most, if not all of your questions have been discussed at length on the Tiffin RV forum,,http://www.tiffinrvnetwork.com.
I don't mean to imply there aren't folks here that can answer these questions, but just that you will find this information and more on that forum. I am also making a list of similar questions for my decision making process of deciding between a Bus 37AP and a Phaeton 36, next year hopefully.
Good luck on your decision.
Tim,,,

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:12 AM   #3

Hey Tim,

Thanks for that! I really have enjoyed the process but not as much as I will be enjoying the rig after it is purchased!
Good luck to you

Jeff
Old 08-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jeff,
I, too, am coming to that crossroad very soon. Keep us informed. The talk is that the side radiator stays cleaner from roadway debris, easier serviced, more reliable drive mechanism, and frees-up room to access the engine..[overall, a preferable setup to the rear mounted].

DW & I, too, are of the "gas stove" culture; but realize that electric is doable for day-to-day meals, convection when we need it, Charcoal grill when we have a taste and dining-out for those special times. Electric is OK with us.

The solar array proposal comes just as Ive finished reading an interesting cost-vs-return discussion on the TVRN forum:
A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Login

May I suggest you research:
A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Login

Both of these discussion threads deal with photovoltaic systems. You can do a "search" of the forum past postings for more; unless you've already decided to throw a few $K into photovoltaic regardless. That's a lot of roof walking surface real estate IMHO that I would like to keep clear for my access and servicing what apparatus I already have up there. Your concern/ needs might counter-weigh what I consider a great battery array would provide in your boon-docking scenario.

Enjoy the process as you rationalize your needs and wants. Come back and give us an update of how it goes.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #5

We went from a freight liner (42qd Winnebago) to the poweglide (45lp) the powerglide (with the valid air leveling) feels a lot more under controle than the freight liner espetially on curves( Less lean) I will not buy another coach without air leveling. Another factor there will be no fingerpointing with powerglide it is all tiffin.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:48 AM   #6

Thank you for your post! We're getting very close to a decision on which one to buy. The solar issue for us is a more a matter of freedom and self reliance than cost. That being said, many times we stay in campgrounds, pay the fees and need a bit of air conditioning. We have had this discussion many times and each time we reconcile, it was worth the expense and never mind the payback. The points you are suggesting are important though.
Thanks,

Jeff
Old 08-22-2014, 04:50 AM   #7

Hey Tom,

The point syou make about the side radiator are one of the things I was interested in and Thanks you
Jeff

Tags
chassis, freightliner, power