Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2019, 07:07 AM   #1

Freightliner vs Powerglide chassis

I am in the process of purchasing a Tiffin Rv and I am looking at both the AH and IH and see that they both have different chassis. Will be traveling around the country. What is the difference between the two and which would you purchase if all other things as floor plan would be equal. Why and why not? Is there anything that is a must to have and something that is not needed when putting together options? I know this last question is personal but ideas are always welcome! CAN'T WAIT to order and hit the road. Parttime to start than fulltime down the road.
jcmptn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2019, 07:22 AM   #2

Welcome to the forums, searching will give you some perspective as this is a topic from time to time.

One of those choices has a continent wide network of service facilities and the backing of a global heavy vehicle manufacturer.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:57 AM   #3

Freightliner makes a fine chassis but the chassis that Tiffin specifies is not equivalent to the Powerglide. If Tiffin used more closely matched Freightliner than the issue is over, but between the two that Tiffin puts under the Phaeton the Powerglide is superior. That said, floorplan is what you live with everyday and if the floorplan doesn't work for you the chassis really doesn't matter.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:51 PM   #4

Well, I just purchased a 2019 40 IH with the 450PH Chassis. Still waiting for some things to be finished up before taking delivery next week. While shopping I also drove a 2016 QBH with the 380 and Freightliner chassis for comparison. Putting aside the different power output, the ride quality of both was comparable but the turning radius of the Powerglide was superior. I drove into a dead-end business park parking lot by mistake and was able to turn the coach almost within it’s own radius! Between that and the more powerful engine made it an easy choice for me.

Your options really are up to your preferences. For me a dishwasher and heated floors topped my list. I also preferred an all electric coach, in motion tv dish, washer & dryer... When shopping I saw a lot of the same options on the lots. Of course if you plan on special ordering your coach, !
Old 03-17-2019, 01:51 PM   #5

We have been very pleased with the powerglide chassis. I agree with wjohnson913 that the floorplan is more important.

For us the Aquahot is a must have, one of our favorite features.
superiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:36 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Because floor plan is so important we are staying put in our RED 37PA. Once Tiffin puts the Phaeton 40AH on the powerglide we will jump on it. We are not willing to give up the floorplan.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:20 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
We have had two comparable size Tiffin coaches, one on a Freightliner and the current one on a Power Glide. I think the ride is more stable and smoother on the Power Glide with the IFS. To me it has been much more comfortable to drive in the wind that the FL. The turning radius has already been mentioned and that is a definite plus. The other benefit is the added 7" of height in the storage bays, but the down side of that is the coach is 5" taller overall.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:43 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I too have owned both chassis and there is no question in my mind the ride, handling, and maneuverability of the Powerglide surpasses the Freightliner. I do agree the floorplan is important, but I have to drive the thing and I feel comfortable and safe going down the road all the time. Can't say that about our last rig.
skeet4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:31 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
When inquiring at the factory of the differences between PG and FL chassis on our bus. Was told the engine is 4 inches lower in frame than the FL chassis. Which is a plus for handling, but ground clearance is lower as well. At ride height there is 8 inches of clearance on crossover exhaust pipe. Which is lower then oil pan. I don't dare run over a "tire gator"...ever.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:48 PM   #10

I own a 2016 Allegro Red and can’t wait to sell it and get as far away from the Freightliner chassis! I was experiencing a low fuel error when I knew I had plenty of diesel in the tank. I took it to Freightliner in TX and they kept it 9 weeks to change the fuel sensor. When I went to my storage unit a couple months later to exercise the Cummins and the generator I found my generator wouldn’t run. I took it local this time to a diesel mechanic that works on RV’s. The error code was low fuel to generator. The diesel tank had 75 gallons inside. He had to pull the diesel tank (Freightliner had done this when changing sensor) he found all the bolts holding the tank up were only finger tight. The fuel line from the generator to the diesel tank was overtightened and had pinched the fuel line. He found two other hoses, one going to my dash air conditioner coil not hooked back up either. I’m so disappointed with the lack of quality from Freightliner that I will never go back again. Had my full fuel tank fallen off going down the road it would have been disastrous. I will be shopping soon for a coach with a Spartan chassis.
GoRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, freightliner, power