RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Front Step Issue-Help!

Help...we are in Corning, CA (northern CA) headed for Couer D'Alene, ID. When we pulled in this evening our steps made a terrible racket when they retracted. It seems the small gear that turns to retract the step, keeps turning after the steps are retracted and grind against the retraction mechanism for a few seconds before stopping. Two questions: 1. Does anyone know if this is a simple adjustment? And if so, how to fix? 2. Anyone have suggestions on a good repair facility between here and Couer D'Alene. We're scheduled to start a 59 day Alaska trip next week on June 10th. So this is somewhat urgent. Many thanks for any advice.

We have a 2011 Tiffin Phaeton.

Grower15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #2

i think if i were you i would head to Camping World in Anderson California. 3700 Auto Mall Drive Anderson California
google search shows 40 miles from you.
i would not take the chance of not getting it repaired ASAP as the steps could get stuck extended if all heck breaks loose in that gear...gears...etc

tiffin43qrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:48 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pull the "Step" fuse in the front DS compartment and remove the pin from the step mechanism connecting arm, then "tie" the step in, until you can get it fixed. Sounds like a controller/motor kit. Not cheap for what it is. We are on our third one on our 2006 Phaeton purchased in December of '05. There are plenty of discussions of using a power window motor to repair, however, it was not been when I had access to proper tools, when they failed. $30 vs $300 is the cost of fulltiming for us in this repair.
Teacher's Pet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:05 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to phredsee
If you're somewhat handy and have some basic tools onboard, you can call Tiffin parts dept., tell them the series step you have and they will ship out air overnight to your location. Order the gear box/motor assembly combination which should work. If it's the Kwikee step, usually has (4) nuts to remove, disconnect the linkage to the step and replace the unit. Fairly simple fix.
Hope this helps. Oh an make sure power is off and keep fingers away from any moving parts!

Fred

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2013 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
2009 Honda CRV
Old 06-07-2014, 04:25 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Normally this will fix it ACI Window Lift Motor 83694: Buy the right Window Lift Motor at Advance Auto Parts

Available at any National Brand auto store, take your old motor with you.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:06 AM   #6

I have friends on that Alaska caravan. It sounds amazing.
If you see a tan Safari with a big mural on the back, say hi to Bob and Mary Stiendger. Tell them Ed and Rony say Hi. By the way, bobs a mechanic.
Good luck with your step and your trip.
Dramatic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for everyone's advice. I called Tiffin Service Dept and spoke with Jonathan who knew steps inside and out. He walked me through the process to adjust the arm connecting the steps to the motor and I was able to get the steps operational. If anyone wants to know, let me know and I'll give you the process. It's fairly straight forward using a few wrenches. We bought an aluminum step to use as a backup incase the steps go out during our Alaska trip. We'll eventually replace the steps, hopefully with a set more sturdy. Thanks again for everyone's advice. Also, I'll say hi to Bob & Mary. We should meet them on Tuesday.
Grower15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-man View Post
Thanks for everyone's advice. I called Tiffin Service Dept and spoke with Jonathan who knew steps inside and out. He walked me through the process to adjust the arm connecting the steps to the motor and I was able to get the steps operational. If anyone wants to know, let me know and I'll give you the process. It's fairly straight forward using a few wrenches. We bought an aluminum step to use as a backup incase the steps go out during our Alaska trip. We'll eventually replace the steps, hopefully with a set more sturdy. Thanks again for everyone's advice. Also, I'll say hi to Bob & Mary. We should meet them on Tuesday.
I'd like to know the fix.
Wally
wgfarrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On almost every trip we take a problem crops up. In fact I get nervous if nothing goes wrong.

So perhaps this was your trip problem and nothing else will go wrong.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:08 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgfarrah View Post
I'd like to know the fix.
Wally
X2
Yes, please post it. That type of info is something people will bookmark for future reference. Step problems come up every week on here.