Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: Mt. Olive Shores North......RV community ( winter )
Front TV removal......help !

I have a 2006 Phaeton.....Im trying to remove the front TV ....for an upgrade. I called Tiffin tech dept today for advice.......and they told me to open both cabinets on either side of the TV box....and I'll find 2-3 screws. Remove the screws and the TV will slide out like a draw.....its in a sleeve.

OK....I remove the 2 screws in both cabinets...........and the " draw " and frame slide out about 2".....then stop. I tried to pry it.....shake it.....pull it........its stuck. Im trying to avoid any damage to the vinyl ceiling material...... What am I missing ???

The TV in the bedroom was a piece of cake........

Thanks
don-deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
paz

You're pulling out just the frame first and not the frame and the TV together, right? Once you get the screws out, the frame should come straight out. The "wings" on the frame slide back between the TV and the box. If the frame moves 2", then the only thing holding it should be friction.

After you get the frame out, there are a couple of wood blocks screwed into place that hold the TV. After removing the blocks, lift out the TV. Be careful - it weighs almost 70 lbs.

HERE is a link to our blog post where I replaced the front TV on our '05 Allegro Bay. The front box should be similar to your '06 Phaeton. I wish I had more pics of removing the old TV because the question comes up frequently.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thats correct.......I removed the 2 screws in each of the adjacent cabinets.......and started to slide out just the frame...........and it gets stuck about 2-3 inches out. Its very tight on the top where the frame meets the ceiling vinyl.....and Im afraid that I may tear it.....if I force it.
I did noticed the 2 wings on the sides that are attached to the oak frame around the TV......I just don't understand whats holding it in place !!!

You did an excellent job on your TV install.................looks great.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Paz....thanks.....your advice was on the money. I got the frame off this morning....and got the blocks out..... and now Im waiting for a buddy to help me lift out the old TV.

I like your ideas on how to mount the new flat screen......I may duplicate it.........

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by don-deb View Post
Paz....thanks.....your advice was on the money. I got the frame off this morning....and got the blocks out..... and now Im waiting for a buddy to help me lift out the old TV.

I like your ideas on how to mount the new flat screen......I may duplicate it.........

Thanks.
Glad to be of assistance. It's always hard when you're doing something for the first time. You never know whether to use a little more force or if too much pressure will break something.

I would have liked to have recessed the TV; but if I had done that, the biggest TV that would have fit would have been 26". By surface mounting the TV, I could go with 32". Size does matter when it comes to TVs.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's the finished product..........32" LCD up front.....and a 26" LCD in the bedroom.........with a Blu-ray DVD player in the cabinet.....