RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #1

Unhappy Frustrated RVer

Hi everyone. Sounds like you all are having some good times with your coaches. This is my first time on this forum and I am looking for feedback on what you would do if you had my new coach.
In November 2011 I ordered a new coach and picked it up in Feb 2012. So far I have NOT been able to use the coach, because I have had it at a dealership or a Ford dealership trying to get some work done on it so it will run. It has been almost a year since I picked it up and nothing is getting done on it. Everyone wants to pass the buck and Ford will not even contact me.
When I picked up my coach, it had 2,300 miles after being delivered to Milwaukie, Oregon. It now has 4,966 miles after driving it back and forth to different Ford dealerships who say they can’t find anything wrong with it. My home where I store it is on the Washington coast about 150 miles from Portland, Oregon.
The coach loses power sometimes coming from a stop, going around a corner, or trying to climb a hill. The RPM will drop to 1 to 1.5 RPMs with no power. I have to pump the throttle to get it to respond with some kind of power. It is very unsafe to drive, when it acts up. Sometimes I can drive it 300 to 400 miles and it won’t act up. One time I drove it 50 miles from Portland and it failed 45 times. I AM BECOMING VERY FRUSTRATED WITH THIS COACH. I purchased a new coach instead of a used one so I wouldn’t have problems. I have owned 3 other coaches before, but not with the problems of this one.
Has anyone had this problem with their coach? If so, what did you do fix it??????

jkcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had an intermittent check engine light and decided to buy a UltraGauge OBDii reader.

I leave the reader connected all the time and the source of my problem proved to be an oxygen sensor.

Perhaps doing something along the line of adding a OBDii reader may lead to finding the source of your problem.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm afraid if I were you I would have long since been looking for a lawyer that knew the "Lemon Law" I would not have let it get this far.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #4

I wander if they have replaced the throttle position sensor. Sounds like it could be with the systems you have. May not even show up on the codes. We have had trucks limp along like that, changed the sensor and they run like new. And they can be very intermittent, like yours is. And not very costly, although that doesn't matter as yours is under warranty. This is a ford problem, probably not the coach. I have the same drivetrain and it hasn't missed a lick in 5 thousand miles since August. Good luck and happy new year.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Welcome to 1rv2.com.

You might try changing the fuel fillter, I had a problem a while back where it slowed down and would not go any faster then about 10 miles an hour.
But after I change the fuel fillter it worked fine.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #6

What brand is this coach? It's time they fix it are give you a new one.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
WA Lemon Law covers the chassis only for safety related issues but there could be other special conditions. Sounds like yours fits the bill. Also, if you have to transport the rig over 100 miles for warranty repairs the manufacturer is responsible for ALL costs (this is for all vehicles, not just MH's). We had to take our MH to the Spartan factory, then Newmar factory and Newmar wrote me a check for the fuel costs both ways. This may have changed now as this was back in 2003 or so.

Here's the LINK to the Motor Vehicle brochure.

Here's the LINK to the Motor Vehicle general Lemon Laws

Here's the LINK to the Motorhome specific brochure
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
jkcole
A problem of this magnitude should be setting a code and if not, why haven't they installed a reader to record full time and show the events? If you have a legitimate complaint, it is time to call the phone numbers in your owners manual and take the complaint to the top at Ford and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Dwight
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had this exact issue with my coach. First time I noticed it was in Florida and I thought I had bad fuel. Replaced fuel filter, add the additive, and for some reason it cleared after 50 miles. Drove it another 900 miles and was almost home and it acted up again.

Took it to Cummins in Fort Worth, and they found Throttle position errors, and replaced the sensor. A few weeks later I was driving close to home with it and again "limp mode" causing the check engine alarms to sound and no power.

Back to Cummins in Fort Worth, again another Throttle position sensor. I questioned the reason for the sensor to be replaced twice so close together, and basically got a shrug.

Later that month we left for Washington State, and it was fine until I hit Utah..same thing. This time it was in the hills and it was very scarry. Stopped at a Freightliner in Utah, but was told it would be 3-4 days wait. I left there and headed towards Portland. Stopped at Cummins there, and they got me right in. They spent 11 hours working on it, and found a pinched wire in the wiring harness from engine to the computer.

A simple splice and problem was resolved. Since then I have done 7500+ miles without a problem.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #10

JK-
NHTSA will only interest themselves in the issue if the following 3 criteria are present:
a) Issue can be shown to be a safety problem. In your case that is arguable, but in arguable cases govt usually sides w/consumers, so assume this is met.
b) Issue can be traced to an active financially responsible party. Ford meets the criteria, however Ford may argue its the coach mfgr & this could spin off into its own argument. Defunct vehicle mfgr's have vehicles on the road w/recall type issues, but if no outfit to attend to the recall there is no point in issuing one. Assume they'd tag Ford. And
c) Issue is shown to be systematic, not just a one-off warranty complaint. You can file a complaint on anything, but it goes nowhere till they have a stack of them from a bunch of safety challenged motorhomers. Not sure if you 'd clear this hurtle.

That said, recording meter should be installed ASAP, should pick up "freeze frame" data that may be erased if problem clears.

Also, you need to be contacting Ford & escalating this. They will blow you off otherwise, sad to say.

With Ford corporate, I'm given to believe that a lot has to do w/the servicing dealer & how they document the problem; read a detailed thread where the initial diagnosis on a diesel pickup (which eventually went into the 10's of thousands in repair on an essentially new rig) was put down by a gas mechanic who admitted to not knowing much about diesels, and the owner had a helluva time getting Ford to own up to the problem. Its critical that the Ford troubleshooting path is followed to the letter, and by somebody who has deep experience w/the type of chassis. Troubleshooting sometimes calls for judgement to be used in describing things (e.g. in the diesel incident, the original mechanic described a part as having evidence of water damage which was later disproved by a proper diesel guy who knew what he was looking at). Pays to find out the mechanic's credentials on the chassis in question, & find another shop who has the correct background for your rig. That may be at a Ford truck shop, likely one in Portland, rather than just a Ford car lot. We have a Ford truck service lot in Sacramento, that's how I know there is a difference; they are set up for big rigs & work on them exclusively.
Hope this helps.

BTW, Welcome to iRV2!! You will find a lot of help here.
IIWMI'd do 2 things here:
1) start another thread on the iRV2 Ford Chassis forum, list issues w/as much specificity as possible & see what advice you get. And
2) add a "signature" to your profile to list your coach/chassis specifics (see my signature below for an example). this tells the iRV2 community a lot about what you drive, as folks w/the same rig/year/etc. have many of the same features and may have had similar experiences to share including cures. go to "User CP" or Control Panel, in the bar above this thread to amend your profile as needed.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:31 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK so much for all the technical hub bub....Laugh if you will BUT:
I had the exact same issue with my coach...would loose power after slowing down or hitting the brake and re-accelerating.
I went nuts trying to figure out what was wrong...took it to Ford; they checked it out said all was well...started to drive it home; damn!
Same issue...on the freeway had to hit the brakes because of traffic and the re-accelerate....Well; OP: Your issue might not be this simple...but there's a good chance it is. I call it Code 13 triple E. (In honor of my big feet)
When I re-accelerated my foot was hitting the brake and the gas at the same time which caused the engine to "cut out"/ loose power...Made myself cognizant of the issue and watched carefully each time there after....
My problem is gone.
Hope it's that simple for you.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodburner View Post
OK so much for all the technical hub bub....Laugh if you will BUT:
I had the exact same issue with my coach...would loose power after slowing down or hitting the brake and re-accelerating.
I went nuts trying to figure out what was wrong...took it to Ford; they checked it out said all was well...started to drive it home; damn!
Same issue...on the freeway had to hit the brakes because of traffic and the re-accelerate....Well; OP: Your issue might not be this simple...but there's a good chance it is. I call it Code 13 triple E. (In honor of my big feet)
When I re-accelerated my foot was hitting the brake and the gas at the same time which caused the engine to "cut out"/ loose power...Made myself cognizant of the issue and watched carefully each time there after....
My problem is gone.
Hope it's that simple for you.
Maybe that was his problem too, since he hasn't responded to any of the posts.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QBH
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Woodburner makes a real valid point. I too have a 2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA F-53 chassis. I noticed right away how close the gas pedal is to the brake pedal. Much closser than those pedal were on my previous Allegro built on a Workhorse chassis. Sometimes, I must really think about NOT pressing both pedals at the same time.

Yes, it is a tad strange that the OP has not responded.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pedal placement was the problem with the run away Cherokees a few years back. Also, the WA. lemon laws are pretty good, my son had a 2003 Ford Expedition replaced due to a faulty air conditioner, Ford replaced it with a 2004, with a lot more options.