RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #1

Fuel Fill Extension

Hi Folks,

Got a question about my soon to be Vintage Allegro. It's a 27 foot Allegro 1991.
We have just about finished the refurb and before I get it painted I was wondering if anyone ever came up with a way to get the fuel filler situated so a gas nozel would stay in it with out having to hold it in the tank. My old back is starting to dislike that position.
In other words has anyone come up with some kind of tank neck extension, maybe one that is mounted to the side of the coach instead of behind that little locked door.

Thanks
Dave Lowa

AWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #2

Fuel Fill Extension

That should read FUEL not FUEK for obvious reasons.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
My previous rig was a 1991 Allegro Bay 27.5 foot class C. The fuel filler was located on the drivers side near the rear tire. Once, early on during the ownership of that motor home, I smelled an ongoing fuel leak of gas. When crawling under the rig and inspecting the area around the gas tank I found that the leak was caused by a nail being driven through the hose that led from the tank to the fuel filler. The hose was made of hard rubber and I replaced it.

The point I'm making is that you could consider replacing the filler hose and route it to a side location that would be better for you, or at least replace the filler assembly with a different one.. Call Tiffin and give them your year, model number and vin and they should be able to help. I'm pretty sure that they would have the filler assembly in stock or at least fabricate one for you.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question: Do you want to stick it in and walk away? That is a no-no in many states for those doing the self service thing, the station can get in trouble.

I have heard of the pump being shut off when a customer did that.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:27 AM   #5

No, no walking

No, I don't want to leave it, I just want to be able to stand up and not hold it in the tank.

Dave Lowa
Old 07-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wanted to be sure of that.. Unless the vheicle is old enough to have been designed for leaded fuel,, You should not have a problem.. It it only in states like California that I have to hold the blasted nozzle in my tank.. I've never seen a vehicle larger than a motorcycle where that was not the case.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL View Post
No, I don't want to leave it, I just want to be able to stand up and not hold it in the tank.

Dave Lowa
instead of redesigning the filler, why not screw a foot long piece of velcro to the filler neck area. wrap it around the nozzle handle and fasten it. I keep a piece of velcro by my fill, to use when you find nozzels that don't lock.

Tags
fuel