Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #1

Question Fuel Indication issues

Hi Folks, Used 2005 Bus. The fuel gauge has never shown full, usually showed 7/8. Which was OK by me. Then one filling it showed 1/4 when full. Could not find much info in the literature left by the previous owner. Have not contacted Freightliner yet. Hoping some one has had a similar problem and a simple fix. I am worried its a sending unit and will have to drop the tank. $$$ Thanks Fred
BusDrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Unfortunately I think you are right about it being the sending unit. The unit varies the amount electricity to the gauge, with a full tank, check the voltage at the fuel gauge, if it is close to 12 volts, then the sending unit is OK and the gauge is the problem, if not, then either the sending unit is bad or you have a bad wire, which means hand chasing the wire from one end to the other.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #3

Before you drop the tank, take a look at your tank fill lines and fill line vents. They can be viewed from below at the rear of each front wheel well. The fill pipes need to be sloped down from the fill to the tank inlet. WHen it goes horizontal or even up-hill, you get an air lock during the very end of the fill process and the tank will not fill all the way. Same for the vent that goes from the tank to the fill pipe just inside the fill fitting. If you see these horizontal or sloped the wrong way, you can adjust them with a few zip ties, or by loosening the screw clamps on either end and rotating the line to achieve the correct slope/

Definitely cheaper than dropping the tank, and not too big a job for a reasonably handy guy. It solved my problem when I had similar issues as you describe.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, fuel