Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #1

Fuel shut off switch

I have 2005 Allegro Bus 38TGP. Does anyone know if there is a fuel shut off switch for this coach, and where it might be? Is there a fuse, relay or solenoid for the fuel system? If so, where might it be? Engine is Cummins 400ISL. Engine won't start and I need to troubleshoot fuel/pump system so that I can travel this week.
yudamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2009, 10:51 PM   #2

In our Bus there are circuit breakers in the driver side compartment just ahead of the radiator. The box is in the same area as the transfer switch, but above it at the top of the compartment. Also be sure the plugs on that box are secure. If you are in that area when someone turns on the ignition, you should hear the fuel boost pickup pump go on. The CB for it is in that box and there is a plug for it there too. No pump, no start.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:03 AM   #3

Thanks Pigman, I will look in that compartment. That may be where all the other fuses and breakers are that I can't find for such things as headlights, tail lights, most of the switches at the entry door console, etc.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #4

On mine, the same box has toad tail and directional signal CB's as well as a number of others. These are not the same as the Bus lights, and the diagram in the box top is not correct or very descriptive. Your best bet is a volt meter. On mine I need a #1 Phillips to get the top off.

I have a lot of front items on a CB box under the lower drawer in the center of the front console. The diagram on this one is somewhat better, but the guys doing these could use a good tech writer. This one has the top held on with spring clips. Of course, the driver side forward basement compartment has a number of DC power CB's for the battery and ignition busses.

Good luck, John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
In our Bus there are circuit breakers in the driver side compartment just ahead of the radiator. The box is in the same area as the transfer switch, but above it at the top of the compartment. Also be sure the plugs on that box are secure. If you are in that area when someone turns on the ignition, you should hear the fuel boost pickup pump go on. The CB for it is in that box and there is a plug for it there too. No pump, no start.

John
Pigman, I have 2 boxes w/ circuit protection devices. In one I found 2 blown mini fuses, each marked IGN. I had hoped that at least one of them was the transfer pump fuse. Replacing both did nothing. I still do not hear the xfr pump running during the 30 second wait time in the priming sequence, so I have given up on priming until I can locate the pump problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #6

Would you post the solution to your problem? I also have an 05 Bus and would like to know just in case.
chastho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #7

Chasto, my bus was finally fixed today. After many consultations w/ Freightliner & Cummins during the problem ID phase, all indications were that it was that the lift pump was not working. Without the pump working, no fuel was being delivered to the cylinders. This was after eliminating clogged filters by replacing the final fuel filter and the fuel/water separator, filling the vessels with fresh diesel fuel and not being able to prime the system [the pump would not run]. Also, pulling all fuses and relays to see that they worked. I had it towed 90 miles to the nearest Cummins repair center. CoachNet paid 100% of my tow, which was great. It turned out that the problem was the ECM, engine computer module which controls a lot of things including the lift pump. Cummins replaced it with new and covered all costs under warranty. Thinking that this was the end of the story, I drove the MH home. Enroute I found that the cruise control did not work, an annoyance, but I called Cummins to ask if perhaps a wiring harness was not snugged up. I was surprised to learn that they only programmed the minimum parameters for the engine to run, not all codes that were originally loaded when the coach was built. They said that if I got the parameters from Freightliner, they would program the ECM at no additional cost. When I called FL, they said that a lot of the functions were probably not working, including the engine brake! FL immediately initiated a 3-way call to Cummins and me, and arranged to have the data sent to Cummins immediately so that I would have full functions. I drove the MH back and had this done today. It was not easy as the ECM and the FL computer did not get along well and it took quite a while for both sides to study the data and resolve this and fully restore all coach functions. I was shocked that Cummins let me drive the vehicle away without telling me that everything did not work. The lack of engine brake is a serious life safety issue should one need to actuate the brake and it not function at all. The good news is that FL & Cummins worked it out, but I am still unhappy with the manner in which it was handled by Cummins. Needless to say, I did not accept the vehicle today without a road test first. This should have been done prior to originally releasing the vehicle back to me.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #8

Glad you got it fixed. I agree, they should not have let you drive away, knowing the ECM was not fully loaded. Good service is getting harder to find.
You might want to rate your Cummins dealer here:
http://www.rvservicereviews.com/

JD