Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2019, 03:29 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
GCWR differs between Freightliner spec and Tiffin spec

The Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) shows a different spec in the 2019 Freightliner spec sheet (38,320 lbs.) and the manufacture's (Tiffin) brochure spec (48,320) for my coach. Does anyone know which is correct?
The GVWR in both is 38,320 which matches the spec on the door sill. There is no GCWR spec (that I can find) on the door sill or anywhere else on the coach.
I weighed the coach on my way home after picking it up and the coach and toad weight worked out to be 37,422 (full gas & fresh water + 2 passengers) so I'm under by 900 lbs. either way - but close once I start adding everything we'll need to go full time. So I'd like to know how close .
The coach is rated with a 10,000 lb. towing capacity - which doesn't make any sense if the GCWR and GVWR are the same per the Freightliner spec.
I've combed through the Freightliner owner and maintenance manual - but that didn't help (towing section just shows the max that the transmission is rated for).
[moderator edit]
Thanks in advance for any input.

Ed
Nildecaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2019, 10:59 PM   #2

2019 Freightliner spec sheet (38,320 lbs.) and the manufacture's (Tiffin) brochure spec (48,320) for my coach. Does anyone know which is correct?
The GVWR in both is 38,320 which matches the spec on the door sill.

Freightliner doesn't show 37bh...instead have a 36bh listed
So I think Freightliner has wrong number for GCVWR

Contact Freightliner and inquire

24/7 DIRECT
CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE OR CONCERNS
1-800-FTL-HELP (1-800-385-4357)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:56 AM   #3

My rv has two tags. One is on the wall above the drivers seat. It is the chassis tag from Freightliner. I also have a separate one from Coachmen. It is in the forward most upper cabinet above the passenger seat on the back wall. On mine, Freightliner lists my gvwr at 27,000 plus pounds. The Coachmen one lists my gvwr at 26,400 lbs. Something Coachmen has done has lowered the gvwr by almost a 1000 lbs. You should have a second tag somewhere in the rv. The manufacturers tag would override the chassis one, as they may have altered the frame to suit their needs. Somewhere on the rv, it should list your gross combined weight limit.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nildecaf View Post
The Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) shows a different spec in the 2019 Freightliner spec sheet (38,320 lbs.) and the manufacture's (Tiffin) brochure spec (48,320) for my coach. Does anyone know which is correct?
The GVWR in both is 38,320 which matches the spec on the door sill. There is no GCWR spec (that I can find) on the door sill or anywhere else on the coach.
I weighed the coach on my way home after picking it up and the coach and toad weight worked out to be 37,422 (full gas & fresh water + 2 passengers) so I'm under by 900 lbs. either way - but close once I start adding everything we'll need to go full time. So I'd like to know how close .
The coach is rated with a 10,000 lb. towing capacity - which doesn't make any sense if the GCWR and GVWR are the same per the Freightliner spec.
I've combed through the Freightliner owner and maintenance manual - but that didn't help (towing section just shows the max that the transmission is rated for).
[moderator edit]
Thanks in advance for any input.

Ed
Obviously, the FCCC spec is either a typo or just plain wrong. By definition, if the GCVWR and the GVWR are the same, that means the chassis can't tow anything. Normally, "most" DP chassis provide a 10,000 pound tow rating-some are more- so the GCVWR posted by Tiffin would be correct.

Your weighing the coach and toad TOGETHER should only be compared to the GCVWR (48,320) so you really don't know how much weight you can add to the coach. THAT can only be determined by subtracting the actual weight of the coach only from the GVWR of 38,320. Hopefully, it will allow you much more than 900 pounds, because that is not nearly enough, especially for a full-timer.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:56 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
hmm we had a small issue close to what you describe back in 09 when we got our bus.
I called F/L and they sent me a huge PDF document that showed by VIN exactly what was on my chassis and its weight rating if applicable.

if you have not done that, i would at a minimum to give some help. then do the same with tiffin.

for instance..my rear axle was rated by damon at 20k...meritor had it rated at 22k
so we stay at 20k or less

cool thing was brakes and STOPPING parts were rated much higher. ??
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks all for the info and feedback. I will definitely reach out to Freightliner as suggested.
@Edgray - We got a 3 part weight (coach front & rear axel & separate toad weight). Both coach axel weights are more than 2,000 lbs. under the allowed axel weight ratings and the coach is way, way under the GVWR. So I expect that we'll never come close to these limits.
Again, thanks to all - I'll post an update when I get the details from F/L.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:01 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Answer provided by Freightliner:
Well, I finally got around to calling Freightliner (1-800-FTL-HELP / 1-800-385-4357) to get their answer, as suggested by several of you, to my original question.
They asked me for my VIN (as expected) and then told me they could only provide the GVWR and that I should use the GCWR provided by Tiffin.
So, all in all we're about 4,000 lbs. under the GCWR with our '14 Jeep.

Tags
tiffin, freightliner